Hey, can we be friends?

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Umji packed her backpack quietly and quickly, it was almost time for class to let out and they weren't using the textbooks anymore, marking the answers on her worksheet they were going over and repeating the english words after the teacher's example recordings, she watched as the seconds on the clock ticked by.

Was it her, or was time passing really slowly? She really wanted to go to daycare today, listening to Eunbi and watching Yujuna flirt, Sowon scolding them, and finally Yerin unnie. She really wanted to hug Yerin, she hadn't been able to the past few days, hectic things happening within their little world, but the other girls had their turn, it was time for the special Yewon hug attack that cures anyone of sadness!

"And that will be all for today, pack your bags, make sure you take your corrected homework on your way out at your cubbies and have a good weekend."

Umji shoved her worksheet into her bag and almost ran for the door when a voice called to her.

"Y-yewon ah!"

"Yes? Suji?"

Lee Suji, the girl in her class that was always competing with her on scores on exams. What did she need?

"I...I always wanted to...."

Umji stood still, looking at her straight in the eyes, why did she feel the need to avoid eye contact?

"I wanted to be friends with you!"

"Huh?"

This was weird, this was getting really weird. Yewon, technically had never really been formally asked to be someone's friend, the girls at daycare were more of a "you're already one of us" kind of deal and she had gone around to ask them personally to become friends.

"I mean, you're so cool, standing up to your bullies and you're smart, n-not that I wanted to learn your secrets to your geniusness! I swear! B-but like I just felt like it would be nice, being friends."

Umji's jaw hadn't gone back up on its own, her hand pushing it up as she realized what was happening.

"You? Want to be friends? With me?"

Suji nodded and Umji grinned, sticking her hand out, she grabbed Suji's hand in a handshake, the other not really knowing what the handshake was for.

"Then, from today on, we're friends!"

"Really?"

"Really! Though right now I need to run to catch my bus to daycare."

"A-ah! Did I make you late? Hurry and go then!  I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine. Then, I'll see you monday?"

"Yea! Bye Yewon."

"Bye bye Suji!"

Umji ran out of the school building with a big smile on her face, finally, finally! A friend in her class that she can talk to, a friend in her class to have lunch together. She excitedly boarded the bus and ran to sit down between SinB and Moonbin.

"Guess what!"

"What?"

"I got a friend!"

"Another one?"

SinB looked out the window, her face void of emotions.

"Her name is Suji! She said she wanted to be friends because I was cool! And smart!"

"You are cool and smart Yewon."

"Thanks Binnie! But I know I'm not that smart."

SinB turned around and held Yewon's hand.

"You are smart! At least, smarter than me. You won't leave me alone at recess will you?"

"No! You're my best friend! You'll always come first Eunbi ah!"

"Ew, girl cooties."

SinB slapped Moonbin's arm, making him laugh and cross the aisle to seat away from her.

"You have boy cooties too."

"Hey! At least I don't get overly dramatic over things at school."

"Overly dramatic you say? Remember the time when you were on this bus and peed your pants because you thought the bus would leave without you so you didn't go the bathroom?"

"HEY! SHUSH! DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT!"

"You were crying and holding your backpack and screaming how your mom was going to scold you and the world was gonna end all at the same time."

Moonbin blurted numerous, loud, unintelligible noises to block SinB's words from reaching his own ears, his hands covering them tightly.

Umji just giggled as SinB kept spilling stories about how Moonbin got in trouble at school because his little sister spilled her food on his shirt and wearing food to school was unsanitary or the time when Moonbin was stuck with pink nail polish because he forgot to remove it the night before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're here!"

Umji looked around the room, spotting Yuju and Eunha already in their little world, Sowon was seated at a table doing homework? Spotting Yerin who was reading a book, Umji skipped over and took a seat next to her, smiling.

"What are you reading unnie?"

"It's a story about this crook, who only stole from the rich to give to the poor."

"What's his name?"

"Robin Hood?"

Umji hummed and leaned on Yerin's side, her arms linking with the older's.

"Read it outloud for me please?"

"Sure."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sowon unnie?"

Sowon looked up from her math homework.

"What's up?"

"Can we nap together?"

Looking back to her homework and back up to Umji, Sowon nodded. It was fine, she would go over the rest of it in tutoring. Backhugging their youngest and penguin waddling over to the sleeping area, they giggled as they stumbled around.

"Yerin unnie are you jealous?"

"Huh? Me? No, I get to cuddle with Sowon unnie every night for the last few days."

But still, Yerin was watching them as they got ready to nap, Sowon's arms curling around Umji's waist.

"You sure you don't want to join me in napping? Yerin?"

"I-"

Umji rolled over to look at Yerin with her big eyes.

"Please?"

Yerin's resolve wavered at the sight of a pleading Umji, plus Sowon who was imitating Umji's pout.

"I'm coming."

She hurriedly slid under the blanket and tucked herself against Sowon's back, facing away.

"You're fine like that?"

"Yea. Just let me be this close."

"Alright then. Nap well you two."

Umji made a small noise of contentment, akin to a purr, as Yerin just closed her eyes, relaxing against Sowon's back.

============

wieeee also I forgot to mention that in the chapter about Yuju's family I made a oo, Yuna doesn't have a brother hahahahahahah she has a sister, so that's been fixed now that's all haahhaha oopsies.