Break (2na)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - A prompt from Stifer and xxWolfPuppy7xx

 

Break (2na)

 

It was very hard to be friends with Minatozaki Sana.

 

It was even harder to be in love with her.

 

The girl smothered everyone in so much love that it began to get difficult to tell what her intentions truly were. This is why Mina was having a rough time. After Chaeyoung told her she had finally gotten Jeongyeon to like her back the shorter girl had returned to her friendship group leaving Mina either watching Sana flirt or sitting in silence with Tzuyu whilst everyone (mainly Cheng Xiao) stared at her. Not that Sana took much notice anyway, lately she’d been hanging out with Eunha, a fellow cheerleader. Mina was beginning to wonder whether it was time to leave Sana behind, she did have other friends but with Sana always being so….Sana, Mina considered maybe she should hang out with people a little bit more grown up.

 

As she was thinking this over in her science class a small folded up note landed on her desk. She looked up but no one was looking in her direction. Making sure the teacher was distracted Mina slowly unfurled the note.

 

Hey Mina,

 

Wanted to know if you’d eat lunch with me today? It’s cool if you don’t though…

 

BamBam

X

 

BamBam was a sweet guy she shared a few classes with. He had made no secret about his crush on her but because Mina was focused on Sana she had never given him the time of day. Mina had been over what had happened with Nayeon for a while, maybe it was time for her to start dating again? Mina was a lot like Tzuyu in the sense that neither girl labelled themselves, in Tzuyu’s case she didn’t really get close to enough people to know for sure but in Mina’s she hadn’t really thought it necessary. She had no problem with seeing both men and women…heck even anyone in between. So why not? It’s only lunch!

 

Sure, meet me at the canteen??

 

When break came around Mina went for cheerleading practice, they all had a free period next instead of study hall for cheerleading. Apparently news travels fast because when Mina entered the hall, everyone was whispering and sparing her glances. She began feeling slightly self-conscious, but luckily Momo bounded over and pulled her towards where she and Sana had been talking. Sana looked….upset. Like a kid does when they’re told they can’t have any sweets until after dinner.

 

“Is it true?” Momo asked excitedly,

 

“Is what true?”

 

“That you’re eating lunch with BamBam?”

 

“Oh that!” Mina finally clocked on, “Yeah I am, why?”

 

Momo wrapped Mina in a bear-hug which nearly popped her lungs, “Finally, you’re over Nayeon!”

 

“Thanks….Mo….Can’t….Breath….Air…Running…Short!” Mina sighed in relief as Momo let her down, quickly going to tell some Freshmen that the hall was out of use this break,

 

“I thought we were having lunch.” Sana pouted,

 

Mina looked at her, confused, “I assumed you’d be eating with Eunha again.”

 

“What if I wanted to eat with you?” Sana asked, “Eunha is old news anyway.”

 

That pissed Mina right off.

 

“Wait, so when you get one of your girlfriends you expect me to sit all by myself until you get bored of them and then I become top priority again. What the hell Sana?”

 

Sana took a step back as Mina began to rant at her about how immature she was being. Sana didn’t even know why she was angry, Mina had every right to date whoever she wanted. Besides Mina and BamBam weren’t even together, Mina only opted to with him because she thought Sana was busy. So why did Sana’s chest ache at the thought of Mina and BamBam together, the same ache she had when Mina had kissed Chaeyoung at the party. Or when Nayeon would hold Mina’s hand as they walked down the hallway.

 

“And another thing---Are you even listening?”

 

Damn she’s hot when she’s mad.

 

“You’re not, are you!?”

 

Wait…what?

 

How typical!”

 

Mina was hot? Where did that come from?!

 

“Sana??”

 

Oh my God….

 

“SANA!”

 

OH MY GOD!

 

For sake--”

 

“I gotta go.”

 

Sana bolted from the gym, Mina and Momo calling after her. She couldn’t believe this, it could not be happening. Sana cut through the art building, she didn’t even notice that she had shoved Chaeyoung into a closet by accident. The bell rang but it didn’t get through to Sana, she could only hear a light ringing noise. All she could do was panic as more and more things began making sense. The jealousy, the showing off to get a rise…everything. She left the arts block and ran round the corner to catch her breath. Breathing in and out slowly, as she looked up she saw Tzuyu laying on the grassy area, watching the clouds.

 

“Shouldn’t you be cheerleading?”

 

“Shouldn’t you be in class?”

 

“Touché.”

 

“Can I join you?”

 

“Free country.”

 

Sana dumped her bag and lay next to her, staring up at the clouds. Neither said anything, to be honest even if Sana hadn’t had a hurricane of thoughts going through her mind she wouldn’t know what to say to Tzuyu. Though at the noise of her sniffling Tzuyu felt a need to break the silence.

 

“Dooo you wanna talk about it?”

 

“Not really.”

 

“Thank Go--”

 

“It’s Mina,” Sana blurted out, “I think I’m in love with her.”

 

“That much was obvious, why you freaking out now?”

 

“That’s not very helpful.”

 

“Was I meant to be?”

 

“No but…” Sana sighed, “What do I do?”

 

“Tell her..?” Tzuyu answered like it was as easy as telling Mina she’d passed a test,

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Why?” Tzuyu wasn’t even really listening at this point,

 

“Because I don’t want to put her through what Nayeon put her through,” Sana confessed, “I love skinship, hugging and kissing and everything like it. She doesn’t, plus I’m a---”

 

“Snake?”

 

“I was going to say an experienced woman. Mina isn’t, I don’t want to scare her.”

 

“Then don’t tell her.”

 

“But the only reason I am so experienced is because I was jealous of Mina and Nayeon. Have I really loved her for so long without knowing??”

 

“Then tell her.”

 

“She’s going out with BamBam now so I’ve missed my chance.”

 

“BamBam?” Tzuyu knew BamBam through Mark, “Like, asked her out?”

 

“Asked her to have lunch…”

 

“Then all he’s done is say: ‘yo eat a sandwich next to me’.”

 

“I should let her be happy.”

 

“Cool.”

 

“I should let her find someone she really likes and just….wait.”

 

“Sounds like a plan.”

 

“Or…”

 

“Aaaand the conversations not over.”

 

“I can pursue her from the background, wait until she gives me an in and confess.”

 

“That wont go wrong.”

 

Sana began standing up, “Thanks for your help Tzuyu!”

 

She then ran out leaving Tzuyu by herself, “I need to find a new hang out.”

 

Meanwhile, cheerleading practice ended early due to Sana not being there. As Mina was just leaving the locker room she had time to think. Maybe this lunch with BamBam came at an ideal time. She couldn’t keep hurting, neither could she stop being friends with Sana because the older girl was her best friend. Mina decided she had to let her go, romantically at least. But from her behaviour today maybe Mina needed more time away from her.

 

She needed a break.