Smarter Than She Looks (2na)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - These are prompts from Stifer

 

Sorry for the delay was working all weekend. However I wanted to talk about something, I was looking at the AFF crowdfunding thing (mostly because I had joked about something similar a few months ago) and I thought there was more of a process than there was so I clicked apply thinking it’d send me to an application so I could get a better look. Truth is it makes me feel really weird to accept money for anything like this, it’s the idea that I would be making money off of other peoples names doesn’t feel morally good to me. If I was some sort of epic writer who was turning out pages of a novel it’d be different but that’s not what my stories are: I do it because it helps me stay sane! I only wanted to look at it out of curiosity but it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts (not about me doing it but the idea in general). Please don’t give me money….when I’m poor and a lot more desperate then we’ll revisit but for now I still have morals!

 

Smarter than She Looks (2na)

 

Sana is a girl who can easily be stereotyped into a box.

 

She is bubbly, excitable and can come across as a bit of an airhead but in actuality she’s more intelligent than most people give her credit for. If you remember that time she and Tzuyu were stuck in the lift she had her own way of giving advice without being condescending or lecturing. People liked talking to Sana and lord knows she liked talking to them. It’s what she did, Sana was always so open with her emotions and her problems that she enticed others to do the same. Mina always thought that to be one of her favourite things about her girlfriend, the fact that she would help anyone and everyone that asked.

 

Truth is Sana was an optimist, she saw the bright side to everything. So when the shooting happened it took a lot for her to find a bright side to it. But in this chapter I will show you the two times during the whole event in which Sana was able to find the bright side and show the emotional intelligence she has honed over the years. The first is her getting the chance to listen to someone who had listened to her over and over when she was having a crisis, the second is building a bridge with someone she had never expected to bond with.

 

The first half takes place back at the hospital. Chaeyoung had left leaving her bed unoccupied whilst she and Mina were planning to be released in a couple of days. Sana still had some pain in her chest but Mina was her top priority, the younger girl had really been shaken up by the event. This couldn’t be faulted, the whole situation was horrifying and sometimes when Sana fell asleep she’d dream of it. It was selfish of her to think but she was glad she had been shot first, she’s glad she didn’t have to see Mina getting hurt. That would have really messed with her head. Sure, Mina was a lot worse off than she was but Sana took solace in the fact she hadn’t seen it. Though she’d never forgive herself for being unable to protect her.

 

At that particular time Mina had been wheeled out, they wanted to double check she was healing correctly before her discharge. Sana couldn’t wait for her to be discharged, she hadn’t held Mina since the shooting and she missed having the younger girl in her arms. With Mina gone Sana could relax for a bit, not having to worry about how her girlfriend was feeling since she knew she was being looked after. She found her gaze drifting to the final occupant of the room, shocked to find the girl awake and staring at the ceiling.

 

“Look who’s up!” Sana chirped,

 

“Sana.” Tzuyu greeted quietly,

 

Sana studied her a moment, “Nobody believes you’re really asleep by the way.”

 

“It fits a purpose.”

 

“What does that mean?”

 

“Doesn’t matter.”

 

Silence settled for a moment, Sana studying the quiet girl for a second. She wasn’t dumb, she knew Tzuyu was never really asleep apart from a few hours a night and therefore had probably heard everything that had gone on in the room the last few nights. This included a particularly explosive triad from Jeongyeon about how this was all supposedly Tzuyu’s fault, it wasn’t. Sana and Chaeyoung had spoken once about their friends, they had been randomly alone one lunch time and both had agreed that while Tzuyu had an air of indifference she actually held a lot on her shoulders. It couldn’t be easy, Tzuyu was a kid who had been forced to make decisions that even adults would find difficult.

 

“Can I say something?”

 

“I’m sure you’re going to…”

 

“It’s not your fault.” Sana told her, ignoring the jab,

 

Tzuyu looked at her, surprised, “What are you talking about?”

 

“The shooting wasn’t your fault, I know you Tzuyu - you’re blaming yourself but don’t. I don’t blame you, neither does Mina--”

 

“Jeongyeon does.”

 

“Jeongyeon is angry and needs to lash out,” Sana told her, “But she doesn’t believe what she’s saying, not really.”

 

Sana heard a sniffle and noticed tears rolling down the younger girl’s cheeks, she panicked a little, “Tzuyu-ah? What’s wrong?”

 

“I can’t stop ing up.” Tzuyu finally breathed out, feeling ashamed of the tears rolling down her cheeks,

 

“You haven’t ed up…”

 

“Oh yeah?” Tzuyu scoffed, “This with Jimin, continually disappointing Jihyo and Momo, putting people in danger, not to mention the fact that my sisters are here and lord knows I can’t avoid them forever.”

 

“Then don’t.”

 

“Don’t what?”

 

“Don’t avoid them,” Sana advised, “Tzuyu, you’re one of the most mature people I know. You moved to Korea and survived all by yourself, I found it hard and I had Mina and Momo. Part of being a grown up is facing up to your demons, talk to them. Or at least talk to Jihyo and Momo about whatever is going on with them.”

 

Tzuyu hummed, “You know, for a complete airhead, you have moments of brilliance.”

 

“Thanks I think….”

 

The second half of our story takes place a few days later. Sana had been tossing and turning all night so eventually decided a change of scenery would help. She had untangled herself from Mina and crept downstairs, she had decided to sit on the bench by the window and star gaze a little. She thought back to Japan, she’d never felt lonely back home. Her parents were simple people, they worked nine to five and stayed home with her at the weekends. She’d tried reaching out to them but her father refused to answer her calls and her mother was very much under her fathers thumb. After an hour or so deep in thought she heard the floor board creak, turning to see who else couldn’t sleep she locked eyes with Nayeon who appeared to be heading towards the kitchen.

 

“You’re up late.” Nayeon stated awkwardly,

 

They had never really spoken before.

 

“Yeah, just couldn’t switch my brain off.” Sana shrugged,

 

“Anything I can help with?”

 

Nayeon meant well, she was trying to help everyone and Sana would never fault her for that.

 

“Just homesick I guess.” Sana sighed,

 

“I get it,” Nayeon confessed going over to join her on the bench, “Kinda wish my parents were here too.”

 

“It was nice of them to open their home to us though.”

 

“They mean well,” Nayeon explained, “And they love me, but sometimes I wish that I came first - y’know?”

 

Sana smiled at her, “At least they love you enough to check in, my Mum managed to smuggle a card out to me but that’s the only time they’ve reached out in months.”

 

“Well from one orphan to another…eventually everyone comes round.” Nayeon smiled,

 

Sana returned the smile, “This may be the first time we’ve every really talked.”

 

“I think it is…”

 

“I owe you an apology, y’know. Ignoring the aftermath I never really gave you a chance when you first showed up and that wasn’t fair.” Sana confessed,

 

“I was a horrible person to be fair.”

 

“No you weren’t. I was just in love with Mina, it didn’t take a lot to get me to hate you.” Sana giggled, “Besides, you’ve made up for it now. You treat Dahyun like a princess and that’s enough for me, you’ve changed. You can stop punishing yourself now.”

 

Nayeon’s eyes glistened, she cleared , “Well…anyway I should get my water and head back to bed.”

 

“Goodnight Nayeon-Unnie.”

 

“Night Sana.”

 

Yeah, you could say what you liked about Minatozaki Sana but you have to admit - she was a lot smarter than she looked.