Meet the Parents

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - This is a prompt from Wolf_Puppy

 

Meet The Parents

 

There is a time all parties in a relationship dread.

 

You and another person (and sometimes a third person) meet for the first time, maybe there’s an instant connection or a slow build over time but eventually feelings begin to develop. After a few weeks/months/years of keeping your attraction hidden from the outside world you decide to it up and confess how you feel. There are two following ways this confession could go: the first ends with the confessor crying into the largest tub of ice cream they can find, the second leads to hand holding and joy that nauseates all of your single friends. After that comes dating, a long series of invitations for private hangouts to check things like compatibility, attraction, how good they are at kissing. Dating it when you decide whether you could see yourself with this person for an extended period of time. The next step, the step our nine favourite high school students are currently in, is the boyfriend/girlfriend step. At this stage you are official with your partner and have every right to tell that hoe in your partners maths class to BACK THE UP!

 

It is at this point you will have to do one of the scariest things imaginable.

 

A thing of true horror.

 

A thing of pure anxiety.

 

Where every little movement will be judged.

 

It’s the part of a relationship that everyone despises.

 

Meeting your partners parents.

 

Through this episode we will look at some key moments in time in which out favourite girls meet their partners parents for the first time. We’ll start with the famous No Jam Bros. Now as you’ll probably be aware right now, Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung had known each other since they were children. They and Dahyun had been an inseparable trio since they could remember meaning that the couple had already met each others families. Chaeyoung had grown up pranking Jeongyeon’s older sisters and Jeongyeon had helped Chaeyoung win many a water balloon fight with her little brother. They spent every summer running in and out of each others houses, so they were considered family to both sets of parents.

 

Now some may think this is a good thing, it was clear their parents would approve of this relationship and would probably be happy to know their daughter would marry into a good, nice family. However, he couple had now been dating for a few months and hadn’t wanted to tell their parents just yet. It’s not like they’d ever really get caught, Jeongyeon’s basement room was sound proof so they never…heard anything. The couple were just happy to keep each other to themselves for a while longer. If they had known what was about to happen they would’ve confessed their relationship A LOT sooner, because this was not the way they had wanted to be found it.

 

Chaeyoung’s parents were very protective of her, she was sixteen years old but to them she was still their little girl. So when she went out anywhere she had to be sure to answer any texts or calls from her parents, usually she was good at doing that but like all teenagers sometimes you forget….or have your hands full. Her mother had panicked when Chaeyoung had ignored her SEVEN different phone calls, but she knew that Chaeyoung was at Jeongyeon’s that evening so she didn’t go out searching. Then it got late. Her daughter was supposed to be home before her curfew, but it was almost ten minutes after that.

 

So she ran round to the Yoo’s.

 

Jeongyeon’s mother answered the door and confirmed that the two girls were in Jeongyeon’s room “studying” for their maths test. The two women decided to descend into the basement, not noticing Jeongyeon’s sister snickering - well aware of what was about to happen but doing nothing to stop it. The door to the basement opened and they heard a loud noise which Mrs. Son immediately recognised.

 

“Chaeyoung’s hurt!”

 

Both women sprinted down the steps and almost immediately ran back up, slamming the door behind them. Both women were red with embarrassment and Jeongyeon’s sister couldn’t help but laugh at their sorry state.

 

“So…were they doing maths?” She joked,

 

“They were doing a number all right…I may be old but I know ninety-sixing when I see it!”

 

“It’s sixty-nining, Mrs. Son.”

 

Her mother sent her a look, “And how would you know?”

 

Jeongyeon’s sister froze before yelling, “What was that Appa??” and bolting from the room to where her father was preparing their dinner.

 

Not all stories of meeting parents are so humorous (or humiliating if you were to ask Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung to explain the experience). Sometimes it doesn’t go well. Jeongyeon’s and Chaeyoung’s mothers interrogated them both when they were finally upstairs and dressed. They were upset their daughters hadn’t told them anything but were overall fine with the relationship….even teaming up to learn how lesbians could have safe via google. That was an alarming ten minutes for Jeongyeon, Chaeyoung and the internet. However, this isn’t always the way it goes as our next story from Japan will tell us.

 

Sana and Mina had travelled back to visit Japan together, the school was closed due to snow that week and so the duo had bought themselves some tickets home for a few days. When Mina’s parents had come to visit the month before Sana had introduced herself to them, they had taken to the girl almost immediately. Preferring her to that rich, snobby girl that had broken their precious Mina’s heart - they weren’t aware that Mina and Nayeon were sort-of-friends at this moment in time but that is not the point. The point is when Mina’s parents came to visit they had given Sana their blessing, her brother pulling the ex-casanova aside to issue a stern warning for if she were to hurt his baby sister. A warning Sana took very seriously.

