The Performance (MoJiTzu)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - A prompt from my friend kimcharmie_SNSD. THIS IS A 2 PARTER.

 

The Performance (MoJiTzu)

 

Jihyo didn’t know how Momo talked her into it but it was quite funny.

 

It had started after their study session once everyone had gone home leaving the trio to cuddle in Tzuyu’s bed. Jihyo had gone to let their friends out and when she had returned Momo was begging Tzuyu for something. Not an uncommon occurrence but as they were both fully clothed and not in the middle of some form of activity Jihyo knew it’d be something else. Turns out Momo’s dance partner for the school’s dance showcase had pulled out and she needed a replacement. They both knew Tzuyu could dance, what they do in their time is their business. But from the sounds of it Momo wanted Tzuyu to perform with her.

 

“C’mon Chewy!” Momo pleaded, “If you do this it could help get rid of you astigmatism!”

 

“She means stigma.” Jihyo added with a smile,

 

“What’s the difference?”

 

Tzuyu smiled at Momo, genuinely, “It means I’d have something wrong with my eyes.”

 

“Oh,” Momo then went back to begging, “Please, Tzuyu?”

 

Tzuyu sighed, “I don’t know, can’t Mina do it?”

 

“Mina’s doing it with BamBam…”

 

“Understatement of the century.”

 

“Pleeeaaaassee??”

 

Jihyo watched Tzuyu’s resolve melt, she was a big softy underneath it all. Long story short Tzuyu agreed to do it and Momo was right, the stigma around Tzuyu did start to fade. Now that people knew that Momo was friends with her and liked her, despite not knowing the extent, everyone was starting to be nicer to the gangster. It seemed like a win-win situation…..so why wasn’t Jihyo happy. It was strange for her to be the one not involved in what the other two were doing. Sure she didn’t know much about cheerleading but she still went to watch Momo, she didn’t know what Tzuyu did at night but would always tend her bruises in the morning. She was so used to being almost like the centrepiece of their trio, it was hard for her to be out of the loop.

 

Every day after school now they were rehearsing leaving Jihyo to go home and do homework by herself. She missed them, she missed Momo’s big bear hugs and Tzuyu her hair as she slowly went to sleep. Why did this bother her so much? They were her girlfriends, she couldn’t be so selfish but yet that’s how it felt. Her insecurity got so bad that she ended up confessing to her Mother about their relationship. Her mother knew about Momo and adored the girl and it took a bit of explaining for Jihyo to make her understand that they were all dating. But her Mother was supportive and had offered her advice. Her advice to Jihyo was to be supportive, to be happy for them - especially Tzuyu who never really got this opportunity very often.

 

Soon the night of the showcase came and Jihyo dragged Nayeon along to come see it with her, not that Nayeon was complaining - Dahyun would also be performing. The first half went by with little issue, Mina and BamBam danced to a Leboum song which was very impressive and Jeongyeon’s band played a few good songs. Soon the finale of LaLa Land came up. Momo looked pretty in her bright yellow dress and Jihyo’s heart fluttered at how cute she was. When Tzuyu came out Jihyo needed a moment, she was dressed in a shirt and tie with her hair back in a pony tail.

 

“Look at Daddy Tzuyu…” Nayeon teased into her ear but Jihyo ignored her,

 

She watched them dance together with complete precision. When A Lovely Night began to play Jihyo’s heart stopped a little. They looked so perfect, like they had been dancing together for years not weeks. Jihyo kept trying to remind herself that this would be good for Tzuyu’s popularity and reputation….but she wanted to be up there too. She wanted to dance with Momo and be close to a masculine looking Tzuyu but the part was only for a couple. There was no representation for the three of them, no public view apart from a few crappy reality shows in the west. So there would only ever be two of them in the spotlight, one would always have to stand on the sidelines.

 

When it ended she made sure to leave quickly, Momo was going to drive them back to Tzuyu’s for the night but Jihyo needed a moment before then. Nayeon sensed something was wrong but got distracted by Dahyun and so could not follow. Jihyo ran round the corner of the old humanities block to find it completely empty. Tzuyu wasn’t there for once and despite the night making the area look somewhat suspect, Jihyo still felt safe. She let it all out, leaning her back on the wall as she sobbed. This wasn’t fair, she shouldn’t have to feel like this - she should be congratulating her girlfriends right now not crying all by herself.

 

After a moment or two, a pair of cold hands clutched her arms. Tzuyu pulled Jihyo into her embrace and rocked her back and fourth, not caring that the white dress shirt was being ruined by runny make-up and tears. She had spotted the girl escaping and, once making sure Momo was with her cheerleading friends, followed her. After a moment or two of Tzuyu gently pecking the top of Jihyo’s head did the girl calm down. Tzuyu led her over to the concrete bench and knelt in front of her, wiping away all the make-up that had run down her girlfriend’s beautiful face.

 

“Was the performance that bad?” Tzuyu joked,

 

Jihyo laughed a little, “No, you were amazing.”

 

“Then why are you crying?” Tzuyu cradled her head, gently wiping away any stray tears with her thumbs,

 

Jihyo leaned into her hands, “It’s stupid…”

 

“I doubt that.”

 

“I just wish,” Jihyo sighed, “I wish I could’ve been up there too. Dancing with you both.”

 

Tzuyu smiled, “I know the feeling, I always wish I could kiss Momo when the jocks are being jerks or hug you when you’re stressed about a council meeting.”

 

“Then why do we have to hide you? I hate it Tzuyu! Our friends don’t care, if anyone else does….that’s their problem.”

 

Tzuyu held her hands and rubbed the backs of them with her thumbs, “I love you both so much, I know I don’t say it often but I do. I can’t have you or Momo lose the things you love because of my selfishness. I can fade into the background, I don’t mind. But Jihyo you’re election is next semester, what if I cost you that?”

 

“I wouldn’t care because then at least I could say you’re mine.”

 

“You still can,” Tzuyu smiled sadly, “But I can’t get in the way of something you were born to do.”

 

“What about after the election?” Momo’s voice spoke up,

 

She walked over to them and sat next to Jihyo, pulling her to lean on her shoulder while Tzuyu held her hands still, “After Jihyo’s re-elected, then can we finally tell people?”

 

“But your captaincy….”

 

“My captaincy will be fine,” Momo snapped, uncharacteristically mature now that Jihyo was unable to take that role, “I have Sana and Mina who will back me and bring in the rest of the girls votes.”

 

Tzuyu sighed, “Fine, after the election we’ll tell everyone.”

 

Jihyo leaned forward and pecked Tzuyu’s forehead, “I know you’re scared too, but nothing bad is going to happen - I promise.”

 

Tzuyu pulled Jihyo into a kiss, letting her know how she felt and offering a little comfort through it. Momo watched them and waited for her turn, usually she’d be trying to get their attention but right now both girls needed comfort so she could wait.

 

Tzuyu had waited the longest,

 

Jihyo had waited the quietest,

 

Momo could wait too.

 

Because sometimes the best things take a little time.