Episode 11 - Twin Instinct

Me And The Twins Next Door

Aaron paces back and forth at the living room as he waited for Pets to come home. A few seconds later, he heard the door opened. He looked back, and saw Pets walking inside the house. "Pets!" he called her with a smile. "Ah, you look like you missed me."  she , making him laugh. "What if I did?" Aaron told her. It's true anyway. Whenever Pets is out  of his sight, he misses her. 

 

Pets folded her arms as she looked at him. "Why would you miss me? It's not like we've been away for so long." she said. Aaron let out a boyish smile as he scratched his head. "Anyway, how's your date?" Aaron asked. At that moment, Sam was going back to his room from the kitchen when he heard their conversation. "Oh, it's fun. I enjoyed being with her. I can't believe we have so much in common, it's like I've met my soulmate. I just wish we had longer time together..." Sam heard Pets tell Aaron. "You must really love her, huh?" Aaron said. "I love her even before I know her." Pets said. 

 

Sam furrowed his brow as he continued to eavesdrop. "So, this creature think that girl is her soulmate? Does it exist? This creature must really be in love..." he thought. "I'm pretty sure she feels the same way for you." Sam heard Aaron tell her. "I hope so. I really, really love her, Aaron. I don't know how I'll live if I lose her." Pets said. 

 

A sly smile formed in Sam's lips. "Unless I steal this girl away from you." he thought. He looked at Pets, and an evil plot came into his mind. "I'm going to steal that girl from you, Pets. Let's see who's more handsome between the two of us." he thought. Then, he went to his room, unnoticed by the two. 

 

"You won't lose your twin sister, trust me. I think she loves her big sister too." Aaron assured Pets. "But... I don't know..." Pets said. Aaron could see the hesitation on his face. "What's wrong?" he asked. "I... I had a bad feeling, all right? I know I have to go home soon, but I still don't want to. I don't want to leave her." Pets said. Aaron smiled at her, and then patter her shoulder. "It's going to be fine. If you want, once you're back home, I'll look after Xiao Xing." Aaron said. 

 

Pets folded her arms as she looked sternly at him. "Aaron, you're not planning to pursue my twin sister, are you?" she said. Aaron sweat dropped upon hearing what she said. "Of course not! I'm going to look after her because you're my bro." he told her. "Good. Because no guy is allowed to be near my sister. Not even you" she said with a smile. Aaron just let out a laugh. He put his arm around her, and looked at her. "I'll make sure of that, don't worry." he said. He looked at her, and smiled. "In my eyes right now, I can only see you..." he thought.

 

Pets looked at his arm, and then at him. "Aaron, you're being too close." she said. Aaron immediately took off his arm around her. "Ah, I think I should go and prepare the dinner now. Do you have anything in mind that you want to eat?" he asked. Pets smiled at him. "Anything's fine with me. I'll go back to my room first, all right?" she said. Aaron nodded his head. As Pets walked towards her room, Aaron smiled to himself. 

 

--

 

Grace sat on her bed. She fidget her hand as she cried silently. She heard a soft knock on the door, but she chose to ignore it for now. "Grace?" she heard her father call. She looked at the door, and saw him entering her room. "I heard you fought with your stepmom..." he said. 

 

She lowered her head, and continued to cry. "What happened? Was it because you sneaked out to see Pets?" he asked. Grace nodded her head. "She told me I'm a brat..." she said. "And it hurt you?" Gregory asked. Grace nodded her head. "But, daddy... Pets called me first to meet up. I agreed to her first. I didn't know mom had guests, until I was ready to go. Of course, I want to see Xiao Yue, especially since she's going back to Canada soon." Grace explained. 

 

"Then, you should have explained it to her." her father said. "She won't hear me out. She just want me to do what she says. And you know what hurts, dad, she told me that I should be thankful I was adopted into this family. I know I am adopted, but does she have to slap that to my face?" Grace said. Gregory sighed, and shook his head. It seems that his wife and her daughter won't get along well. 

 

He put his arms around her, and wiped her tears. "Don't worry, I'll talk to your mom again. Don't cry now, all right?" he said. Grace just nodded her head. 

 

--

 

"Carolyn, we need to talk about Grace." 

 

Gregory said the moment he went inside their bedroom. He found his wife sitting on their matrimonial bed. Carolyn rolled her eyes as she sighed. "Why? You got swayed again with her tears?" she asked sarcastically. Gregory sighed as he put his hand on his waist. "Grace already told you she is meeting someone, didn't she?" he said.

 

Carolyn looked away from her husband. "She said she already agreed to meet a friend before you mentioned about the tea party here with some guests. Of course, she would honor her word to her friend. Why do you have to force her to stay, and ditch her friend?" Gregory asked. This time, Carolyn face her husband. "I'm doing this for her own good. What if something happened to her outside. And besides, the people I invited are very important." she argued. 

 

"Important? What are you going to discuss? All about the fashion week? Look, I told you time and time again, don't force her to do something she doesn't want to do." he scolded her wife. This made Carolyn exasperated. "Why are you always siding with her? She's not even you're real daughter!"

"She is my daughter, whether she's adopted or not."

"So, you're saying I'm wrong again this time? Is it bad for me to introduce her to people that will help her someday?"