 

Mina had then asked when she would be able to meet Sana’s parents - only to learn that Sana, Minotozaki “Sanake” Sana, was not out to her parents. Turns out that was another reason why she was overly affectionate with women in Korea, it was because back home she wasn’t able to for fear of her parents finding out. Sana had gone through all means to hide her double life from her family, from having two of every social media to telling her mother about all the “cute boys” at school. Truth is Sana was scared, coming out is scary and not all families are accepting of this sort of thing. The Myoui’s had offered to pick Sana up from the airport and drop her home, it allowed Mina to spend some more time with her girlfriend before they parted.

 

As they stood by the arrival gate the Myoui’s discussed their daughter’s arrival with her girlfriend, only to hear a snort from behind them. Another couple were sat nearby, visibly disgusted by the matter the Myoui’s were discussing. Taking it personally Mr. Myoui raised his voice to scold them.

 

“Excuse me,” He called sternly, “Is there a problem?”

 

The man settled his gaze, “Not for me sir, it’s you’re daughter who’s got a problem.”

 

Mr Myoui stepped forward, “What did you say?”

 

“Hiroki,” Mrs Myoui called pulling her husband back, “Calm yourself, they’re here!”

 

The two girls were grinning at them as they approached, bags in one hand and their free hands clasped tightly together. As Sana got over excited and waved at them her bag fell from her shoulder, Mina giggled at her and reached down to pick up the bag and carried it on the same arm as her own. This earned a kiss on the cheek from Sana while Mrs. Myoui cooed at them. As they got closer however, Sana froze in the spot like a deer caught in headlights. Mina looked at her in question, worried about her girlfriend who looked alike she was about to burst into tears. Mr Myoui also noticed the change, noting that Sana was staring at the space behind him. He turned and saw the rude man from before glaring at the girl whilst his wife looked horrified.

 

Sana had forgotten to tell her parents that she had sorted herself a ride from the airport.

 

“Otou-san,” Sana spoke, dropping Mina’s hand and bowing to her father, “I forgot to tell you I no longer needed a ride.”

 

Her father said nothing for a second, just glared at the daughter he now saw as a disappointment, he took two steps forward and…

 

SMACK

 

Sana crashed to the floor, more shocked than in pain. Her father had never so much as raised a hand at her, she was his princess. Her hand flew to her cheek and immediately Mina and her mother were by her side helping her up, trying to shield her from the stares of nosey passers-by.

 

“Hey!” Mr Myoui shoved the aggressively man back, “You must never raise your hand to your daughter!”

 

Mr Minotozaki laughed, “Daughter? What daughter?”

 

“She is yours,” Mr Myoui spat, ensuring he did not move, staying between Sana and her father, “And my daughter is a fine match for her.”

 

“Your daughter is also sick.”

 

Mr Myoui snarled, “How dare you!? I may not understand her decision but I respect it, you have raised a wonderful daughter do not let your prejudices ruin your relationship with her.”

 

The other man sized him up, puffing his chest out, “If she is wonderful, congratulations. She is your problem now.”

 

Then he turned and marched away, Sana called for her mother - tears streaming down her face. Her mother looked back for a second, faltering for a split second before closing her eyes and turning away. She didn’t want her daughter to see her cry. Sana broke down after that, Mina holding her up the whole way to the car. Sana had always been a rock for her, now she needed to support Sana. A text was sent to Momo explaining what had happened and apparently Momo’s father (who was still struggling with the news that his child had two girlfriends and not just one) had threatened to visit his old friend Hiroki. Sana had said no, if her father wanted to disown her he could. Once the pain of her parents’ abandoning her had lessened she realised that she could do this. Mr Myoui had offered to help Sana through high school and college, the Myoui’s had the money to do this and while Sana was grateful she had messaged Tzuyu to ask if she knew of any jobs. Tzuyu was the only one in their group who worked so she’d know better than they would.

 

That night Sana and Mina lay in Mina’s bed, cuddled up together - Sana ignoring the heat because she needed the reassurance tonight. They hadn’t talked in hours but both were still awake, staring at the ceiling. Something came over Sana as she lay there, surrounded by everything Mina. She thought back to how Sana had treated her when she was with Nayeon, how she almost realised she loved her to late, how her father had defended her because he knew how much they meant to one another. She always thought it’d scare her, the feeling of being in it for the long hall, but it didn’t. If she didn’t know before, she did now. Mina was her forever.

 

She sat up and when Mina looked up to ask what was wrong she silenced her with a kiss.

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you more.”

 

Other meet the parent situations may start off badly but actually end quite well. Take the time Dahyun finally met Nayeon’s family. It had been just after she and Nayeon had performed the remedied version of that song Nayeon wrote. The moment the applause had stopped Nayeon dragged Dahyun over and introduced her to her mother and father. Now this story could get a little long so to speed it up, and save Dahyun from embarrassment, I’ll give a list of what Dahyun did that night.

 

  1. She forgot to bow to Nayeon’s father.

 

  1. She stepped on the foot of the mayor.

 

  1. When said mayor began spouting off about little China (and by extension Tzuyu) Nayeon had to clamp her hand over .

 

  1. When Dahyun mentioned she grew up religious she was asked impossible philosophical questions by Nayeon’s mother, panicked and said “I don’t know…does it mean burn the gays?”

