Episode 05 - Grab The Chance, Aaron!

Me And The Twins Next Door

Aaron stood in front of Pets' door. He had been wanting to see her and talk to her, but he starts to get nervous. He lifted his hand to knock, but hesitation came over him. He was scared Pets' might push him away, or she's still in the bad mood because of what happened earlier. 

 

"Aaron, you can do this!" He cheered himself. He took a deep breath. As he was about to knock, the door opened and he saw Pets. "Are you just going to stand there?" She asked. Aaron smiled, and scratched his head. "You know I'm here?" He asked. "I can actually hear you say 'Aaron, you can do this.' and you're the only Aaron in this house, right? Unless your English name isn't Aaron..." Pets said. Aaron smiled awkwardly at her.

 

Pets folded her arms, and leaned by the door. "So, what do you want?" She asked. "I was wondering if you need any help. And I was about to ask if you have already eaten." Aaron asked. Pets looked behind her, then looked at Aaron.  "Nah, I'm good." Pets said. "Are you sure? I cooked a lot today, would you like to eat with me?" Aaron said. 

 

Before Pets could answer, her stomach growled again. Aaron tried to suppress his laughter. He saw the annoyed look on her face. "Why am I always hungry when I have jet lag?" She muttered. "Then, join me for lunch? Don't worry. Ben, Wayne and Sam had already eaten ahead of us, so you won't have to see Sam." Aaron said. Pets gave him a hesitating look. "Is this for free?" She asked. "Of course! Aren't we friends and brothers?" Aaron said with a laugh. 

 

Then, Pets smiled and Aaron felt like melting seeing her smile at him. "Then, let's eat!" She said as she closed the door behind her. As Aaron looked at her, he let out a silent cheer.

 

Pets saw that Aaron had already prepared their food on the table. She sat down, and helped herself with Aaron's cooked food. Both of them are silently at the table. 

 

"So, why did you come back? Are you going to study here or stay here for good?" Aaron asked. Pets looked at him and took a deep breath. "I can trust you, right? You're my friend, right?" Pets said. Aaron nodded his head. "I'm running away from a crazy girlfriend." Pets said. As Aaron's eyes widened, Pets let out a laugh. "Just kidding!" She said.

 

Aaron let out a sigh of relief. "So, why are you here in Taiwan?" He asked again. He saw Pets' face turned serious this time. "I'm looking for someone from my past..." Pets said with a hint of sadness. 

 

Aaron out down his chopsticks to listen to her. "I found out recently that I am adopted, and that I have a twin sister. I want to find my sister and my biological mother. I wanted to know why she gave me and my sister up. After I get my answers, I'll go back home." Pets explained. "Then, do you know where to start looking?" Aaron asked. Pets nodded her head. There is an orphanage next to Bai He University. That's my starting point." Pets said. Aaron nodded his head. "Ah, yes. I know that orphanage. It's called Summer House." Aaron told her. 

 

"I'm planning to go there tomorrow..." Pets said. Aaron let out a smile. He knew this is his chance to be more closer to Pets. "I'm free tomorrow. Do you want me to go with you? I know you're new here and you still don't know your way around. I can accompany you." Aaron said. Pets let out a smile. "Are you sure?" She asked. Aaron nodded his head. "All right, go with me tomorrow." She said.

 

In his mind, Aaron cheered himself. "Then, after that, we can go to the food stalls. The food there are the bomb." He told her. Pets looked at him sternly. "I'm here for my mission, not to go on a food trip." She reminded him. Aaron let out a boyish smile. "Jet lag." He reminded her as well. Then, Pets tummy growled again. Aaron laughed as she blushed with embarrassment. He took his chopsticks, and put more food on her bowl. "Here, eat more. You'll need it." He told her. 

 

Pets smiled at her, and began to eat. Aaron could feel his cheek became warm as he blushed. 

