Episode 22 - The Unlikely Friend

Me And The Twins Next Door

Pets watched as Riley and Xiao Hou trained Sam. "I wonder if he could do this job..." she thought. Then, she noticed Ian walking over their counter. "One Matcha frappe for table 19." Ian told her. Pets nodded her head, and began to make the drink.

 

"That new guy sure is interesting..." Ian told her. "What's so interesting about him?" she asked. "Imagine, getting a job here just to get his girlfriend back. I doubt if he'll last more than a week. He doesn't look like someone who knows how to do this kind of job." Ian explained. "Let him be." Pets told him. 

 

"Want to bet?" Xiu said as he approached the two. "One week, and he's gone here." Ian said. "Two weeks till Jenni fires him." Xiu said. Then the two looked at her, waiting for her bet. "I'm not betting on anything." she said. "Come on, Pets. It's just for fun." Xiu told her. Pets let out a sigh. "I bet he'll stay longer." she said. "All right, we have our bets cast. Whoever wins gets a free drink, all right?" Ian said. Pets just watched Xiu and Ian give each other a high five.

 

Meanwhile, Sam is getting confused with what Riley and Xiao Hou is telling him. He can't remember anything from what they have told him. "I think you're all set. Now, go to work." Xiao Hou told him. Sam just nodded his head. "I sure hope I remember everything..." he thought. 

 

Just then, a group of girls came in, and sat at one of the tables. "Go, and serve those new customers." Xiao Hou told him. Sam just nodded his head. He approached the girls, and smiled at them. "Welcome to Ikemen Coffee House. I'm Sam, your waiter for today." he said as he handed them their menu. 

 

"Annie, there's the cute barista!" one of the girls said. The rest of the girls all looked at Pets, and shrieked. Sam sweat dropped upon seeing their reaction. "Let me know if you're all ready to order." he told him. Then, one of the girls tugged his sleeves. "Hey, can we have the cute guy's number?" she asked, pointing at Pets. Sam looked at Pets, and then back at the girls. "You must be kidding me." he told them. He shook his head, and then took out his notepad and pen.

 

"So, are you ready to order?" he asked them. "We want him!" the other girl said, pointing at Pets. Sam glared at the girls. "Hey, this is a coffee shop, not a host club!" he told them off. Pets could see what was happening with Sam, so she decided to approach them. 

 

"Sam, what's going on?" she asked. The girls shrieked again upon seeing her. "These girls wanted you." he told her. Pets gave him a confused look. "They thought you're available to date." he explained. Pets nodded her head. 

 

Pets looked at the girls, and smiled. "I'm sorry, miss. But, I'm not free right now as I'm on my shift. If you want. I can make any drink that you would order from Sam." she said. "Then, can you take our order instead. He's so mean and rude." one of the girls complained. Pets glared at Sam. "Is that so?" she asked. "Yeah! We don't like him." another girl said. 

 

Pets let out a sigh, and smiled at them. "How about this. I can take your order, and make your drinks. Then let Sam serve it to you, all right?" she said. The girls agreed with her. "Then, can we have your number, too?" another girl asked. Pets just smiled at them. "As long as you become our regulars here at the coffee shop." she told them. "Then, we'll always come here until you give us your number." the girl said. Pets nodded her head.

 

Pets took their orders, and once she's done, she pulled Sam away from the table. "What do you think you're doing?" she asked him as she pulled him towards the counter. "Why are you so rude at the customers. Didn't you know, the customer is always right?" she told him. "This is not a host club. They want you." Sam told her. "You could have politely declined."

"They started it!"

"But that doesn't give you the right to be mean and rude to those girls. They are customers after all." 

 

Sam let out a sigh as he pouted. "I'm going to make their drink now, and you will serve it to them. Remember, be nice to them, all right?" she said. "I'm more handsome than you." Sam whined as Pets went back behind the counter. Pets smirked at him. "Idiot, that's not the case right now. In their eyes, I'm the most handsome." she told him. 

 

A vein popped in his forehead as he glared at her. "You creature... one day I'll get back at you." he told him. "I'll wait for that day, idiot." she told him. 

 

--

 

Aaron was walking around the classroom, when he passed by the Foreign Studies building. "I wonder if Grace has already made friends. Does she have someone to have lunch with?" he asked himself. As he turned to look, he saw Grace walking out with the building, and talking to a classmate. "Looks like I don't have to worry about her. 