 

  1. Whilst trying to stay out of everyone’s way she leant on an ice sculpture and knocked it over.

 

  1. Then broke a vase.

 

  1. Then broke the TV

 

  1. Then broke the Mayor’s foot by stepping on it….delibaretly this time.

 

  1. Was laughed at by Nayeon’s family when she said she wanted a job in the media.

 

All of this led to Dahyun stood alone on the patio, Nayeon promising to join her after she had sung another song. Dahyun sighed, tonight could not have gone any worse. It wasn’t her fault! She just wasn’t used to these sorts of high society things, she grew up in a working class family. They had enough for the roof over her head and food on the table with a few small luxuries, no where near the fancy mansion Nayeon lived in. She didn’t belong here, Mina would’ve sailed through tonight. Dahyun wasn’t Mina.

 

“It’s getting cold.” A voice startled her,

 

Mrs. Im had come to join her. Dahyun bowed to her politely.

 

“I just needed some air.”

 

Mrs Im smiled kindly at her, “I remember when I first came to one of these things, I didn’t belong either.”

 

“I’m sure you did better than I did tonight.” Dahyun sighed, looking out into the darkness,

 

“I knocked over his grandmothers ashes.” Mrs Im laughed, “His parents were furious, but then they saw how we looked at each other.”

 

“Looked at each other?” Dahyun asked turning to look at her,

 

“Like…like he was the only man I could see and I was the only woman he could see. They called it “the look of finality”. They couldn’t stand in our way because we loved each other so, rather than punish me for not knowing the ways of high society, they taught me how to present myself.”

 

Dahyun looked excited, “Think you could teach me?”

 

“Of course.” Mrs. Im smiled, “My daughter loves you enough to introduce you, even before she talked about you non-stop.”

 

Dahyun felt herself smile as she looked through the glass doors at where her girlfriend was singing, Nayeon locked eyes with her and the corners of her lips rose. The Dahyun saw it, the thing Mrs. Im was talking about. It was like a sparkle but it felt warm, old, like it had been around since time began. The look of finality. Dahyun turned to Mrs. Im and the two went back inside, the older woman teaching Dahyun enough to fake it through the rest of the night. She would talk her husband round tomorrow.

 

The final story took place the week before school broke up for Christmas, it had finally been announced that Jihyo had once again won the election and so to celebrate her mother had asked her to bring both of her girlfriends round so that they could have a meal together. It was the weekend so her little sisters were with her father, Jihyo having made the decision to no longer see him a few years ago, it would just be her, her mother and her girlfriends. To say Tzuyu was terrified was an understatement. Jihyo had told her about how accepting her mother had been and how she had been researching polyamoury so she would get a better understanding. Tzuyu wasn’t scared of her mother not being nice to her but she was afraid that her mother would know that she wasn’t good enough for Jihyo.

 

Jihyo and Momo were way out of Tzuyu’s league, Jihyo was on her way to a top university and Momo would be choreographing the biggest and best stars in the next few years. Where would Tzuyu be? Still fixing old cars in a garage that was just the front for the gang she was no longer in.

 

However Tzuyu fell in love with Jihyo’s mother.

 

The second she walked in she was wrapped into a big hug and Ms. Park introduced herself, immediately handing the snacks to a happy Momo and ushering Tzuyu in to finally get to know her daughters younger girlfriend. Jihyo’s heart melted at the sight of the three most important people in her life all in the same place, her mother asking Tzuyu about parts of Taiwanese culture that she had Googled literally moments before Momo and Tzuyu had arrived on her motorbike. When her mother went to check on dinner Jihyo kissed both girls, Momo because she left SOME snacks for the rest of them and Tzuyu because she could see the girl was making an effort to get her mother to like her. But when they were sat down to eat Ms. Park asked a question the other two never dreamed of.

 

“So Tzuyu how do your parents feel about you being in Korea?”

 

Tzuyu froze for a moment, lowering the chopsticks that were halfway to , “They…they don’t know.”

 

Ms Park studied her a second, “They don’t know you’re in Korea?”

 

“I haven’t spoken to them for a while.”

 

“Do you miss them?” Momo asked through a full mouth,

 

Tzuyu looked at her food, uncomfortable, “Not really.”

 

Ms Park smiled kindly, sensing the sensitivity of the topic. She reached over and placed a hand on Tzuyu’s hand that was squeezed into a fist, “Well, you have us now. I always said I’d treat whoever Jihyo brought home like my own child, you’re no exception.”

 

They went back to eating, conversation moving on to Momo now. Tzuyu looked up shyly and met Jihyo’s eyes.

 

The older girl mouthed, “I love you.”

 

And for once Tzuyu mouthed it back.

 

“STOP HAVING A MOMENT WITHOUT ME!”

 

“Girls, make sure you include Momo!”

 

“Yes Umma!”

 

“Yes Ms. Park.”

 

Ms Park smiled, “Tzuyu-ah, please. Call me Umma too.”

 

Now that is the final seal of approval.