Minayeon (NaHyun)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

 

A/N - This is a prompt from: Wolf_Puppy and it’s the chapter a lot of you were waiting for.

 

Minayeon (NaHyun)

 

Dahyun was beginning to get really sick of Nayeon ignoring her.

 

Sure, she had practically begged the girl to take her first kiss - but she thought she could at least get a conversation with her at some point. But nope, she was never around. Or if she was she was surrounded by so many people that there was no point even trying. Plus she was ignoring her calls, if Nayeon didn’t like her it would be better just to tell her. Toying with her feelings like this wasn’t okay. She had tried to talk to Chaeyoung about it but she just kept telling her that Nayeon was bad news and that she should embrace the ignoring. But Dahyun needed an answer, she needed to hear it from Nayeon herself.

 

So she did the only thing she could do, she tracked her down.

 

There was a rooftop garden which was property of the student council, they would grow flowers and fruit and vegetables which they would sell at the end of the year to raise money for next years student council. Only the members could go up there and since Dahyun hadn’t been seeing Nayeon ANYWHERE during lunch and break she deduced the older girl must be hiding up there. So when that lunch time rolled around Dahyun walked with purpose up to the council garden and sure enough Nayeon was there, brooding and looking out over the view. Dahyun walked up next to her and Nayeon sighed.

 

“You’re not allowed up here.”

 

“You’re avoiding me.” Dahyun countered, “How else could I get you alone?”

 

“What did you want?” Nayeon asked playing dumb,

 

“I enjoyed the kiss, but you didn’t tell me how you felt.”

 

Nayeon sighed, “I liked it too…”

 

“Then why?”

 

“Let me finish.” Nayeon ordered, uncharacteristically softly, “I like you too Dahyun, I don’t know why but I do. But we can’t be together.”

 

“Why!?” Dahyun whined,

 

Nayeon was silent and Dahyun could fill in the pieces.

 

“What happened between you and Mina?”

 

Nayeon studied her for a moment, “I can tell you, but you wont like me by the end.”

 

Dahyun placed her hand over Nayeon’s on the wall. Nayeon took a deep breath in and decided to start from the beginning.

 

“I met Mina just before freshman year, at my cousins ballet recital….”

 

I was tranfixed by how she moved. The grace, the elegance of it. How she knew when to move and how far to move. She was beautiful, it was like she was only dancing for me and I couldn’t look away. Years of training were so obvious, the practiced moves and the identical expressions to whomever she was dancing with. Perfect precision, not one step out of place. The way she glided around the room was expert, just truly stunning. Once the dance was finished a loud girl in the front began whooping and cheering, I’d later know that person as Sana but right now I just thought she was annoying. My eyes were stuck on her for the rest of the day, I think I even ignored my cousin’s performance. I was just…consumed by her.

 

Towards the end of the day I finally spoke to her, I think Sana was also there but I can’t remember. From there we became friends and eventually girlfriends.

 

“Wow, you like talented people huh?”

 

Nayeon smiled, “Yeah, I think people with drives and talents are extremely attractive.”

 

“So what happened?”

 

“Highschool happened.”

 

It was no secret that I wanted to be popular. I’m fame hungry, I can admit that. Mina, however, preferred to stay in the background. Which I was fine with, until I realised that we could be the top power couple at this school. When I told Mina about this plan she immediately refused and didn’t want any attention on her. But eventually I talked her round and we did what I had dreamed of - we became the schools most popular couple. This was before Momo and Jihyo got together so we were the first lesbian couple at school too. We’d hold hands, we’d cuddle in public and I was loving all the attention we were receiving….Mina not so much.

 

I was so desperate to be liked and be popular that soon it felt like every interaction I had with Mina was fake. I remember Sana yelled at me once for making Mina feel uncomfortable but I was so set in my own mindset, so focused on my end goal, that I ignored her. Then I went to far.

 

There were tears in Nayeon’s eyes now, “You’ll hate me after this.”

 

“I wont hate you,” Dahyun told her, gripping her hand tighter, “I could never hate you.”

 

Eventually people began to get bored, as they often do, they weren’t getting any sort of relationship progression because in reality there was none. I was so focused on the public view of our relationship that I had completely ignored how Mina had felt about it. That I had forgotten that she was really my girlfriend, that wasn’t an act. I was so desperate to keep peoples attention that I started wondering what I could do.

 

We were stood in front of most of my class at the time, they were teasing us as they often did. Someone, I don’t remember who, brought up the idea of kissing and we were immediately asked if we had. I had my first kiss when I was eight, something Mina knew and didn’t mind, but I lied and said that neither of us had kissed anyone yet. I wanted to make the story more romantic y’know? They started chanting for us to kiss and I remember Mina looking really scared and Sana trying to shut everyone up.

 

But rather than stand up for her….I….I……I just kissed her - then and there in front of everyone. I took her first kiss not because I care about her or that I loved her, I did it for selfish reasons. I remember as my lips were moving against her frozen ones, the bell rang and everyone went to class. Sana yanked me away as soon as she could and I think, it may have been Chaeyoung, someone handed Mina a tissue. The middle school were visiting for the day for some reason I don’t remember.

 

You should’ve seen it. How betrayed she looked, how heartbroken. Sana hit me and then walked Sana away to calm her down. I don’t think I’d ever felt that awful before. So I went to her house after school to apologise and hope she wasn’t too angry. Nobody has ever heard Mina shout before, but I have. She yelled at me and screamed at me and I took it all because I deserved it. Then she went deadly silent, that was the last time she ever properly spoke to me. Sana’s never forgiven me, even Momo holds some resentment towards me for it but Mina….Mina hasn’t said anything.

 

“Wow.”

 

“If you wanna leave now, I get it.” Nayeon had tears rolling down her cheeks now, remembering how hurt Mina had been,

 

Because of her.

 

Dahyun pulled her into a hug, “You regret it, that means you’re a good person Nayeon.”

 

“D-Does it? Because I sure as hell don’t feel like one.”

 

“You are,” Dahyun reassured her, pecking her forehead, “You did a bad thing, but you learnt from it. I can see how you don’t want to repeat it. It’s okay to make a mistake Nayeon.”

 

"It wasn't what I did," Nayeon explained, "It was the complete lack of empathy I had whilst doing it. Am I really that selfish? That horrible? Poor Mina did not deserve me at all."

 

Nayeon let out a sob and buried her head into Dahyun’s neck. They both ignored the bell and stayed up there for the rest of the day, wrapped in a tight embrace. Even long after Nayeon had stopped crying they stayed like that. Dahyun reassuring her the whole time.

 

It was going to be alright.