 

He saw her waving at him. Aaron waved back at her. Then, she ran towards her. "Oh, I thought you're going to lunch with your classmate?" Aaron asked as she approached him. "Well, they asked me to go, but then I saw you, so I told them I'm having lunch with you." Grace said. 

 

Aaron felt touched upon hearing what she said. "Really?" he asked. "Don't you want to have lunch with me?" she asked. Aaron smiled at her as he pinched her nose. "Of course, I do, silly girl." he said. Grace let out a smile.

 

Seeing Grace smile like that, Aaron felt his heart beat fast. "Uh-oh... why am I feeling this way towards Grace?" he thought. Then, he felt Grace hold his hand, and he could feel his heart beating faster. "Then, let's go! The sandwich Xiao Yue made today is very tasty." she said. Aaron felt that he blushed as he smiled at her. "R-really?" he asked. Grace nodded her head. 

 

Then, Grace furrowed her brow seeing Aaron red. "Aaron, what's wrong? Why are you red? Are you all right?" she asked. Aaron swallowed hard as he looked at her. "A-am I?" he asked. Grace nodded her head. She put the palm of her hand onto his forehead to check his temperature. "You feel normal. Are you sure you're all right?" she asked again. Aaron let out a nervous laugh. "Don't mind me. It's just the heat. Come on, I'm hungry." he said. 

 

She took his hand, and pulled him towards the cafeteria. Aaron could only look at her hand as they walked. "No, Aaron. Stop thinking about things. Think of Grace as a friend, all right?" he said to himself. 

 

--

 

Riley, Ian, Xiao Hou and Xiu just watched as Sam failed with his work once again. This time, a glass of water fell on the customer's lap. Sam apologized, but their customer was mad at him. 

 

"Three days. Three days, and he's fired." Xiao Hou said. "I bet he won't come back tomorrow." Riley said. Pets just listened to him. "Come on, the guy has a room for improvement. It's his first day." Pets told them. "This guy is beyond our help." Riley said. "Ah, good thing Pets was able to grasp my training right away. I'm lucky to have her as a barista." Xiu said. 

 

"So, should we put out the Help Wanted sign once again?" Ian asked. The four then let out a laugh. Pets watched Sam, and could only flinch as she watch him fail at his job. "I don't know what's going on with that mind of yours, idiot, but you're going to lose your job if you keep doing what you're doing now." she thought. "Hey, stop laughing at him. Tell me, didn't you also made the same mistake during your first day here? Give the guy a slack, all right?" she told them off. The four fell silent at what Pets said. 

 

First, Sam was mean to his first customer. Then, he gave the customer the wrong order. This time, he was too clumsy that the water fell onto the customer, making the customer mad. "One... chocolate shake... please..." Sam said wearily. "I'll do it." Xiu volunteered. 

 

Pets looked at him worriedly. "Look, just admit defeat, all right?" she told him. "I don't admit defeat!" Sam told her. "Why are you here in the first place? Just to prove you can gain more girls than me? Sammy, I'm not here for the girls. I'm here to earn a living." she told him. "I'm here because -"

 

Sam stopped midway through his sentence. Why did he took the job anyway? Just because Fifi dumped him? He doesn't need to earn money, since he's living through his inheritance. Is he trying to prove anything? "This job is not for you." Pets told him, as he continued what he's doing. "You're just a rich kid who got dumped, so you worked here to prove to me that you're more handsome than me." Pets told him again. 

 

Sam glared at her, rather offended at what she said. "Hey!" he shouted. "If you want, all right, I'll admit defeat. You're more handsome than me. Now, you can resign from this job so that someone who needs it the most can be hired, all right?" Pets said. Then, he placed the drink she made on the counter. "Mango shake for table 2!" she shouted.

 

--

 

"I'm not fired?!"

 

Sam could not believe that Jenni still asked him to come back the next day. "I can't believe I'm not fired!" he thought as he walked home. It was a tough first day of work for him, but he sure had fun working. Although he had some mishaps for today, he's determined to work harder the next day. And he's determined to show Pets that girls can like him more. 

 

"Congratulations on not being fired."

 

He heard someone say. He looked back, and saw Pets walking towards him. "I just hope tomorrow, you'll work harder, and much better, all right?" she told him. Sam paused for a while. "Wait, is she encouraging me?" he asked in his thoughts. "Don't worry, when I first started working, I was like you as well. But I know you can get through it. Thank you for your hard work."

 

Before walking away from him, Pets let out a smile. Then, Sam remembered something. "That smile..." he thought. "That was the smile of the girl in my dreams last night..."