Familial Matters (MoJiTzu)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - This is a prompt from bore_d1020

 

Big thanks to asianpapples who made a cover for me :)

 

Familial Matters (MoJiTzu)

 

Tzuyu was exhausted when she finally got in.

 

She had just gotten in that night after being jumped by some of Kai’s boys after work, luckily Mark had offered to walk with her - he didn’t doubt she could defend herself it was just that he knew that Kai still wasn’t happy that Jackson had got Tzuyu to take over Jimin’s territory so he was doing all he could to get her off it. On top of that she’d just called a truce with another group of boys, they didn’t identify as a gang per se but they were in charge of the area on the other side of Kai’s. They were a collective known as Monsta-X, they didn’t want to be involved with the other gangs but had reached out to Tzuyu when Kai began making threats against them. Their leader Shownu had told Tzuyu they wanted to use her and Jackson as security to stop Kai from trying to take their area and after talking to her kingpin big brother, they had agreed.

 

The end result being: Kai was more pissed at Jackson, couldn’t take it out on him and so was targeting Tzuyu instead.

 

She walked up to her room and smiled at the sight of her favourite girls sat on her couch, cuddled together in onesies. Momo had gotten them when she had gone shopping with Sana and for Christmas each of their friends received their own. Momo’s was a duck and Jihyo’s was a unicorn, Tzuyu’s was tucked in the back of her wardrobe. It was a flying squirrel…. knew why. The two on the couch greeted her and she gave both a kiss before heading to open the window. Sitting on the ledge she took her ash tray off the bedside table and took the death sticks out of her pocket.

 

“C’mon Tzuyu…” Jihyo scolded,

 

“I’ll jump in the shower after so we can cuddle I promise,” Tzuyu told her lighting a cigarette and taking a long drag, “I’ve had a day.”

 

She blew the smoke out of the window.

 

“Fine but you’re wearing the onesie.” Momo declared jumping up to dig it out of Tzuyu’s closet,

 

Tzuyu sighed but felt her lips curl upwards at how cute Momo could be, “Okay.”

As she dug out the squirrel costume, Momo’s eye’s drifted to the dresser where Tzuyu’s photos were. She paused her actions and walked towards the photo of Tzuyu smiling happily between her sisters. Momo cocked her head, after Jihyo and herself had told the sisters everything they had immediately gone to talk to their baby sister and hadn’t offered the couple an explanation. The question had been weighing heavily on their minds ever since the duo turned up at the hospital but they hadn’t gotten round to talking to her yet.

 

Tzuyu noticed Momo pause and looked over at her as she flicked some ash into the tray. With a smoky sigh she realised it was unfair of her to keep any more secrets.

 

“Ask.”

 

Both Momo and Jihyo looked at her, Jihyo was the one who spoke up, “Huh?”

 

“I know you want to know, so ask.”

 

“I don’t really know what to ask.” Jihyo confessed, she stood and came to sit on the bed so that she was closer,

 

Momo crawled next to her and lay her head in Jihyo’s lap, “You never tell us anything.”

 

Tzuyu shrugged, “It’s a difficult thing to talk about. My home life was crappy back in Taiwan so I left, I don’t like talking about it but if you want to know….”

 

“No,” Jihyo sighed, “Not if you’re uncomfortable with it.”

 

“You just look so happy in that photo and…you’re not anymore.” Momo’s small voice spoke up, still clutching the photo of Tzuyu with her sisters, “I want to know why you don’t want to talk to your sisters.”

 

“I’m embarrassed.” Tzuyu confessed,

 

“Embarrassed?” Jihyo asked, clearly having misheard,

 

“Okay so it’s like this….”

 

*Flashba---*

 

“FINALLY I GET THE FLASHBACK - IT DAHYUN!” Momo cheered,

 

“What?”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing…carry on.”

 

*FLASHBACK*

 

“AGAIN!”

 

Thirteen year old Tzuyu huffed, “Mama no more, I’m tired.”

 

They’d been there for hours, having entered the archery centre while the sun was still up and remained as it set and hour or so ago. The scene set like this: thirteen year old Tzuyu was stood opposite a target, arrows sticking out from the 8, 9 and two on the 10 mark. The young girl was rolling her shoulders, her fingers starting to cramp. Her friends were having a sleepover tonight and her mother had PROMISED if she hit four tens in a row she could go. She had done this multiple times over the last few hours yet here they were, still stood in the archery centre, still staring at the same target as her mother watched from the sidelines.

 

“Zi-Yu,” Her mother barked, “Again! 8 and 9 are unacceptable, only girls who can hit 10s may go on sleepovers.”

 

“But you said that an hour ago and I hit straight 10s--”

 

“ZI-YU! GOOD GIRLS GET 10S!”

 

“Mama!” Another voice called out, it was another feminine voice, “You did promise and she did hit tens.”

 

“Jia darling, don’t intervene.” Mama Chou snapped, “The competition is next week and if she does well she can be on the olympic team! Do you not want what’s best for your sister?”

 

“Do you?” Jia asked with a smirk, “Zi-Yu, just one more time. 4 tens then we can ALL leave.”

 

Tzuyu looked at her mother who appeared to want to argue but instead just huffed, folded her arms and gave a single nod. Tzuyu beamed a smile at her big sister and ignored her aching muscles, she ran to collect her arrows. She notched her arrows and fired them almost mechanically one by one, hitting a ten each time. Once the fourth arrow struck Mama Chou huffed and stormed out. Marking that as the end of training until tomorrow Tzuyu practically sprinted to the showers happy to be free for the rest of the night. Jia offered to drive her to her friends as their mother had long since left the parking lot.

 

Tzuyu liked going with Jia anyway, as she was only a couple years older than Tzuyu they were pretty close. Tzuyu’s other sister, Fei, didn’t live at home so she and Tzuyu weren’t as close but Tzuyu still looked up to her. Whenever she could, Jia would come to Tzuyu’s training - offering the positive reinforcement their mother tended to ignore in favour of abuse and demanded perfection. Both Fei and Jia had been in Tzuyu’s shoes, only they hadn’t taken to the sport as naturally as Tzuyu had so once she came along their mother pushed them to their father. Jia felt guilty for that, she wished Tzuyu would put her foot down and tell their mother to let her be a kid but she knew she wouldn’t. Tzuyu was a shy girl, not used to confrontation - she was a baby.

 

“So where am I dropping you?” The elder asked once they were in her car,

 

Tzuyu named a friend and Jia nodded, remembering that this was the friend that only lived a street away. She watched Tzuyu fight off sleep in the chair next to her and frowned, her mother probably had the poor girl up at the crack of dawn. It was Saturday for God sake!

 

“Can I ask you something?” Tzuyu asked after a while,

 

“Sure kiddo, what’s up?”

 

“Is it bad to hate the woman who birthed you?”

 

Jia laughed, “Usually yes but I think you’re a special case. I’m sorry I couldn’t come with you guys all day, I probably could’ve talked her into letting you go home earlier.”

 

“It’s okay you were at work.” Tzuyu smiled,

 

They eventually pulled up outside Tzuyu’s friend’s home, Jia stopped her from getting out.

 

“Zi-Yu,” She said, “Don’t let anyone ruin you.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You’re a good girl,” Jia explained, “You’re sweet and kind and patient and trusting…just don’t let anyone like Mama take those qualities away. You’re better than that.”

“Okay…” Tzuyu looked confused but didn’t question it further.

 

*FLASHBACK END*

 

“Sounds like you were close,” Jihyo smiled, she looked at the photo, “Which one’s Jia?”

 

“Left.” Tzuyu took another drag, “She would always go on about how I was ‘destined for something big’. She must be so disappointed.”

 

There was a silence.

 

“What about Fei?”

 

Tzuyu smiled and stubbed , “Fei gave me the money to leave. I’d gotten into a huge row with Mama and just left for my sister’s place. I asked her for some advice and she handed me the cash for any plane I wanted. I think she expected me to call and tell her where I was going but I just left.”

 

“They’re not disappointed in you Tzu,” Jihyo told her, ignoring the scent of ash and pulling Tzuyu on to the bed to join them, “They were worried about you.”

 

“I’ve let them down.”

 

“No!” Momo whined, cuddling onto Tzuyu’s other side, “You’re still all those things, you’re just not as naive. You’ve added baddass to the list there’s nothing wrong with that!”

 

Tzuyu felt a small smile form, “I love you both.”

 

She went to kiss Jihyo who moved away from her, “Mouthwash first and then kisses.”

 

“Fine…”

 

“AND WEAR THE ONESIE!”