26: Strong Heart

Fallin' For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: It's probably just a coincidence but my shift became toxic ever since I decided to be in a short hiatus. So I'm cancelling the plan. However, I'll only update when I'm free okay?

 

Jessie Jung had just successfully ended his first year of internship in one of New York's famous hospitals. He was happy for being able to survive his one year of hospital exposure after graduation. But this happiness was cut short when his supervisor told him something regarding his next training period.

"Is it really necessary, sir? Do I really need to be part of the team that will be sent in Seoul?" After contemplating on it for a day, Jessie clarified the matter with his superior just in case he just misheard the announcement. But unfortunately for him, the supervisor's nod was enough answer to his query. "Why me? I'm only an intern, sir. Why can't it be someone else?"

"You are one of the best interns in this hospital, Jessie. Remember that this project is not only for improving the global healthcare link. We are also promoting this institution to the Asian people who are in need of advanced medical care. Therefore it is a must for us to send the best team. And you, though an intern, is one of the best we have. Besides, working in Seoul Gen for a year means being with your wife again. You'll improve more because you'll be working in the same place as her." The superior is a friendly man. He often adds teasing when he's talking to his trainees about serious matters. But his teasing was something that made Jessie more unhappy with the unforseen event in his life as an intern.

"We're divorced, Dr. Merck. It's been three months since we dissolved our marriage."

Dr. Merck's mouth formed into an 'O'. He mentally cursed himself for forgetting about Jessie's relationship status. "Pardon me for forgetting about it. And I'm sorry for bringing it up, son. If that's the case then use this training experience as an opportunity to find a new romance in Seoul. You'll get old fast if you don't have someone to rely on. But of course, always remember not to let romance ruin your focus on your responsibilities as a doctor. Goodluck Mr. Jung. I know that you're capable of making all of us proud of you." The superior patted Jessie's shoulder and smiled reassuringly before leaving him alone at the conference room.

It's been five months since the family court in Seoul confirmed the divorce of Yoona and Jessie. Within this period the young man lived feeling empty though he still have Jaekyung in his life. He knows that this emptiness is because of the emotional, social and physical distance he has with his sister. Because since that day that she called him, Jessica rarely gave him another call and often dismissed any interaction with him. But what he doesn't understand is that everytime he looks at one corner of his apartment, it is the image of Yoona that he sees. Jessie refused to believe that this is because he's missing her. Because how could he when he had the guts to cheat on her and knows that he doesn't love her like how much he loves Jaekyung. But the more he refused to believe this, the more he ended up thinking about her. This happens even when his girlfriend comes for a visit.

On the other hand, five months to Yoona means five months of secretly meeting her girlfriend; five months of talking to her on the phone in a place where no one, not even her friends, will hear their conversation; and then five months of missing Jessica again and again. Sometimes the people who are envious of her achievements as an intern spread rumors about her. They often say that the reason why Yoona and Jessie dissolved their marriage is because she's not capable of conceiving. There are also some who thinks that it's Jessie who should be blamed on why their marriage didn't work. But in most cases, they're putting the blame to Yoona.

"You really don't know how to leave her alone huh?" says the annoyed Kim Bum when he caught another group of interns talking about his friend. She's alone in one corner and playing deaf while reviewing the case of her new patient. As Yoona's closest friend in the hospital, it was always Kim Sang Bum who has the courage to defend the doe-eyed doctor. "Why don't you try improving your performances instead of gossiping about someone else's life? If I were you, I'd better do that so that I won't be left out and die in jealousy because of others' achievements." Kim Bum sneered and left to distract his friend. "Hye Sun's opening a new branch of her coffee shop this Sunday. Are you going to be there for the party?"

Yoona stopped what she's reading to focus her attention to her friend. "She'll kill me with her rant if I will not be able to join the celebration. Of course I will be there but I might arrive late. How's your relationship with her, by the way? Any progress that I do not know of? Is she finally your girlfriend?"

"Nah. Not yet. But I feel like we're almost there." Kim Bum knows that deep inside Yoona's affected by their colleagues' judgments. Therefore he gave her another advice. "Hey. Don't get affected with what the others are saying okay? Yours was a fixed marriage. There are chances of it not working for man

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter