23: Acceptance

Fallin' For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before the time that Jessica Jung fell in love with Im Yoona, the first person she calls whenever she's troubled with something is her brother. No matter what the problem is, be it big or small or too girly for a man like Jessie to handle, it was always him whom Jessica called for an advise. However, things have now changed between them. Their once strong bond has been broken because of a union planned by their parents that became complicated in the end. And further compromising their sibling relationship was the revelation that, at one point in his life as a teenager, Jessie Jung loved Jessica more than just a sister.

"I'm glad that you finally came out of your room Jessica," Mrs. Shin said, sighing in relief when her granddaughter joined her at the dining room twenty hours after she shut herself to the world. The old woman doesn't know what transpired in the last conversation of the twins. All that she can assume is that they argued again because of one person. She wanted to clarify things with her grandchild. But Jessica's silence while slowly eating her breakfast was enough cue for Mrs. Shin to avoid discussing about what's bothering her grandchild. "Are you going to work today?" she asked hoping that a change in the subject will make Jessica talk to her. And it really did.

"I'd like to take a short break but I got loads of photos to edit, grandma. I might come home late tonight. As much as possible, I want to finish everything today so that I can focus on other matters."

"Okay. But don't stress yourself too much okay? And please don't skip meals again. I don't want you to get sick, Jessica. I'd be very much worried if that happens."

Jessica rose from her seat to give her grandmother a hug and a kiss on her temple. "I'm sorry for making you worried grandma. Please don't think about me so much. I'm a matured woman now. I'm strong enough to handle the situations that I'm facing right now."

Mrs. Shin nodded in approval. But at the back of her mind, she can't help but worry about where Jessica's fight for happiness will lead her. If possible, she wants her to love someone new. She likes Yoona for her grandchildren. But she's worried of the criticisms Jessica will receive for loving her brother's ex-wife.

"What are you doing Sunny? Why do you keep staring at me like that?" Jessica asked because Sunny's been standing at the doorway for fifteen minutes doing nothing but to observe her friend who's purposely immersing herself at work-related matters.

"I'm just waiting for you to notice the time, Jung. It's lunchbreak yet you don't seem to care if your stomach is already growling or not," Sunny explained nonchalantly. "Your grandmother called a while ago to ask me if you already had your lunch. As a good friend, I lied by saying that we've just finished eating the food she packed for the two of us. Come on Jess. Just finish that later. I'm hungry but I don't want to eat while you're stuck here in your office doing nothing but work."

Since she doesn't want her grandmother to keep worrying about her, Jessica paused what she's doing and ate her lunch despite not having an appetite. She's still thinking about what her brother told her. She wants to erase it on her mind so she kept herself busy. However, it continued bugging her until the end of the day. Thankfully, there is someone who can make her feel at ease. And that person is no other than Im Yoona.

While Jessica was alone in the old room she shared with her brother when they were kids, the doe-eyed girl gave Jessica her much awaited phonecall. "The court released the confirmation yesterday, Jess. I'm now a divorced woman. I'm officially free to be with you," Yoona announced happily. "How are you? I'm sorry if I wasn't able to call you sooner. I have a very busy day at work and today was actually even busier." When Jessica said nothing, Yoona feared that her lover might be upset. "Why are you not saying anything? Are you angry with me Jess? If you are, I sincerely apologize. I'll make it up to you when we meet again."

Yoona paused for a long time and patiently waited for Jessica to speak to her. This urged the latter to say something at last. "Just keep talking Yoongie," she said in that sweet voice the doe-eyed girl wanted to hear. The one month that they were prohibited to contact each other was like a century of waiting.

"You're not angry with me?"

"I'm not. I understand your reasons so there is no need for you to worry about me being upset. I just want to hear your voice a little more so please keep talking to me." Though they're miles away, Jessica can see the smile she managed to draw on Yoona's face because of what she said.

"What do you want me to talk about? There's nothing new in my life except that now I am free to love you. My experiences in the hospital are not exciting to share either. If I'll do talk about it, I'm afraid I might end up using medical jargons that will confuse you instead of making you smile."

Because of Yoona, Jessica was able to laugh again which echoed outside the room. Mrs. Shin heard it and t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter