Chapter 14

Haunted Fate

 The silence was heavy while Taemin -heart beating- and the dog looked at each other. Taemin was somehow worried that it was a wolf, and if it was what could it want ? 

They still stared a each other until Taemin accidently burped.

His eyes widened still looking at the dog/wolf until it disapeared again behind the bushes.
When he couldnt be seen anymore, Taemin breathed. It was surely a neighbor's dog ++

When morning came and he opened his eyes, Taemin felt that something bad was coming.

The feeling was still here when he took a shower.
And definitely still here when he went down the stairs.

Nikolai was sitting at the table eating while Matthias was making pancakes. Matthias looked behind him and smiled.
"Hey Taemin , you slept well ?"he asked as he posed the pancakes in a plate "Come eat."

Taemin seated near Nikolai who didn't even didnt acknowledged him.
"What are you doing here ?" asked Taemin to Matthias taking his fork in hand.

"Well you didn't exactly told me what happened last night apart from being chased by a monster and cornered by a Fae."
Nikolai spit out his orange juice at Matthias's face .

"You would have know if you didn't sleep right after we entered the house." said Taemin to Nikolai eyeing him.
Still coughing Nikolai looked at Taemin whose face was aloof. "You .." cough "you've meet a Fae ?"
"So it was for you." said Taemin while Matthias was wiping his face disgusted "They were looking for you and they thought i was you !"

"Well i've told you to be careful." he shrugged.
"But you didn't tell me they were after you ! what is it they wanted from you ?" asked Taemin suddently not so hungry.

"How should i know. Their King is still searching me for apparently...many century."

"For revenge ? ..love ?" asked Matthias curiously.

Silence.

Nikolai bite his lips before whispering his eyes down "Maybe love."
"It's so romantic !" beamed Matthias clapping while Nikolai groaned.
"Or maybe for my magic who knows with that mother er." he snarled while planting his fork in his pancake and putting it in his mouth without cutting it.

"Wow" said Matthias "maybe it's for your big mouth."
Nikolai glared at him sideways still chewing.

Taemin though about it "Now that i think about it Karl said something like that when i called you for the first time in the garden" he looked at the kitchen "Karl ? are you there ?"

Silence.

Taemin gulped loudly. "Karl ? Jaeshin ?"

Still no answer.
"What's happening " whispered Matthias like scared.
"I don't know" answered Taemin still looking around the house "since we went at the chocolate shop i have no news from them."

Nikolai snorted "Well they are not excited to tell you."
Taemin looked at him frowning "Tell me what ?"

Suddently Karl appeared grabbing Jaeshin "Hey, guys."
Taemin sighed loudly relieved "God Karl, what's happening why Jaeshin and you disappeared like that ?"

"Well.." Karl looked briefly at Jaeshin who was looking at the floor. It was clear that he didn't want to be here.
"Will you tell me what's going on ?" if there was something Taemin hated, it was secrets. Duh he was well placed to say that.
Karl shaked Jaeshin's arm "Tell him."
"Why ?"
Karl's eyes widened "What do you mean why he need to know !"

Jaeshin shook his arm free of his grasp "It concern only me ok !"
"It's his soul mate."

Silence.
Taemin looked toward Nikolai who was eating Taemin's pancake.

"Wha.."
Nikolai cut out with his mouth full "That wolf bastard, the one who though i was an easy prey at the metro" he pointed at Jaeshin "well it's his mate."
Taemin curled his lips looking at his pancake disappearing "Bastard."
Matthias put another pancake in Taemin's plate " A soul mate ? it exist ?" 

Nikolai nodded "Each surnatural species can have a mate, but it's rare. Jashikun has a wolf as mate. Well thanks God you are dead or you should have had to deal with that furry guy."
He was going to snatch Taemin pancake again when Taemin slapped his hand, with a yelp Nikolai glared at him.

Taemin looked at Jaeshin " And what happen when two ..soul mate find each other ?"
Nikolai continued "Simply ? Well attraction. Smell ,voice ,body everything the other person do make you want to them."
Matthias' s eyes widened "And how do you know ?"
"Because i know." spatted Nikolai.

Taemin shook his head "And if they can't be together ?"

