Episode 15 - Star And Moon

Me And The Twins Next Door

"Daddy!"

 

Grace sat up from her bed as she woke up. In a split second, everything sunk into her. Her father's gone, leaving her all alone. She couldn't hold on the pain in her heart, and all she could do is cry again. "Daddy..." she called as she cried. 

 

She hugged her knees as she remember her happy moments with her father. Remembering his gentle smile made her cry anymore, because she knows she would never see him ever again. "Young miss?" Claire called her as she entered her room. Claire's heart wrenched seeing her in this condition. 

 

She put the tray of food on the table, and then went to her bed and sat beside her. "Young miss, you need to eat." she told her. Grace shook her head. Claire looked at her worriedly. "But you haven't eaten anything since yesterday. Please, Miss Grace..." she pleaded. Grace could only answer with a sob.

 

Claire knew Grace is still in pain. She knew she can't accept her father's death. "Daddy... I want to see my daddy..." Grace cried again. Claire looked sadly at her. She had never seen her this sad. She reached for her, and gave her a hug as she cried, hoping it would help her to ease the pain at least. 

 

--

 

Pets sat on the couch after pacing back and forth in the living room. She looked at her phone, and still, there's no reply from Grace. 

 

"Pets, are you all right?" Wayne asked as he joined her. Pets looked at him, and nodded his head. "You looked bothered..." he pointed out. "I'm just waiting for someone to reply to my messages, but she has not replied to me." she said. Wayne scratched his chin. "A girl?" he asked. Pets nodded his head. 

 

As Aaron got inside the house, he overheard Wayne and Pets talking. "Did you two had a fight? You're worried she's mad at you?" Wayne asked again. Pets shook her head. "We were happy the last time we saw each other." Pets answered. Wayne nodded his head. "But..."

 

"Wayne, can you take this in the kitchen. I'm sure it's your turn to cook today." Aaron said, as he handed him the groceries. Wayne looked at him, and nodded his head. Before he left, he went to Aaron to whisper to him. "Can you talk to her? She seems so agitated. Must be girl problems." he told her. Aaron just nodded his head. As Wayne left for the kitchen, Aaron sat beside her. 

 

"Pets, are you still worried about her?" Aaron asked. "Aaron, it's been five days, and she have not messaged me. What's worse is that Butler Jin told me that her stepmom did not any allow any guests at their house. What can I do? I want to see her. I want to know how she's doing. I just want to know she's all right. But it seems the world is against me..." she said as she cried. 

 

As she cried, she leaned her head on his shoulder. Aaron put his arm around her, and console her. "Sssshh... don't cry. I'm pretty sure she's being taken care of right now..." Aaron told her. From the kitchen, Wayne peeked at them, and saw Aaron hugging her. "Ah, someone's taking the next big step... go Aaron!" he thought before going back. 

 

"Hey, if it makes you feel at ease, let's try and go look for her, all right?" Aaron said. Pets let out a sad smile. "You're so kind to me, Aaron. Thank you so much. And sorry, for taking too much of your time." she apologized. Aaron smiled at her. "Hey, we're friends, right?" Aaron told her. Pets nodded her head. "But, stop hugging me." she said. Aaron let out an awkward laugh as he retreated away from Pets. "When will I have a chance?" he thought. 

 

--

 

Grace sat on her bed as she wore a black dress. Her eyes are still swollen from crying from the previous nights. "Daddy..." she muttered. As she remembered her father, tears began to fall from her eyes. A funeral rites has just ended that day, even though his father's body was not retrieved. Her stepmother have decided to stop the search operation for his body, and just move on with the funeral rites.

 

"Young miss..." 

 

She looked by the door, and saw the old butler with a sullen look on his face. "Madame would like to ask your presence at the library for the reading of the last will and testament." he said. Grace wiped her tears, and nodded her head. "Tell her I will be there shortly." she said. 

 

She looked at the star bracelet on her hand, the last gift she received from her father. "I don't know how I can do things on my own from now, daddy... please guide me..." she whispered. She composed herself, and then went out of her room to meet her stepmother at the library. 

 

She went inside the library, and sat across her stepmom, while Butler Jin sat next to her. "Attorney, Grace is here. You can start reading my husband's last will." Carolyn told the lawyer. "Yes, madame." he said.  The old lawyer let out a smile to Carolyn, and began to read the last will.

 

"I, Gregory Ming Du Lang, of Taipei City, Taiwan, hereby declare that this is my last will and testament..." the lawyer said. Grace listened to the lawyer closely. "I bequeath 100% of my wealth both monetary and in stocks, to my wife, Carolyn Chen. She will also receive all the properties I own, whether here in Taipei or abroad. 3 Million NTD will be given to my trusted butler, Jin Bao San, and 2 Million NTD  will go to my daughter, Grace Ming Xiao Xi." Grace heard the lawyer say. 

