Study Session

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

Study Session

 

It was Saturday and the group were going to begin studying for their end of semester tests. It had surprisingly been Jeongyeon that had floated the idea of all studying together, she thought it’d be best for them to get to know each other in order to complete the task set by Ms Song during their detention. Nayeon sat in Jihyo’s car on the passengers side, they had stopped outside the school dorms and were waiting for Sana and Momo. Mina was somewhere else today so Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung were going to swing by and pick her up before getting Dahyun.

 

There had been a large debate about where to host this study session. Jihyo’s house was out because it was being re-decorated and the dorms were too small to fit everyone. Jeongyeon’s parents and Chaeyoung’s parents didn’t want eight strange girls in their houses and Dahyun’s were very religious and therefore it would not be worth the hassle those gays would receive. As for Nayeon? The maids told her parents about the party and therefore Nayeon was no longer allowed to have friends over. So this meant they all ended up driving to Little China. Nayeon was excited, she had never been to Little China before.

 

Once Sana and Momo were in the car they set off and soon the Korean signs turned into Chinese characters. After a while they noticed the car behind them was Jeongyeon’s. Nayeon was in awe of all the street vendors, they passed one street that Nayeon could glimpse a market place. She may come down here herself one day. Eventually they pulled up in front of a large house, the front door was shut but there was a man shouting what the group could only assume was Mandarin. He was dressed in only his underpants and as the group left their respective cars they watched a woman on the third floor fling his clothes out of the window.

 

你撒謊作為一個!” She screamed down at him,

 

對不起,我愛你!” He yelled back,

 

The others looked awkwardly at the scene but Momo and Jihyo just ignored it, leading the way to the front door. Jihyo knocked on it, having learnt that the bell had been y-trapped by some of the residents to scare off anyone looking for them - it now gave out strong electric shocks. The door opened but it didn’t move to far due to the chain-lock not allowing the door to open to wide.

 

如果你現在不離開,我會削減你的雞巴離!” A voice snapped from behind the door,

 

“Nan!” Jihyo called, peeking in through the side, “We’re here to see Tzuyu.”

 

The old woman’s demeanour instantly changed to a more welcoming one and she opened the door, “Ah, Jihyo-ah! Please come in, quickly though we don’t want that man coming in.”

 

All the girls walked into the long hallway and watched Momo and Jihyo greet the elder, she looked kind but also held an aura of “don’t with me” which they were all more than happy to respect. Footsteps came down the stairs and Elkie gave them a look, in Jeongyeon’s case a glare, before saying something to Nan. The older woman excused herself and followed Elkie up the stairs.

 

“Zi-yu is in her room, do go up.” She called as she left,

 

Once more Jihyo and Momo led the way to the attic room. Jeongyeon made sure that her hand was in Chaeyoung’s the whole time, she knew the likelihood of anyone hurting them wasn’t high but she wasn’t taking any chances. She was also very aware of Chaeyoung’s fascination with the gang lifestyle and didn’t want her to do anything stupid. Momo didn’t even knock on the door, instead she just waltzed straight in and tackled Tzuyu on to the bed. Jeongyeon laughed at the brief moment of alarm that showed on Tzuyu’s face as she was pounced on by the energetic cheerleader. Jihyo smiled at them and once Momo had kissed Tzuyu and run over to her mini-fridge, Jihyo walked over and pecked Tzuyu’s lips as well. She sat next to her, Jeongyeon noting that this was probably because Tzuyu still wasn’t very comfortable with them all yet.

 

They quickly began studying, mostly trying to prevent any form of awkward conversation. Luckily as the attic room was quite big there was room for them all. Chaeyoung sat on Jeongyeon’s lap at the desk, both reading different things. Nayeon and Dahyun sat on the small sofa, both occupying separate corners but their lower legs entwined in the middle. On the bed Tzuyu was sitting on her bed, Jihyo laying on her side next to her reading her notes and Momo holding one of Jihyo’s hands with her head on Tzuyu’s knee - trying not to fall asleep. Mina was sat on the floor, leaning her back against Momo’s side of the bed and Sana lay on her stomach in the dead centre. It had been an hour and Sana’s brain had started to melt so she was looking around for something to distract her. She spotted three photos on her dresser. Making sure Tzuyu was still staring at her book, Sana stood and went over to them.

 

The first was Tzuyu standing between two women, she looked quite young but there was something else different about this picture. Tzuyu also looked very relaxed and….warmer than Sana had ever seen her. Sana didn’t know who these women were but clearly Tzuyu was very happy when they were there.

 

The second was of Tzuyu, Jihyo and Momo - all pulling silly faces and it made Sana smile. While she had reservations about Tzuyu at first, now that she’d seen more of her interaction with Momo she felt more at ease with their relationship. She made Momo happy and that’s all Sana wanted.

 

The third was Tzuyu looking the same age as the first one, she wasn’t looking at the camera. Instead she had her usual stoic expression, aiming down the sight of a bow and arrow. Behind in there was a medal in a little box. Sana lifted it up and wiped some of the dust off the top of the cold metal.

 

“You used to be an archer?”

 

Tzuyu looked at her, “Yeah, back in Taiwan.”

 

“She was training for the Olympics!” Momo gushed sitting up,

 

“Wow,” Sana was genuinely surprised, “There’s an archery team at school, you should join - they haven’t won in years.”

 

“That’s not a bad idea, Tzu.” Jihyo agreed,

 

Tzuyu looked conflicted, “I can’t.”

 

“Why not?” Mina asked joining the conversation,

 

Sensing Tzuyu was uncomfortable again Jihyo sat up and let Tzuyu lean on her, “Do push guys, I’m sure she’s got her reasons.”

 

The rest of the day passed by quickly, it wasn’t awkward but it wasn’t full of chatter. Occasionally Tzuyu or Momo would not know the meaning of a Korean word and Jihyo would gently teach them. Mina watched their dynamic with interest. She didn’t know how anyone could even bring up a three way relationship, but for those three it worked. Jihyo was the voice of reason, always helping and always trying to do her best. Momo counteracted that, immature and naive, but she also knew when Jihyo needed to take a break or when Tzuyu needed space. Tzuyu was the protector, with Momo’s naive nature she needed someone like Tzuyu to explain things that were potentially harmful and when Jihyo would have late night student council meetings Tzuyu would either wait around or get detention just to walk her home. They worked so well. Two couldn’t function without the other, they were all in or nothing.

 

Mina pondered this relationship long after she had returned to the dorm she shared with Sana and Momo. Momo had stayed at Tzuyu’s for the night and Jihyo had also stayed meaning that everyone had to climb into Jeongyeon’s car. Due to lack of space Dahyun sat on Nayeon’s lap and everyone prayed the wouldn’t be pulled over. Sana and Mina stood awkwardly in the living room, having not spoken since Sana had bolted during Mina’s rant.

 

“So,” Sana began, “Were you with BamBam today?”

 

“It wouldn’t be any of your business but yes I was.”

 

“Are you and he--”

 

“Sorry Sana, but this really hasn’t got anything to do with you so I’m going to bed.”

 

Rather than chase after her like Sana should’ve done she sighed and left, choosing to sleep somewhere else tonight. Mina heard the door slam from her room and let a lone tear roll down her cheek.

 

She had hoped Sana would chase after her,