"Well if they want to deny the attraction they will go..crazy ? i don't know how to explain it, it's a weird feeling like if you don't mate with this person your life doesn't mean anything. It's like this person is a part of yourself and if you don't have him.." Nikolai breathed loudly like trying to be calm "little by little you feel like everything doesn't matter. And it's even worse if you mated him but he didnt."
They all looked at Nikolai who the eyes were suspiciously wet looking at his empty plate.
Becoming uneasy, Taemin took his pancake and gave it to Nikolai. Nikolai looked at it then at Taemin surprised. He finally smiled and Taemin smiled back.

He had a idea of what was sadening Nikolai, well since the day they meet eatch other he knew something inside him wasn't ok now he knew why. His soul mate did him wrong.

His commentary about mates makes more sens now.
"So.." Taemin looked at Jaeshin who was silent until now "you will go..kind of crazy ?"
Jaeshin looked at him and smiled "No" he shaked his head "I'm dead remember ? i'm just a part of what i was when i was alive."
They all looked at him. Jaeshin smiled again, but his lips trembled "I'm okay. Really, i'm good." 
Then he immediatly burst into tears. Karl sighed before taking him in his arms.

Nikolai sighed but his voice sounded weird "An advice Taemin: if you find your soul mate, go to the opposite direction."
Taemin answered quietly " Well if i meet him and i go away it will change nothing."
"..You're right. No chance of saving ourself, Fate is such a head." he sniffed loudly.

Matthias looked at all of them hesistantly, the poor guy didn't know what was happening.
Taemin tried to change the subject looking at the tears falling in the floor wet "I.. didn't know spirits could cry." 

A gasp beside him made him look.
Nikolai was completely white. Cool what did he say bad now ?

"Nikolai are you alright ?"
"Holy hell."
That made the spirits look at him.
"Nikolai ?" asked Taemin again "You scare me."

"Jashikun." said Nikolai.
Jaeshin frowned wiping his face "It's Jaeshin, what ?"
"How do you feel about being alive again ?++

"What are you doing ?"

Taemin watched Nikolai inspecting the walls's house.
"The book should be somewhere in the house but where..."

In that moment Jaeshin was out of a wall with Karl and went toward them "I looked already, there isn't a book here."
Taemin looked at Nikolai eyes big "Are you telling me you don't know where you put your own book ?!"

Nikolai looked back at him snarling "It's like i have a child of 5 years old, you can't always know what he's doing ! it's been 3 Century" he took an axe from near the fireplace "but i will find it and i will keep it." then he frowned "Why do i feel like i quoted something."

Silence.

Taemin looked at Nikolai inspecting the house.
"Are you telling me that the book is alive ?"

Nikolai stopped looking under a hole where a mouse squeaked after seeing him "Something like that. He doesn't..have a soul but he's intelligent. ."

Taemin put his hands in his head "I can't believe it, so we will never find it ! God know where he is !"
"Hey."

At Nikolai ton of voice Taemin looked at him and Jaeshin beside him. Looking devastated.
. What should he say now "Hm..."

Nikolai didn't let him finish"The book is linked to me so he couldn't leave the house.The Fairies who helped me sealed him somewhere inside here."

"Can't you..call him ?" asked Karl.
"Yeah but he never loved me so i doubt he will answer me. He always did the opposite of what i asked making me look like a fool, do you know how some of my ennemies called me because of that ?! that i've given him life thanks at my blood changed nothing" he sighed looking at no one "im Nikolai Deucius, i don't care for that stupid book."
He was going to drop the axe when Taemin's voice stopped him.

"Jaeshin, why are your feet glowing ?" 
"What the hell ?" whispered Nikolai turning back toward it.

Nikolai looked at Jaeshin's feet frowning then his eyes widened realizing it was the floor under him that glowered "IGNIIIISSS !"

He ran toward the golden light raising the axe, making Jaeshin scream.
"OUT OF MY WAY !"
Jaeshin jumped to the left trying to grip the sofa but instead passed throught it. At the same time Nikolai smashed the floor make of woods.

Taemin swore "My floor !"
"He's gone crazy !" shrieked Jaeshin.

Taemin and Karl looked at each other thinking the same thing without even talking: Jaeshin being a ghost scared of an axe wasn't so different from Nikolai's burst.

After demolishing the floor, Nikolai took something heavy in his hands and did what Taemin called a psychotic laugh.
"Ignis ."
Taemin looked by Nikolai's shoulders and gasped at the book.