 

Grace was surprised at what the lawyer said. She lifted her head, and looked at the lawyer. Then, she looked at her stepmom, who was smiling triumphantly. She waited for the reading to end, before she protested. "Dad's leaving everything to mom?" she asked, looking at her stepmom. 

 

"That's what your father wanted, my dear Xiao Xi." Carolyn said, smiling at her. She closed her fist. At that moment, she felt helpless. "But..." she said. Carolyn folded arms as she gave her a sly smile. "Master Ming would not leave such a little amount to her daughter!" he protested. "That's what Gregory wanted. Let's respect what he wants." she said. 

 

Grace lowered her head helplessly. She can't believe almost nothing was left to her. "Attorney, since I practically own this mansion. Then, does that mean I can kick Grace out of this house?" she said, eyeing on her stepdaughter. Grace was shocked with her question. "You can do whatever it is that you want, madame." the lawyer confirmed. 

 

She stood up from her seat, and walked over Grace. "You heard what the lawyer said. I can do whatever I want since I now own everything your father had before. I want you to move out of this mansion tonight." she told him. Grace looked at her with pleading eyes. "But... but I had nowhere to go.  This is my home! And..."

 

"This is my home now. And I want you out of it. After all, you're just a poor little adopted princess." she said in mocking voice. "But, madame!" Butler Jin protested. She glared at the old butler. "Shut up, if you want to continue being the butler of this house." she said angrily at him. Butler Jin could only lower her head. 

 

"Attorney, the checque please." she said. The old lawyer handed Carolyn the manager's check. "Here's your inheritance. It should be enough for you to live on your own. After all, this is what you wanted, right? To have a simple life as a commoner? I'm just giving you the favor." she said sarcastically. Grace took it, and stared at the amount on it. "2 million NTD..." she whispered. "Take that, and leave this house tonight." she said. 

 

Grace could only stare at her as she cried. First, her father is gone, and now she's being chased out of her own home. She pity herself because of what is happening to her. And all she could do is muffle her own cries.

 

--

 

It was raining that evening, and Pets is still worried. She feels something bad has happened to her twin sister. As she looked outside the window of her room, she felt something flash before her. "Help me..." she heard a voice said. Pets began to be more worried. "Xiao Xing?" she called. 

 

She immediately got out of her room. "Pets, where are you going?" she heard Wayne ask as she got to the door. She changed her shoes, and looked at him, Ben and Aaron. "I need to go somewhere." she said. "But it's raining heavily outside. And at this time?" Ben told her. 

 

Aaron stared at her, and as their eyes met, he understood what she meant. "I'll go with you." he said. "No." she said, holding out her palm to stop him. "I have to go alone." she said. "Then, take an umbrella with you to protect yourself from the rain." Wayne reminded her. She took an umbrella by the door, and the left the house. 

 

"What's happening to her?" Wayne wondered. "Whatever it is, let her deal with it herself..." Aaron said, still staring at the door. "I just hope she'll be able to find Xiao Xing this time..." Aaron thought worriedly.

 

--

 

Grace took everything she could in her luggage. As she closed it, she heard a knock on the door. She opened it, and saw Rachel and Claire outside. "Rachel, Claire..." she called. The two maids, hugged her. "Please don't leave, Miss Grace..." Rachel said as she cried. "I have to. This is what my stepmom wanted." Grace said. 

 

"But it's unfair! You are the rightful heir!" Claire said. Grace tried to smile. "It's not what it says on my father's will. Besides, it would be hard for me to live in the mansion knowing daddy dearest is gone." Grace told them. "But, can you just leave tomorrow, when it's no longer raining?" Claire asked. Grace looked at her two friends, and cried. "I wish I could stay longer..." she said. 

 

Just then, Carolyn walked in on them. "Are you done packing? You should leave now." she told Grace. The three looked at her. "But madame..." Rachel tried to reason out. Carolyn glared at the maid. "And you two should get back to work!" she told them. Claire and Rachel looked at held Grace's hand. "You have to let us know how you're doing, all right?" Rachel told her. Grace nodded her head. She watched as the two maids leave her alone with her stepmom. 

 

Carolyn folded her arms as she glared at Grace. "Leave. Now." she told her. Grace just nodded her head. She took her backpack, her duffel bag and her luggage, and walked out of her room. As she made her way to the the door of the mansion, Carolyn tailed her. As she got out of the door, she heard her stepmom laugh evilly. "Bye bye, little princess!" she said. As she looked back, the door slammed close before her. 

 

As the rain fell down on her, she could only cry. She got out of the mansion's gate, and as she looked back, she sobbed even more. "Daddy... where should I go?" she said to herself as she looked at her home. As she turned her back to her old home, she found her twin sister standing before her with an umbrella in her hand. 

 

"Xiao Xing..." Pets said. It wrenched her heart to see her sister crying that way. She doesn't know what happened yet, but all she know is that her sister needs her now. "Xiao Yue..." Grace called her. Pets ran to her sister, and hugged her. 

 

And under the rain that evening, Pets hugged her sister tight as she let her cry.