Episode 08 - As Long As It Matters

Me And The Twins Next Door

"I still can't believe I have a twin. And I still can't believe it's you!" Grace said to Pets as they were walking at the orphanage's garden. "I can't believe I  would be able to find you right away. It's been a few weeks ago when I found out I was adopted and I have a twin sister. When my parents told me that, the first thing I did is to fly back here to find you." Pets told her. 

 

Grace gave her sister a curious look. "So, you don't live here in Taipei?" she asked. Pets shook her head. "My family lives in Canada, since my dad has work there." Pets explained. Grace nodded in understanding. "So that's why we have not bumped into each other before. But I'm so happy to have a sister!" Grace said. "Me too. I wonder, what would live have been if we weren't separated, right:?" Pets said. Grace let out a sigh. "Then, I have one more person to trust to. I can trust you, right, Xiao Yue?" Grace asked. Pets nodded her head. "Of course. You can trust me." Pets said. 

 

Grace held her hand as she smiled at her twin sister. "You made me feel complete now,  Xiao Yue. I'm very happy we found each other." she told her. Pets smiled at her. "Then, we should always keep in touch, OK? Don't lose me again." Grace said with a pout, making Pets laugh. "Of course. I'll make sure I won't lose you again, Xiao Xing." Pets assured her. "And we will not separate again?" Grace asked. 

 

Pets let out a sigh. "Grace, you have your own life to live. I didn't want to disrupt your life just because of our past. Mr. Ming is still your father. And I... I might have to go back to Canada soon..." Pets told her. Grace let out a pout when she heard that. "And I thought we'll be together forever..." Grace said sadly as she lowered her head. 

 

Pets lifted her chin, and smiled at her. "But, whenever you need me, I'm just a phone call away. And I have a few days left here in Taiwan. We can hang out during my last days, right?" Pets said. "Then, can I visit you in Canada from time to time?" Grace asked. Pets nodded her head. With that, Grace finally smiled. She gave her twin sister a bear hug. 

 

--

 

"Mr. Ming, thank you for letting me meet my sister..."

 

Pets said to Gregory after Grace said goodbye to her and got inside the car. "I should be thankful that you did your best to find her. Thank you for coming back into her life." Gregory  told her. "Don't worry, Mr. Ming. All I want is to meet her. I won't cause any trouble to you or to her." Pets assured him. 

 

Gregory smiled, and patted her shoulder. "Pets, there's one thing I want you to promise me." he asked her. Pets gave him curious look. "W-what is it, Mr. Ming?" she asked. "You have to promise me to be always be there for your sister whatever happens. If one day, something happened to me, I want you to look after her, and take care of her. Can you do that for me, Pets?" Gregory asked. 

 

Pets looked at him in the eye as she nodded her head. "I will. I promise, I will." she assured him. The old man smiled at her. "Then, I'm at ease. Thank you, Pets." Gregory told her. Pets watched as Gregory retreated back to the car. As the car leaves, Grace opened the window and waved goodbye to her. Pets smiled,  and waved back at her sister. 

 

"So, are you contented and happy right now?" Aaron asked as he approached her. Pets looked at him, and nodded his head. "My sister is very pretty, and her sister is very handsome. I should protect her from the boys that would want to chase her." she said. Aaron let out a laugh. "You're a scary sibling, But kidding aside, I'm happy to see you happy, do you know that?" Aaron said. 

 

Pets looked at her, and found him  gazing at her. "Aaron..." she called. "Hmmm?" he said, not taking his eyes off her. "You're not falling in love with me, right? Because we're bros, remember?" Pets reminded him. Aaron sweat dropped again. Sometimes, he couldn't help but show his true feelings for her.  "Can I be happy for you as a friend?" he said. Pets let out a laugh. She put her arm around his neck, and ruffled his hair. 

 

"Thank you], bro. And as a token of my gratitude, let me treat you to some food at the night market. I'm hungry." she told him. Aaron let out a laugh. "Jet lag?" he asked. "No. Just hungry." she told him. "Then, I won't say no to free food. Let's go!" he told her. 

 

--

 

Ben stood by the living room as he stared at the door. He scratched his chin as he let out a sigh. "What's wrong with Aaron lately?" he thought. He knows his friend has just broken up with his girlfriend, and it will him a long time to recover from a heartbreak. But since Pets became their roommate, he became much happier.

 

"Does Aaron likes Pets? But Pets also likes girls, right?" he thought. "Aaron isn't home yet?" he heard Wayne asked. He looked back at him as he shook his head. "Are you waiting for him?" Wayne asked again. "I'm just getting worried. Aaron seems a little weird lately." Ben told him. "Since Pei Ci came, right?" Wayne said. 

 

Ben slowly turned to him. "You noticed too?" Ben asked. Wayne just gave him a smile. "I've noticed ever since the two became friends three years ago." Wayne told him. "Do you think he likes Pets?" Ben asked him. Wayne gave him a confused look. "Which pet?" Wayne asked. "Pets."

"What pet?"

"Pets!"

"Cats, dogs, or hamsters?"

 

Ben sweat dropped as he looked at Wayne. "I mean that girl! The new roommate!" Ben told him. "Ah! You mean Pei Ci!" Wayne finally understood. Ben nodded his head. "Pets is her English name." Ben informed him. "Weird name for a girl, but to answer your question, I think Aaron's in love with Pets." Wayne said. 

 

"Which pet?" Sam asked as he walked to the living room. Wayne and Ben sweat dropped as they looked at him. "Are we taking in a pet? Cats, dogs, or hamsters?" Sam asked excitedly. Ben just smacked himself in the head.

 

--

 

"Thank you boss!"