 

--

 

Wayne walked  out of his room, and saw Aaron getting ready to go out. Then, he let out a smile. "Oh, you're going to school now? Let's walk together!" Wayne told him. "No, I'm not. I'm going somewhere else." Aaron told him. Wayne gave him a confused look. He knew Aaron would only skip classes if he wants to spend time with his girlfriend, but right now, he doesn't even have a girlfriend. 

 

Then, Pets came out of her room. "I'm ready to go!" she said, smiling at Aaron. Aaron smiled at him. Wayne looked at Aaron with confusion. "But don't you have cla-"

 

Before Wayne could continue, Aaron covered his mouth. Aaron laughed, making both Wayne and Pets sweat drop. He smiled at Pets, but shot a glare a Wayne. "Shut up, or I will slash your neck while you're sleeping." He whispered viciously to Wayne while smiling. Wayne just nodded his head in fear. 

 

"Is anything wrong?" Pets asked them as he watched Aaron let Wayne go. "Nothing. We're fine." Wayne said as he scratched his head. Although Aaron looks like a cinnamon roll, he can be vicious sometimes. "Then, let's go?" Pets asked Aaron. Aaron nodded his head and extended his hand for her to hold, but Pets ignored it and went out of the door. 

 

Wayne just laughed as Aaron kept staring at his hand. "I'll have a chance to hold her hand later." Aaron said. "Ya Lun. May I remind you, she likes girls, all right? She likes my girlfriend. And Sylvia." Wayne told him. Aaron just smiled at him. "I'll make her like me." Aaron said. He said goodbye to Wayne, and followed Pets outside. 

 

Sam came out of his room, ready to go to class, when Wayne spoke Sylvia's name. He paused for a while, feeling heartbroken again hearing her name. "Take care, you two! Good luck Aaron!" he heard Wayne shout on the door. He composed himself, and walked up to him. "Who's that?" he asked coolly. Wayne looked at him, and smiled. "Aaron and Pei Ci." Wayne said. 

 

Sam let out a smile. "Oh, that creature left?" he asked. Wayne nodded his head. "Good. She'll ruin my day if I get to see her. Hey, you want to go together to school?" Sam asked. With that, Wayne smiled. "I can get to ride your car?" he asked. Sam nodded his head. "I won't say no to that!" Wayne told him. 

 

--

 

"Here we are!" Aaron said as they stood in front of an old house. Pets looked at the worn out sign outside the house. "Summer House..." she read. Aaron looked at her. and saw the hesitation and sadness in her face. "This is your starting point..." he told her. 

 

Pets wasn't too sure if she's ready to find out the truth. Before, she was determined to know about her past. But now that she's here, she's starting to get scared. What if she wouldn't like what she will know. She felt a warm hand held hers, and it seems all her hesitation and fears were gone in an instant. She looked at the guy beside him, giving him a boyish smile. "It will be all right. Trust me." she said. Pets smiled at him, and nodded her head.  

 

The two went inside the old house. By the front yard, they saw kids playing around. One woman was carrying a baby outside while watching the kids. "I was once like that baby before, I think. The one left here by her own mother." Pets said sadly. Aaron looked at her worriedly. Then, she let out a sad smile. "I'm just glad my mom and dad adopted me." she said. 

 

Shortly after, an elder woman approached them. "Hello, I'm Sha Li, the administrator of this orphanage. How may I help you?" she asked. Aaron smiled at the elder lady. "Hello, madam. I am Aaron, and this is my friend, Pei Ci. We would like to ask about a twin girls that was adopted 21 years ago..." Aaron said. 

 

Sha Li looked at Pets, and smiled at her. "Are you one of the twins that got adopted?" she asked. Pets nodded her head. "Then, let's go to my office so we can talk, all right?" Sha Li told them. The two followed her to her office. 

 

"I am one of the twins that got adopted 21 years ago." Pets said the moment they got inside the office. Sha Li looked at her, and smiled. "Xiao Yue or Xiao Xing?" Sha Li asked. "My adoptive parents said I'm the elder twin, so I must be Xiao Yue." Pets said. 

