Sana Hates Hospitals (2na)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

Sana Hates Hospitals (2na)

 

BANG

 

Sana woke up to blinding white everywhere.

 

Her chest hurt when she breathed but as more and more began to come back to her she realised that she was lucky to be alive. She remembered how she had looked in Jimin’s eyes and seen nothing behind the mania, no guilt or remorse, just pure insanity. She could remember how she pleaded for Mina’s life, how her pleas fell on deaf ears. She felt the impact and hit the floor, feeling the cold tile underneath her warm as she bled out. Then another weight fell on her. Mina….where was Mina? Managing to sit herself up she looked around the room, breathing a sigh of relief when she saw Mina asleep in the bed next to her.

 

Her pale frame almost disappearing into the sheets. She didn’t look well, that was for sure, but she was alive. They were both alive. Quickly Sana was able to get a look around the room, she and Mina both had a large number of cards and presents around them. All saying get well soon, we miss you etcetera. She followed it round to the bed opposite, Chaeyoung was occupying it - her shoulder bandaged and she was trying to sketch using her non-dominant hand. Appearing to grow more frustrated as she couldn’t do it. She too was surrounded by cards, presents and well wishes. After a moment she grunted in frustration, obviously trying not to wake anyone, slamming her pen on the small bed table. When she looked up and saw Sana a sad smile crossed her face.

 

“You’re awake.”

 

“I am,” Sana winced as she moved to get comfy, “What happened to you?”

“He got me in the shoulder, you?”

 

“Chest I think.”

 

“Ouch…”

 

Silence.

 

“Mina was awake an hour ago, she worried about you.”

 

“Was she okay?” Sana asked quickly, “Is she in any pain?”

 

“A little sore, she’ll be awake soon. Mostly she worried about you.”

 

“How long was I asleep?”

 

“The shooting was two days ago,” Chaeyoung explained, “Momo and Mina’s families are here to watch you both, they’re the ones that left most of that.”

 

Sana’s eyes drifted to an emptier part of the room, Tzuyu was asleep in the bed with only a single card and bouquet next to her, “It looks so empty…” Sana thought a moment, “Poor Momo, she must have been so scared.”

 

“Jihyo looked after her.”

 

“Jihyo should have had time to grieve too.” Sana wasn’t in the mood to be bubbly today,

 

“Tzuyu got hurt pretty bad, she was the last one he shot before the police tackled him.” Chaeyoung told her, “Jackson’s planning to kill him if he ever steps on the pavement again.”

 

“Good.”

 

There was a little noise from beside her and Sana looked over to Mina who was beginning to wake up. She was pale and if she wasn't blinking, Sana would have easily mistaken her for a corpse. When the ballerina met her eyes tears flooded to them, “You’re okay.”

 

“Of course I am.” Sana told her, eyes studying her face in an attempt to prove she wasn’t hurt, “What happened?”

 

“He shot you…shot me and then left. I lost consciousness pretty quick.”

 

“Are you alright? Do you feel okay?”

 

Mina nodded and sent her a smile which was enough to make Sana feel eternally better. Mina then went on to explain how Nayeon’s parents had arranged for the four of them to share a room so that people could visit without being relatives. They talked about anything and everything, Chaeyoung weighing in here and there when she thought it appropriate. Sana felt good about this, she didn’t like hospitals very much. The idea that someone in this hospital would die soon made her feel uncomfortable, she didn’t like injections or the thought of some doctor cutting her open made her queasy. It wasn’t until lunch time when the Doctor came in.

 

“Sorry for the delay ladies, had to do a strange operation on a raccoon.”

 

“Did it live?”

 

“Yeah, some teacher took it back with her.” He smiled at them all, “It’s good to see the three of you awake, you nearly left us for a time there.”

 

“So what’s up doc?” Chaeyoung asked,

 

The Doctor’s smile began to fade, “I need to speak with Ms Myoui, I’m afraid I have some bad news.”

 

“What’s the problem?” Mina asked, nervously,

 

Sana turned her head to look at her, she knew Mina struggled in situations out of her control. The look on the Doctor’s face was grave and both girls were somewhat terrified for what he was about to tell them, “So as you are aware, Ms Myoui, the bullet that hit you shot just below your stomach. While we were lucky it didn’t cause any fatal damage there was a lot of damage done, especially to your womb.”

 

“Y-Yes…”

 

“Unfortunately, due to this damage…” He sighed, “It will be impossible for you to carry a child.”

 

Mina froze, “So I can’t have children of my own?”

 

“I am very sorry Ms Myoui…”

 

“Minari?” Sana called gently,

 

She extended her arm to try and reach for her but her stretch fell short, Mina’s eyes were glassy and she turned to look at Sana. The older girl wanted to take her in her arms and comfort her, sure Mina was in a relationship with another girl and therefore would never have been able to conventionally have a child. But the idea that this was something that had been taken from her, a choice that she herself could no longer make, was as painful as the bullet that had caused the damage. Sana watched as Mina broke down, she couldn’t reach her…she couldn’t do anything except lightly call her name. Just to remind her that she was still there with her, every step of the way.

 

“Doctor, could you ask her mother to come please?” Sana asked, eyes not leaving her crying girlfriend,

 

“Yes, I’ll put the call in now.” He turned to leave, “I am truly sorry.”

 

As he went Sana chanced a look over at Chaeyoung, the shorter girl watching the scene sadly before laying down - wanting to offer them some privacy by at least pretending to be asleep.

 

“Mina,” Sana called, “I love you.”

 

“Sana…I…I…” Mina was sobbing now,

 

“I love you so much,” Sana repeated, “I love you.”

 

And all Sana could do was repeat that sentence over and over until Mina eventually stopped crying. That was the first time the couple had a long talk about the future, their life goals - want they wanted out of life. They talked up until the door opened and their friends and family came in, it was a needed conversation and as Mina chatted with her mother and Chaeyoung sat holding Jeongyeon’s hand in her good one. Sana couldn’t help but watch Jihyo and Momo with Tzuyu, the girl hadn’t woken yet as far as she knew and her own talk with Mina weighed heavily in her mind. They could never be sure, especially after the events recently, what the future would hold. But now Sana was at least sure that Mina would always be a part of hers.

 

God Sana hated hospitals…