Mina Makes New Friends (2na)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - One mental breakdown later and I’m back! This one is for mistermagic who wanted some michaeng friendship.

 

Mina Makes New Friends

 

Mina was sick of it.

 

Every few months without fail Sana would ditch her for some girl she had just ensnared leaving poor Mina all by herself. Or worse….brought the girl around her. It’s hard enough trying not to show your deep undying love for your best friend but adding the need to mask the jealousy of their new love is just plain torture. Mina is good at hiding her feelings but this is beginning to get ridiculous. Now Sana had set her sights on Yoo Jeongyeon, the head of the art geeks. The older girl didn’t appear interested but she was definitely not telling Sana to go away. They were both stood in the hallway, Jeongyeon leaning on the locker telling the tale of her latest prank with Sana in front of her clutching her binder.

 

Mina sighed and watched the usual things play out….

 

The flirty giggle.

 

“Hahaha, you’re so funny!”

 

The wrapping her hair round her finger.

 

“So then what happened?”

 

The physical contact.

 

“Wow, you’re stomach’s so toned.”

 

Mina rolled her eyes and stomped into the classroom and sitting at the back. Looking up something caught her eye, one of her classmates Chae---something was glaring towards Sana the same way Mina had earlier. The dancer felt a knife twist in her gut, so Chae…whatever liked her too? Mina was about ready to jump out of the window, when she noticed the sketch in front of the other girl. It was of a tall figure with relatively short hair. So maybe Chae------yu? What is her name!? Maybe this GIRL liked Jeongyeon, not Sana. Without really thinking it through Mina made her way over to Ch--the short girl.

 

“You like her don’t you?”

 

The girl scoffed, flustered, “Wh-Who?”

 

“Jeongyeon.” Mina continued,

 

“No I don’t…”

 

Mina tapped the drawing and the girl looked like a deer caught in headlights, “Look don’t worry about it, see that girl she’s talking to?”

 

Of course she did, she couldn’t stop seeing her. She followed Jeongyeon everywhere lately.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’ve liked her for a while now, she’s my best friend.”

 

The girl sent her a small smile, glad to finally find a kindred spirit, “I’m Chaeyoung.”

 

“I KNEW IT BEGAN WITH A CH!”

 

“What?”

 

“What?”  

 

_____

 

Later Mina and Chaeyoung left their class together to go get lunch. Arriving in the cafeteria they noted that they weren’t the only new friends there. Sana had dragged Momo to sit with Jeongyeon which in turn had brought Jihyo and Nayeon. Chaeyoung noted that Nayeon was avoiding all contact with Dahyun who in turn was being uncharacteristically quiet. Mina and Chaeyoung exchanged a look, both silently asking the other if they wanted to join them. No not at all. They went to get their food and by the time they returned with their trays all the tables were full. Mina was ready to accept her fate and join the others when Chaeyoung used one hand to grab her elbow and pull her over to a table nearby.

 

Mina nearly cried when she saw the only inhabitant of that table.

“Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung called out,

 

The girl looked up, cold eyes studying the duo before her, “Hey, Chaeyoung. What brings you here?”

 

“We don’t have anywhere to sit, can we join you?”

 

“Free country.” Tzuyu replied kicking the two chairs opposite her out for the duo to sit down,

 

“This is Mina.” Chaeyoung introduced,

 

“Cheerleader, right?” Tzuyu asked, Mina nodded nervously, “Nice to meet you.”

 

Mina was surprised to discover that Tzuyu and Chaeyoung had been friends for a while now. Well not really friends, but following one project they were told to do together they had some form of mutual respect. There wasn’t much conversation due to all the tables inhabitants being quiet people, but it wasn’t awkward. They briefly talked about classes and music, a few appreciative comments were thrown towards Chaeyoung’s sketch but apart from that Mina just enjoyed the quiet. Sure the cafeteria was loud anyway but being able to sit without having to comment on make-up or crushes was very relaxing.

 

“Your friends are staring.” Tzuyu told them at one point,

 

She raised her phone as though she was sending a text and showed the duo that the table behind them were in fact staring at them. As they were looking at the image they both focused on one face in particular, Jeongyeon looked stony as she watched them while Sana looked uncharacteristically angry. Mina sighed and put it down to Jeongyeon’s attention drifting making Sana upset. As they looked at the phone they both noticed a message pop up:

 

From Moguri <3

 

Wait? Moguri? Momo?

 

“I didn’t know you knew Momo.” Mina said,

 

Tzuyu noticeably hesitated, “Jihyo likes to keep an eye on me and Momo’s too nice for me to push away.”

 

Mina didn’t believe her. The nickname and the love heart led to other assumptions but Mina knew that Momo loved Jihyo and would never cheat. So maybe Tzuyu had a crush? Mina frowned, Tzuyu hadn’t pried into Mina’s business she shouldn’t pry into hers. They left that lunch after promising each other to do it again sometime, Tzuyu had been glad for the company not that she’d admit it. Mutual silence was a lot better than someone trying to guilt her into some sort of gang activity.

 

_____

 

It was the end of the day and Chaeyoung stood with Mina by her locker as she put her books away. They had plans to go and get food after school, Tzuyu couldn’t join them for some reason she refused to give a straight answer to but in Mina’s mind if Tzuyu’s gang had (as rumour suggested) pulled off that watch heist she didn’t want to know. A hand pulled Mina’s shoulder and the girl turned to see Sana glaring daggers at Chaeyoung. The short girl awkwardly offered to meet Mina outside leaving the best friends to talk.

 

“Why didn’t you sit with us today?” Sana pouted,

 

“I err…” Mina hesitated, that damn pout, “I wanted to sit with Chaeyoung and Tzuyu today.”

 

Sana giggled, “I didn’t strike you as the type to get friendly with Chou Tzuyu.”

 

Mina shrugged, “She’s pretty cool.”

 

Sana began wrapping a loose strand of hair around her finger, “Will you sit with us tomorrow?”

 

“I…” She spotted Jeongyeon walking down the hall, “I don’t know.”

 

“Mina!” Sana whined hugging her tightly,

 

Mina sighed and gently removed herself from Sana’s embrace, “I’ll talk to you later, I’m going to meet Chae.”

 

As Mina turned and walked away Sana watched her go. She couldn’t understand what she had done to anger her. Maybe she hadn’t done anything? Maybe Mina liked Chaeyoung. Sana didn’t like that thought, it made her insides twist and she felt like crying. Mina was hers, nobody else can have her! Sana felt cold as she watched Mina walk further and further away from her.

 

I like hugging her.