The Ballad of Jimin and Namjoon

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - A prompt from Lifewithoutmichaeng

Not my best chapter I'm sorry!

The Ballad of Jimin and Namjoon

 

Dahyun didn’t know why she’d agreed to this.

 

She had been sat in her science class when someone slipped her a note saying Namjoon wanted to talk to her. The idea of being alone with one of Jimin’s friends, his closest friend in fact, made her blood run cold. What if it was a set up? What if Jimin was waiting for her instead? There were so many ways this could go wrong, Jimin was evil - she really shouldn’t be trusting someone so close to him. She couldn’t ask anyone for advice either, if it got back to Tzuyu she’d kill him…or her…..most likely both of them.But, she owed him. He saved her life the other night and whilst the grounding she got from her parents made her want to die that was just the teenage angst talking. In reality she was grateful to be alive.

 

So against her better judgement she waited round the back of the sports building, it was empty with only trees and a lone staircase heading upwards to a fire escape door. Chaeyoung knew where she was, Dahyun had texted her when she had arrived at the meeting place. She knew Chaeyoung wouldn’t tell anyone unless Dahyun didn’t show up for her next class. She doubted Namjoon would try anything at school without Jimin there to bail him out. Plus it was well known that Namjoon took no part in any of the gang stuff so whatever reason he had asked Dahyun there that day it was probably not about the gang.

 

Nayeon would kill her later.

 

Dahyun couldn’t dwell on this thought for long as Namjoon rounded the corner, alone thank God. He sent her a nervous smile, nervous was good - nervous meant he probably wasn’t going to kill her. Murder requires confidence.

 

“Thanks for coming.” Namjoon smiled,

 

“Well I did owe you,” Dahyun shrugged, “Now what do you want?”

 

Namjoon sighed, “Look I’m not about to stand here and defend Jimin, but I just wanted to try and explain why he’s…well an .”

 

“Why would I care about that?” Dahyun asked,

 

“Because I think something’s going to happen, so I’d rather have people know. I’m not ashamed any more.”

 

Dahyun sighed and sat on the step. Why did everyone always tell HER stories!? She just prayed it was a quick tale, even with her thick winter coat she was beginning to feel the freezing air around them. Her breath visible in the cold air.

 

I met Jimin when I first moved into the same street as him. He was always popular. Just one of those people y’know? Always had people around him, always loved being the centre of attention. The first day we moved in there I had been playing out in our front garden and he had walked over to introduce himself and declare to me that I was now his friend. This was back way before everything started, back when kissing was icky. He was this normal kid, a bit entitled but what rich kid isn’t? Jimin always had the latest games and toys but he’d let anyone play with them.

 

He was generous back then.

 

Jimin’s dad had a lot of expectations in him. When Jimin started school his father expected him to join the football team, expected him to be popular, expected him to get good grades and get a good girlfriend that could be shown off like a trophy. He didn’t like me, especially as we got older and he realised that Jimin and I were getting really close. We’d sneak out together to stargaze, we’d sleep round each others houses. We were best friends, we were together all the time…

 

Jimin trailed off with a nostalgic smile and Dahyun pitied him for a moment. He’d met Jimin before he was…well Jimin so Dahyun could except why Namjoon had stood by him for so long. But there was something the boy wasn’t telling her, that she was sure he was about to divulge.

 

“The next thing I say…just…leave it out if you tell anyone,” Namjoon begged, “Please.”

 

“Of course.”

 

One day we were on Jimin’s roof stargazing, Jimin always knew where the stars were. He knew all of the constellations and the story behind each one. There was a lapse in conversation and when I looked at him he was already watching me, that stupid small smirk on his face.I don’t know why I did it, but I suddenly closed the gap and kissed him. My first kiss, I actually panicked at first. But then he kissed me back, it was amazing. It was like everything made sense, the stares, the tension filled nights on the roof. I walked home that night buzzing, it was like nothing else in the world could go wrong. Until the next day when that illusion had shattered.

 

Jimin’s dad had seen us.

 

When I next saw Jimin he was sporting a black eye, he’d knocked on my door and told me I was sick. He said he was sorry he indulged me and that he still wanted to be friends but I had to give up this “disgusting” crush on him. He didn’t mean any of it, his dad was stood on the street outside watching us, but it hurt. It really hurt. But he was my best friend, I wasn’t about to lose him so I agreed. After that we both started making a big show of liking girls only over time I stopped trying to kid myself, I’m a gay man and that’s not changing, whilst Jimin…

 

“Went to far the other way.” Dahyun concluded,

 

“His Dad doesn’t care that Jimin attacked those girls,” Namjoon snorted in disgust, “If Jimin had attacked boys then his Dad would have done something. At least now he can continue his fantasy of having a perfect, straight, masculine son.”

 

Dahyun studied Namjoon a moment, “I’m sorry, but him being a closeted homoual does not excuse him for all the ed up he’s done. He attacked those girls and myself because that was his decision. There’s no excuse.”

 

“I’m not trying to excuse him.” Namjoon told her honestly, “Just trying to explain him, two sides of every coin. But the Jimin I knew, that I fell in love with, is dead. I’m not stupid, I know that much.”

 

“So why tell me any of that?”

 

“Because it means you’ll trust what I say next,” Namjoon’s expression darkened, “He has something planned.”

 

“Planned?”

 

Namjoon nodded, “Jimin’s been talking about a grand finale, I don’t know what Tzuyu’s told you about the gang war…”

 

“Nothing,” Dahyun confirmed, “She keeps us out of it all.”

 

“Well he’s losing, badly. This grand finale is his last chance of a win, only I asked around and nobody knows what it is. Whatever is happening he’s doing it alone, most of the guys have started distancing themselves - they’re scared of him. We don’t know what he’s capable of and we’re his friends.”

 

“When did he say this finale would happen?”

 

“Before Christmas break.” Namjoon confirmed,

 

Dahyun felt her skin crawl, her stomach twisting with worry, “What do you think it is?”

 

Namjoon swallowed and sent her a scared look, “Something bad. Something not even he can come back from.”