 

Sha Li walked towards her desk, and looked for her records from 21 years ago. A few minutes later, she found it. "I will never forget the twins. They were the only twins we had in here in history, so I still remember Xiao Yue and Xiao Xing." Sha Li said as she looked at Pets. "I'm glad to see you grew up well, Xiao Yue." she added. 

 

"My parents renamed me Pei Ci shortly after they adopted me. I go by my English name, Pets." Pets explained. Aaron looked at her, and smiled. "Ah, finally I know your English name." he said with a sigh of relief. "Then, tell me what you want to know. As long as it's beyond my knowledge and legal means, I can answer you." Sha Li told her as she sat on her chair. 

 

Pets and Aaron took their seat in front of her. "I want to know who my biological mother is." Pets asked her. Sha Li looked at her records, and let out a sigh. "Based on your birth records here, I was signed as your mother, since your real mother decided to leave you here." Sha Li said. 

 

Aaron looked over Pets, and saw the disappointed look on her face. He reached for her hand, and she held it tight. "But, I remember her..." Sha Li said. Aaron could see Pets' face lightened up upon hearing that. "Ruby Lin. She was a young teenage girl who got pregnant by her older boyfriend. She came here to Summer House to hide from her parents. She was scared of their reaction if they found out she's pregnant. From the start, she was determined to leave the two of you here to be adopted." Sha Li explained to her. 

 

Pets gave the elder woman a confused look. "But... but why?" she asked. "She knew she could never give the two of you a better life. She was young, and naive. She doesn't know what to do, so she decided that it's better for both of you to be adopted. A few days after you and your twin sisters were born, she left the Summer House. A few days later, your parents came, saw you and fell in love with you in an instant. They decided to adopt you right that moment." Sha Li explained. 

 

"And my twin sister?" Pets asked. "She got adopted too a few days later." Sha Li said. "Then, is there a way I can see my twin sister? Do you know who adopted her?" Pets inquired again. Sha Li smiled sadly at her. "I'm sorry, dear. But legally speaking, we can't tell you who adopted your twin sister. It's a confidential information." Sha Li said. 

 

Pets sighed sadly, as she lowered her head. She wanted to see her twin sister, but sadly, seems like she won't be able to do it. "Ah, but, is there a chance that her twin sister would know she's adopted by now? Maybe, in the future, she would come here and ask as well." Aaron said. He wanted to give hope to Pets in this dire situation. "That is possible." Sha Li said as he nodded in agreement. "If we leave Pets' contact information, can you give it to her sister when she come to find her?" Aaron said. Sha Li smiled at him. "Of course, I will.  Here, leave your contact details and I will give it to her if she decides to find you." Sha Li said as she handed Pets a piece of paper. 

 

Aaron let out a smile as he watched Pets write her details down. He was glad that he was able to help her somehow. 

 

--

 

"Are you all right?" 

 

Aaron asked as they were walking around the university area. Pets nodded his head. "I just need to find a way to see my twin sister..." Pets said determinedly. "But, the madam at the orphanage was not able to give you an information about your twin sister. How would you do that?" Aaron asked. Pets sighed as she shrugged her head. "I'll probably try to find some public records about my twin. But I'll try my best to search for her before I go back to Canada." Pets said. 

 

Aaron smiled at her. "I'll do my best to help you find her." he told her. Pets looked at him, and smile. Then, she held his hand. "Thank you for helping me, Ya Lun. You're a really good brother and good friend." Pets said. Aaron could feel his cheek become warm the moment Pets held his hand. 

 

"Aiyo, don't mention it. And call me Aaron. I started using my English name after high school." Aaron said. "Then, you guys should start calling me Pets. I still find it weird when someone calls me by my Chinese name." she said. Aaron nodded his head. "But, can I also call you Xiao Yue from time to time?" he asked. 

 

Pets shot a glare at him. "Are you kidding me?" she asked. Aaron let out an awkward laugh as he scratched his head. "Hey, I know you still have the jetlag, and we've been walking for so long. You want to grab something to eat?" Aaron suggested. Pets nodded her head. "Sure. My treat." she told him. 

 

--