Depression Double Act

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - I has twitter…probably will never be used but still: Harry Twotter

 

I wanna give Momo her own plotline in this - any ideas are welcome

 

Depression Double Act

 

“Lisa! For God’s sake it’s not that hard - get it right!”

 

Jeongyeon and Dahyun had been having a rough few weeks. Dahyun, having just broken up with Nayeon, was suffering the most visibly. Sana and Mina had both tried to explain what had happened but it was like Dahyun just couldn’t hear them, the only part she registered was that Nayeon had developed some form of feelings for her ex and for that reason alone Dahyun had been avoiding her like the plague. She’d come to school, go to classes, spend breaks in the practice room and then go home. Never even entertaining the thought of spotting her in school. It was how Dahyun coped with things, she avoided her problems until either they went away or she moved on. Therefore, not only was she staying away from Nayeon but the entire group were out too. Everyone was too intertwined and so Dahyun couldn’t risk seeing them, so she and Jeongyeon both broke off from the others.

 

Jeongyeon was also struggling, only she did so as she usually did: by ignoring the real issue and taking it out on someone else. In this case she was taking out her frustrations on their replacement drummer. Poor Lisa had offered to be the interim drummer whilst Jeongyeon found someone suitable and due to having to learn all their songs very quickly she was still making a few mistakes. When it came to music Jeongyeon was a perfectionist, Chaeyoung had known this and so whenever a new song was written she’d make sure she had it perfect before rehearsal. Lisa wasn’t Chaeyoung and so Jeongyeon was more grumpy than usual. Lisa’s girlfriend, Rose aka the Other Chaeyoung, was too nice to voice her discomfort at how her girl was being spoken to. Lisa was just so used to being yelled at she didn’t even register it. Jennie, Lisa’s best friend, however had to be restrained a few times to keep her from throwing hands. They knew it all came from a place of hurt so they had silently decided to keep quiet for at least another month - if she continued being a afterwards Jennie could cut her.

 

“Sorry dude,” Lisa shrugged, “It’s a rough solo - cut me some slack.”

 

“No excuse, you’ve had weeks to learn it!” Jeongyeon snapped,

 

Dahyun decided to play peacemaker before Jennie, whom was sat in the corner, overpowered Jisoo, “Look class is going to start soon anyway, let’s pick this up tomorrow morning. That’ll give Lisa a bit more time to get it down.”

 

Jeongyeon sighed, “You’re right. Sorry Lisa, I’m just stressed - I shouldn’t take it out on you, I have a habit of doing that.”

 

“It’s cool,” Lisa shrugged, packing up her sticks and jumping to her feet, “You’re missing the short-stop, you’re acting out - we’re cool.”

 

Jeongyeon thanked her and Lisa grabbed Rose’s hand, the girl’s all falling out after the couple. Jisoo pulling a glaring Jennie along with her, if the mood were different Jeongyeon would be fearing for her life. Jennie was a scary . Dahyun squeezed Jeongyeon’s shoulder, sensing her friend wanted to be alone she decided to just head to class a little early. She was dealing with her own grief and so she couldn’t comfort her friend particularly well. Plus she was conflicted, on one hand Chaeyoung was a free spirit and Jeongyeon could not have expected to control her like she was, on the other Jeongyeon was just worried. Tzuyu was a dangerous person, or at least the people around her were and Jeongyeon had some reason to worry. It was a difficult situation that would have put Dahyun in a hard piggy-in-the-middle situation had it not been for her own separation to the group.

 

The reason for her separation standing at the end of the corridor looking nervous. Now, Dahyun liked to think she was nice to everyone but at the moment she could only think of one person she wanted to see less. Mina was awkwardly pacing at the mouth to the corridor, torn between up her anxiety to talk to Dahyun and running back outside to where Sana was waiting for her. Only the decision now appeared to have been taken from her when her eyes met the uncharacteristically cold ones of Kim Dahyun. The younger said nothing, just made to walk past her as though she was not even there but Mina reached out and grabbed her wrist before she could leave.

 

“Wait! Dahyun, please!” Mina called out, “Can we talk, just for a second?”

 

“There’s nothing I want to say to you.”

 

Mina sighed, Dahyun sending her a harsh look but staying still, “Nayeon’s miserable….”

 

“Good.”

 

“And so are you!” Mina added, “Please, there has to be a way to fix this. She loves you, I promise she was going to tell you everything she just never got the chance before Nancy---”

 

“So she didn’t have feelings for you?” Dahyun snapped, “She wasn’t doubting her feelings for me? It was just the angle, a huge misunderstanding.”

 

Mina was quiet.

 

“I thought as much.”

 

Dahyun turned to storm off again but once more was pulled back, “Look, I know what happened is hard to reason but you both deserve to be together. You make her so happy Dahyun, a momentary lapse of judgement shouldn’t change that. Nayeon felt nothing when she kissed me, all she could think about was how I wasn’t you.”

 

“That doesn’t matter.”

“There has to be something I can do.”

 

“There really isn’t.”

 

“What if you kissed Sana? You liked her once, right? Kiss for a kiss?” It was a long shot but Mina was desperate,

 

Dahyun tore her arm back, “That’s the difference, I didn’t need to kiss Sana to prove I was over her.”

 

Dahyun turned and stormed off, this time Mina let her go. This was well beyond her realm of fixing, it was up to Nayeon to try now. The only issue was that ever since Nancy had crossed her Nayeon had changed, not in a good way either. With a sigh Mina waited another moment before walking out of the building herself, planning to get a hug from her girlfriend to make the guilt stop. It wouldn’t work but she could try. Had she waited a moment longer she probably would have been scolded by Jeongyeon who walked into the hallway shortly after Mina’s departure. She had some flyers advertising the search for a new drummer to put up. She had a free period this morning and so planned to put them up all over school.

 

She walked over to the notice board to pin one up, adding her own paper to the hundreds of others advertising gigs or other arts related time wastes. It was a moment or two before her eyes began drifting to the supply cupboard next to the board. It had been where Chaeyoung was found after….where she nearly died. It had been locked after that and never used since. It wouldn’t surprise her if some of Chaeyoung’s blood was inside still, stained in a crevice. Bile rose in and she turned her face away before stepping away from the board. Then a hand distracted her, it had reached out to take one of the numbers from Jeongyeon’s flyer.

 

“Oh,” Jeongyeon gasped, shocked out of her depressive thoughts, “You interested?”

 

The girl turned and smiled shyly, tucking some hair behind her ear, “Y-Yeah, I’ve been drumming for years but never been in a band before.”

 

Jeongyeon smiled kindly, this girl was cute, “I’m Jeongyeon, it’s my band - I’m singer and lead guitar.”

 

The girl smiled back, relieved that the band leader seemed nice, “Sakura, novice drummer.”

 

Jeongyeon didn’t know what it was but something about this girl made her like her. She just seemed…cute and sweet and Jeongyeon thought she’d make a great addition to the band.

 

“Well then Sakura, see you at try-outs on Friday.”