"I doubt if your friends will be able to help her. And I trust my daughter's judgement when it comes to people, OK?"

"Fine! She's always right anyway. She's not even a real Ming!"

 

Gregory took a deep breath as she looked firmly at his wife. Sometimes, her wife's stubbornness irritates him, and tonight is one of those times. "She is a real Ming. She will be a real Ming. She's more real that you could ever be." he told him. Carolyn glared at him. She stood up from the bed, and stomped. "Whatever!" she shouted at him before walking into the bathroom. 

 

--

 

"Xiao Yue?"

 

She looked back and Pets saw her twin sister waving at her. She smiled at her. "Xiao Xing!" she called. Then, suddenly, it drizzled. She looked up, and the sun was gone, replaced by the grey sky. She looked back at her twin, and saw her drenched in the rain. "Xiao Xing?" she called. She walked towards her to reach her. "Xiao Yue... help me, Xiao Yue..." Grace faintly said Pets reached her hand to her. But before Grace could hold her, a wall came between them. "Xiao Xing!" she called frantically. "Xiao Yue, help me!" she could hear her sister call. "Xiao Xing, don't worry, I'll come and get you!" Pets told her. She was in tears as she tried to find a way to be with her sister. But before she could make a move she heard her shout.

 

"Xiao Xing!"

 

Pets sat up from her bed. Beads of cold sweat formed in her forehead. She took a deep breath upon realizing it was just a dream. Then, she heard a knock on the door. "Pets? Are you all right? I heard you shouting..." she heard Aaron say. She stood up from her bed and opened the door. Aaron looked at her, and saw how agitated she looked. "What's wrong?" he asked worriedly. "I... I had a bad dream about Xiao Xing...." she said. 

 

Aaron was surprised at what she said. He pulled her out of her room, and made her sit on the couch at the living room. Then, he went to the kitchen to give her water. Aaron sat beside Pets and looked at her as she drank up her water. "What's your dream about?" Aaron inquired. "I dreamed that something bad happened to Xiao Xing, and she was asking me for help. It all felt so real. I'm... I'm scared...." she told anxiously. 

 

Aaron put his arm around her, as Pets leaned on his shoulder. "Don't worry, it just a dream. Usually, it's the opposite that will happen in real life, right?" Aaron told her. "I... I don't know. I just had a feeling I shouldn't leave her yet. Maybe I should delay going home first? I just wanted to make sure my twin sister is OK." Pets said. Aaron nodded in agreement. "You know, there's a myth about twin instinct. They say twins can read each other's mind, or feel what the other feels. Or, if one is in danger, the other twin will feel it." 

"Aaron, do you think it's my twin instinct kicking in?"

"Could be."

 

Pets let out a yawn. "Then, I guess I should listen to it, right?" she said in a sleepy tone. Aaron nodded his head. "I think you should. If you feel you don't want to leave Xiao Xing yet,then don't do it. Your parents would understand, right?" he said. As he looked at her, he saw her sleeping in his arms. He felt his heart beating fast, having Pets this close to her. He stared at her as  he studied her features. "You're so beautiful up close..." he thought. Then, he let out a smile. Silently, he thank the deities watching over him for his luck that night. 

 

--

 

Sam woke up the next day. As he got out of his room, he stretched out his arm. He noticed two people sitting at the living room. "Who could it be?" he thought. Curious, he went to the living room to take a look. He was surprised to see Pets and Aaron together, with Pets sleeping on Aaron's shoulder, and Aaron having his arm around Pets. This made him confuse.

 

"What do you really like, creature? Boys or girls? Well, Aaron could pass as a girl... but... why him?" he thought as he looked at them. Shortly after, Wayne came out of his room, and saw Sam. "Sam?" he called. Sam looked at him, and signaled him to be quiet. Then, he pointed at them. Curious as well, Wayne went to the living room. As he looked at the couch, his jaw dropped upon seeing Aaron and Pets together. "Oh my God, you're almost there, Aaron! Hang on! Just a few more and you'll get your chance with Pets!" he thought. 

 

Sam looked at Wayne, and saw him smiling. "What's with these two?" Sam asked. Wayne just smiled at him. Pets, on the other hand, felt someone watching them. She slowly opened her eyes, and saw Sam standing. Aaron also began to wake up as he felt Pets move. "Good morning." Sam greeted, smiling at her. Pets' eyes widened seeing him smiling at him that way. "What's wrong with this idiot?" she thought. "Morning..." Aaron said as he yawn. 

 

"Aaron, I think you had a good night sleep, huh?" Wayne said, giving him a playful smile. Aaron gave him a confused look, until Wayne pointed his arm. He looked at it, and it's still around Pets. Aaron was shocked to see it. "What's wrong? You guys haven't seen a guy and girl hang out before?" Pets said as she put her arm on his neck. Aaron froze at what she did. "We're just concerned for Aaron. Because you might have took advantage of him." Sam told her. Pets let out a smirk. "I'm not as erted as you." she told him. 

 

"OK, OK... before you two fight again, I would like to remind you we still have classes. And we're going to be late for the first period, so can we all prepare and go?" Wayne said. Aaron slowly nodded his head. Pets looked at Aaron, and smiled at him. "All right, then I'll let you go, bro. See you later." she told him before leaving the three boys in the living room.