 

Aaron paid for the candied fruits, and then handed one stick to Pets. "Thanks." Pet said before taking a bite from it. Aaron watched as Pets' eyes widened as she ate her candied fruit. "Ah, this is so good!" Pets exclaimed. "Well, I'm glad you liked it." Aaron said. 

 

"Aaron, maybe we should buy the guys something to eat. Like a little celebration of sorts." Pets suggested. Aaron folded his arms, and gave her a curious look. "Does that include Sam?" he asked. "I'm in a good mood, so I'll include him. I just hope he won't insult me or start a fight with me." she said. Aaron let out a smile. "Then, let's buy more food!" Aaron said. 

 

They bought a lot of street food, including Pets' favorite bubble waffle. They went home with two bags of food. The moment they got home, the guys were surprised by the amount of food they took home. 

 

"Wow, this is a lot of food..." Wayne said with his eyes widened as he watched Pets and Aaron take out the food from the bag. "Whose birthday is it?" Ben asked as he looked at the food in awe. Aaron smiled at him. "It's no one's birthday. Pets is just happy today, and wanted to share her happiness." Aaron said. Wayne smiled at the short haired girl. "Well, we should always keep Pets happy so we get free food!" Wayne said. 

 

"What pets?" Sam asked as he get out of the room. He saw his roommates feasting. Wayne pointed at Pets. "That Pets." Wayne said. "Is she a pet? She looks like a pet." Sam asked. Pets could feel a vein popping from her forehead at what Sam said. She let out a smile as she controlled her temper. "My English name is Pets." she informed him. 

 

Sam looked at her for a long time. Then, he burst out laughing. "Pets? What kind of a stupid name is that?" he said. Aaron could see Pets turn red in anger. Before she could lash out on on him, he decided to step in. "Actually, I think Pei Ci's English name is cute and unique. And it kind sounds like her Chinese name. You know, Pets, and Pei Ci..." Aaron said. 

 

Wayne nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I think it's very unique." Wayne said. "I still think it's funny. Pets..." Sam said as he laughed. Pets let out an evil smile, and took a cup of bubble waffle, and shoved it to him. Then, she smiled sweetly at him while giving him an evil glare. "Here, have a bubble waffle, Sammy..." she said sweetly, girly voice. 

 

Sam was taken aback when he heard her speak. "I've heard that voice before..." he thought as he stared at her. Wayne gasped seeing what Pets gave him. "Not the bubble waffle!" he said. Aaron gave Wayne a confused look. "Why? Is he allergic to bubble waffle?" Ben asked. Wayne shook his head. "Worst, it will trigger some memories..." Wayne said. 

 

Pets let out a smirk. "Let me guess which memories... Sylvia?" she said. Sam opened his mouth to speak in his defense, but no words came out. Pets got him where his weakness lies. Wayne, on the other hand, could only face palm. "Don't say that name!" Wayne told her. "Sylvia Wen Yu Fei? Fei Fei?" Pets taunted him. 

 

Sam glared at her, and then  shoved the bubble waffle to her. "It's none of your business, creature." he told her. He walked past her, hitting her shoulder.  Pets looked at him, and smirked. "So, the ert has not moved on from her? Have you heard, she's still happily in love with Zheng ge. Poor, little Sammy, Fei Fei didn't choose him." Pets taunted him again. 

 

Sam paused, and closed his fist. Then, he turned around to face her angrily. "Sam, stop. She doesn't mean that!" Aaron said. He was scared of what Sam will do to Pets. Then, Sam walked up to her, and pulled her collar, making her face closer to her. "Don't kiss her!" Wayne blurted. Aaron gave Wayne a confused look. 

 

"Look..." he told her with a hint of pain in his voice. "You have no say in what I did in the past. You had no idea what really happened. So if you can't say anything nice, shut up." he told her. Pets looked bravely at him. "Why? Because it was all your fault, right? You cheated on her. And when you wanted her back, you're too late because she realized you're good for nothing, and that Zheng ge is way better than you." Pets said. 

 

Sam gritted his teeth as he looked at her. Pets looked at him with hatred. "That's what you guys do anyway, right? You play with a girl's feeling, and when you're tired of them, you'll just dump them. And then you move on to a new girl like nothing happened. But you don't know what happens when a girl gets hurt, am I right? You don't know about those sleepless nights she'll cry because of you. You don't know how she calls your name each night as she sleeps. You don't know how she wanted to die every night because the pain you caused her is unbearable." She told him. 

 

"Stop it!" Sam shouted at her. "And then you have the guts to ask her back? Just when she's ready to move on? Sam Lin, you're a jerk!" Pets shouted at her. He lifted his closed fist, readying himself to punch her. But before he could, Aaron held his arm.

 

Sam looked at Aaron. "Don't do this, Sam. She's still a girl, after all. Remember what you said? A guy who hurts a girl is the lowest of them all." he reminded her. Sam looked at Aaron, then at Pets. "You don't know what I've been through too. So don't you ever judge me." he said angrily as he let her go. Aaron and Pets watched as Sam walked away and get out of the house. He slammed the door as he leaves the house. 

 

Pets let out a sigh  of relief, and Aaron held her shoulder to support her. "Pei Ci... you know, Sam still hasn't moved on from Fei Fei." Wayne told her. "You shouldn't have told Pets about the memories. Look. Pets was able to use his weakness against him." Ben told Wayne. "He started it anyway. Making fun of my name." she said as she folded her arms. 

 

Aaron looked at Pets. He thought, something must have happened in her past that made her this way. Something must have hurt her before, that's why she didn't like Sam. But no matter what it is, he hoped to be the guy that will heal the pain in her heart.