Surnames

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

SinB sat by the front door, patiently waiting for anyone she was comfortable with to come back to play, or even just talk. She had been thinking about their pretend surprise that was going to happen in two more days. Krystal had just left earlier and SinB had heard Tiffany call her full korean name.

"Yah! Jung SooJung! You better come again tomorrow!"

"I will Tiff, I will."

It reminded her that Jessica's last name was also Jung, when Tiffany called her before. Jung Jessica, Jung Krystal, would SinB's name become Jung too? If she became Jessica's kid? Jung Eunbi. But that was Eunha unnie's name, it'd become much more confusing. SinB shrugged and lay down on the couch, looking up at the ceiling, admiring the small chandelier crystals hanging.

"I'm SinB. I've been called SinB, and SinB is who I am. I am safe, when I am SinB."

"Why do you think so?"

"Taeyeon unnie!"

SinB sat up to find Taeyeon leaning over the back of the couch she was on. She was smiling softly.

"Why do you think you're safe as SinB?"

"Well, ever since I was called SinB, everything has gotten better, all the people who call me SinB treat me better. My....my parents and brother were the only ones who called me Eunbi, really."

"Do you not like being called Eunbi?"

"Well, it's not a matter of like. I listen when Yewon calls me Eunbi, but that's Yewon. She's special to me. When someone else calls me Eunbi...."

SinB looked down into her lap, Taeyeon moved to the front of the couch, kneeling before SinB and taking her fumbling hands.

"B-besides, when you just call Eunbi, Eunha unnie responds too."

"Do the bad memories come?"

SinB hesitated, not looking at Taeyeon, her eyes stuck looking in her lap. Taeyeon could feel SinB's hands shake a little.

"You shouldn't have to be scared of your name."

"I ca-"

"You can't help it, I understand. And you can avoid it, as long as everyone that meets you from now on, call you SinB."

SinB nodded, her lower lip jutting a little in a pout.

"But if someone had bad intentions called you Eunbi all of a sudden," Taeyeon watched SinB's reaction carefully. "Would you be able to defend yourself?"

SinB thought about it. What if she was doing something, maybe she was out shopping with Yewon and someone called out Eunbi. The dark thoughts flooding her mind and stopping her in her tracks as bad people came to take her away.

"I don't want that."

"Want what?"

"I don't want to be afraid of my name. Besides it's Eunha unnie's name. I can't just be scared every time someone calls her or me."

Taeyeon smiled as SinB finally looked up.

"Thatta girl."

Hugging SinB close, Taeyeon caressed SinB's head softly.

"It might take time, but do you still want me to call you SinB?"

"...you can call me Eunbi."

"How about the other kids?"

"Not yet."

"Okay, Eunbi."

SinB blinked, holding back her shiver, she focused instead on the warmth that Taeyeon was radiating. Gripping on Taeyeon's sweater, SinB took a deep breath.

"Y-yea...I'm...going to be okay."

"Your Yewon will be proud of you."

"She will be?"

SinB grinned as Taeyeon pulled back, the way her dorky grin showed her teeth, as well as her now growing two front teeth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Who wants ice cream?"

"ME!"

SinB plugged her ears as the children screamed, when they were done screaming, she quietly got out of the dining area, going back to the fireplace. It wasn't that she disliked the ice cream or the company, but today, wasn't an ice cream day. Patting her full stomach, SinB closed her eyes to soak in the warmth provided by the fire.

"You didn't want dessert? Eunbi?"

Opening her eyes, SinB paused for a moment before turning to Tiffany.

"Taeyeon told me what you talked about earlier."

"Oh."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Tiffany opened her arms, waiting for SinB to choose whether to go to her or not. SinB looked at Tiffany's arms, but chose to hold her hand instead. Holding hands, SinB's small hands covered by Tiffany's bigger hands, SinB smiled a little.

"Today is too cold for ice cream."

"Ah, then do you want a hot chocolate?"

SinB hummed, rubbing her chin.

"If it's not too hot."

Tiffany grinned and picked up SinB by her waist, causing SinB to be surprised. She refelxively struggled for a second, her arms going out to pull herself away from Tiffany, but just before she hit Tiffany, she stopped and went limp.

"That was close."

Tiffany chuckled and held SinB upright.

"That, was my fault. I shouldn't have scared you Bi."

SinB breathed a sigh of relief that she didn't accidentally hurt Tiffany, she had been getting better at holding back her reflexes, not punching a guy in the stomach when they touched her by surprise was still in progress however. There wasn't a boy in the orphanage that SinB hadn't accidentally punched by now. She always apologized though, so they were on good terms, mostly.

Apparently there was a rumor that SinB had developed a scary face, much like Jessica's. But those were just rumors, look at her angelic smile.

SinB was sat at the table as Tiffany mixed chocolate powder and milk together before placing it in front of SinB. As she reached for the cup though, Tiffany stopped her before she could grab it, confusing her greatly.

"Wait! I forgot one thing."

Pulling open the cabinets, Tiffany rummaged around for something.

"Hey, Taetae? Where are the marshmallows?"

Marshmallows? What were those? Why were they needed? SinB watched curiously as the two adults struggled to find it before Taeyeon triumphantly presented it in the air when she found it.

"How many do you want Eunbi?"

Watching as SinB's involuntary shiver ran it's course, Taeyeon waited patiently.

"What do you mean by how many?"

"Well, I guess, more like mini or just one big one."

Tiffany dropped another pack of these 'marshmallows' in front of SinB, they were smaller than the ones that Taeyeon was holding.

"The mini ones?"

Tiffany cheered and promptly dropped five mini marshmallows in SinB's cup, making the child stare at it in confusion. Whaaaat?

"Fany ah, shouldn't you put six? An even number, you know?"

"No, no, the perfect ratio of sweetness is five!"

"But...."

Taeyeon started to talk in complicated words, maybe she was doing math, saying how many minis had the same sugar content as one regular marshmallow, but SinB wasn't listening. Blowing on the surface a little, SinB tested the temperature with her lip, slightly reminded of Eunha who had taught her to test it before she singed her tongue. Feeling that it was warm, but not hot, SinB tasted the drink.

It was sweet, and it filled her with warmth. Smiling she sipped some more before turning her attention back to the now bickering duo.

"That's why I'm saying one marshmallow is too sweet!"

"You just said one regular or five mini, which is it woman!"

SinB smiled, they looked funny, arguing over marshmallows. They were sweet and fluffy, although they were already half melted when SinB had managed to get one out, they didn't need to be argued over.

"Why're you laughing?"

"It's funny! It just needs to be tasty doesn't it?"

The two adults just smiled at each other, proud that SinB was happy.

"That's right, it just has to be tasty."

"But the perfect ratio!"

"Give it a rest Taengoo."

"Fine."

SinB laughed again when Taeyeon pouted, only breaking her pout when she couldn't help smiling at SinB's pure laughter.

=============

ohhoooooooo I love grinning and writing, smile! Have a good day!