It was at least 30 centimeters of long and some weird cristals were attached to it. It had stopped glowing and now that he could look at it without being blind -well not more that he was already- he could see that the book suffered from 300 years without being cared for.

The corners of the book looked fragile, almost like something nibbled it, more details about the book was impossible thanks to the dust completely covering it. What surprised Taemin the most was theses black thick rows of thorns that were around the book like he was ..forbidden ?

"Is it the book ?" asked Jaeshin going near it to take a look.
"Yeah.." answered Nikolai without stopping looking at the book, confused. "Why does he have thoses thorns around him.. it reeks of magic. Ignis did you do something to the Fairies who brought us here for being spelled like this ? "

The book suddently pounced toward Nikolai hitting his nose with his cover, making Jaeshin scream and Taemin jump.
The book fell again in Nikolai's hands but this time looking like he was tired, out of breath. It was so weird.

Nikolai ignored his nose bleeding. he passed a hand through the thorns carefully like scared to hurt it because obviously it had dammaged badly the book when he moved to much.

"They didnt have the right to do that to you Ignis no matter what you did" whispered Nikolai, his voice wavering "i'm so sorry for all theses years you passed hurting. I'm so sorry." He touched the thorns and they instantly disappeared making some sort of noise - almost like a scream.

The book still didnt move. Many holes endommaged the beautiful cover made of gold. Taemin felt very bad knowing the book was under his feet suffering since he first arrived in the house.

"Is the book...still working ?" asked Karl dubious.
"Yeah" answered Nikolai putting the book agaisnt him like it was a child and going toward the stairs "we should find somewhere quiet for the ritual.."

Someone banging the door stopped them in their tracks.
It was the Alpha with his two Betas.  ++

The song of the bell echoed in the house, the habitant all silent.

Karl looked at Jaeshin in wonder so Jaeshin shrugged and looked at Taemin for an answear. Taemin shook his head confused and looked at Nikolai who accorded him a side glance before frowning looking at Ignis then the door .

"I didn't call them." said Nikolai " or maybe they are here for the tea i promised in the station if they came here ?" he hesited "should i prepare Tea ?"

The door ran again at the same time that someone knocked on the windows making them jump.

"Excuse me please" said the sheriff Taemin recognized as the one he meet the day after he arrived in the city in the other side of the windows "can you please open ? we are in...well we have some kind of problems, and maybe you could help us."

Silence.

Taemin and Nikolai looked at each other without expression before Taemin nodded toward the sheriff.

"I'm coming."

The sheriff looked confused but went back at the door. Taemin was going to open it when Nikolai grabbed his arm.

"You are going to open ? really ?"

"They can hear you !"

"No they can't, i put ward around the house. Do you really want theses wolves to come inside ?"

"Why not ?"

Nikolai studied him before shaking his head "..I forgot you don't feel sick when they are near you like the others sorcerer..ok. Open the door." he turned to Karl and Jaeshin "Wait for us in Taemin's bedroom, we don't need to make them uneasy with your presence...yet."

Jaeshin looked ..shy ? "My mate is here." he took a glance at the door.

Nikolai nodded "I know i felt him..why in the hell did they come with him like that ."

Like that ? asked Taemin to himself.

"Well he will have a good surprise when he will see you." said Nikolai at Jaeshin looking smug.
Taemin frowned "How could he.." his eyes widened "you want to perform the ritual of making him human with them inside the house ?!"

They knocked at the door again.
Nikolai nodded "Yeah it will be done fast, now let them in before they break the door."++

Opening the door, Taemin though he expected everything to happen. 
Except for the wolf who was beside the sheriff and the three others men.

The sheriff scratched his neck "Excuse us for coming without calling but..we have a problem as you can see. Can we come inside ?"

Taemin blinked "Of..of course." Taemin pushed himselt from the entry letting the brown wolf - doing low guttural sound of hostility- enter followed by the sheriff when a solemn voice startled him.
"Enough."

The wolf went instantly silent at man's voice behind Taemin still at the entry. Taemin recognized the voice but still looked behind him taking a deep breath..

And met the gaze of the most handsome man he had ever seen.

And met the gaze of the most handsome man he had ever seen

The Alpha and he mayor of the town. Kai Elesung.