moving

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Yerin blinked as the light hit her face, rubbing her face roughly, she sighed as the lack of sleep caused her head to hurt. She stepped out of her room, heading to the living room, where she found her mother looking at a stack of papers.

"Mom? Good morning."

"Morning Yerin ah."

Sitting patiently at the table, Yerin waited as her mother organized her papers before getting the child her breakfast. Happily munching on her toast, she noticed that her mother was attempting to tell her something.

"What is it mom?"

Sliding one sheet forwards, her mother sighed. Dragging a hand down her face, her mother took a deep breath before looking Yerin in the eyes.

"You don't have a father anymore."

Yerin just nodded, it kind of didn't really settle in her mind yet, or maybe it wasn't a big deal. Looking down on the paper in front, Yerin sounded out the bright red stamp on the paper.

"Approved."

"I hope this doesn't affect you in any negative way, you don't have to call that monster your father ever again."

"Okay."

Yerin felt numb, she didn't know what to feel. Did it matter?

"And well, since this house is under his name, we need to find a place to stay."

"Eung."

Yerin looked back down at her toast before looking up again suddenly.

"Wait, we have to leave here?"

"We don't own the place, by technicality, we can't stay here. It's the law."

It made her feel a little better, not having to stay in the house full of nightmares, but she didn't know how to feel about going to a new place. Would it be okay? Would everything be better? But was her brother coming as well?

"This is the place that I looked at, it's in a nice location."

Yerin looked at the paper that her mother handed her, only giving it a cursory glance.

"Will oppa be coming with?"

Her mother looked troubled, was there something wrong? Was her brother not coming because her mother didn't like him even though he was cooperating with rehab?

"You see, mama is a woman yea?"

"Yea."

"So, there are many arguements, that mama will lose. Because I am a woman."

"Why?"

Her mother ran a hand through her hair tiredly.

"You'll understand one day. But for now, I didn't win custody of your brother. Meaning, he'll be staying with your father."

"Oh."

"He'll be fine, he was never hurt by your father. Not to my knowledge. But it's my fault, for not having an income high enough to get him, I'm sorry Yerin ah."

"It's okay. At least, we can be happier, right?"

Her mother smiled and patted Yerin's head softly.

"Yes honey, we can be happier now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yerin looked around her room, her mother had gone out to look at some more apartments before deciding by the end of the week. What did she want to bring with her?

Sifting through her messy blanket, Yerin pulled out her stuffed bunny, a present from Sowon last year. Hugging the bunny with an arm, Yerin flipped her blanket some more to find her other plushies. Fishing out her stuffed ducky, puppy, and generic teddy bear, Yerin smiled. Her bedtime buddies should all go to her new place. Even though it wasn't decided where just yet.

Thinking about it, Yerin sat on her bed, still hugging all her plushies. If she and her mother were to move out to an apartment, would she change daycares? School? She hoped not. Tiptoeing around the empty house, Yerin pulled the landline phone from the wall. It was time to check up on Sowon.

"Hello?"

"This is Sojungie's unnie's phone but Sojungie is speaking how may I help you?"

"Unnie!"

"Omo! Hey Yerinnie! Are you doing alright today? Sleep alright? Did you eat breakfast, and make sure that you brushed your teeth again afterwards?"

Yerin giggled as Sowon continued to list a bunch of things for Yerin to do. Hearing a sigh, Yerin was intrigued.

"Unnie? Why did you sigh?"

"Hm? It was a happy sigh Yennie, I'm glad I made you laugh."

"Me too. Thanks unnie."

Like that, they spent a good hour chatting about Yerin's situation, as well as talking about Eri's wellbeing.

"She's doing fine right? My little Eri."

"Of course unnie, I've slept with her in my arms everyday here."

"Did I ever tell you why I named her Eri?"

"No? Why did you? It's rather unique."

"I didn't know what to name it and my cousin, who helped me buy it at the store asked me to name it after the person I would give it to."

"Hm? But I'm not Eri."

"You are not, but you are Yerin. If you remove the first and last letter, in english, you get Eri!"

Yerin was surprised Sowon had thought of that, looking down at the pink bunny next to her, she smiled.

"That's weird."

"What is?"

"Having a stuffed bunny named after me."

"Eh?"

"Shouldn't the bunny be Eunha? Haha, I should be a baby chick or duckling."

"Why would you think a duckling? The ugly duckling story?"

"No! Because I like to follow you around like a duckling to it's mother."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yerin ah! Mom is home."

Yerin ran out from her room, her fingers smudged with color from her markers that she was using to draw in her room.

"Here's dinner, I'll just heat it up in the microwave for you really quick."

Yerin nodded as her mother took out a take out box. Was it fast food? Chinese food? Smelling the air as the food heated up again, Yerin her lips as she smelled that it was fried rice.

"I found a good deal at this apartment complex, I think you know where."

Yerin hummed a spoon tucked under her tongue as she waited still for the microwave to ding.

"I know it?"

"I picked you up from there."

"Sowon unnie's place?"

"Yea."

Yerin blinked once, she blinked twice. Could she be living in the same building as Sowon?

=====================

I think, two more before we return to Yuju. :) I'm late and it's 2am, but I had a nice thanksgiving day, did you all eat well? :D