The Beginning of a Hero

Overwatch

All heroes start from somewhere. For some of Overwatch, that beginning was their first mercenary job which they took for the sake of their family. For other members, their beginning was a lab accident, a experiment that had gone wrong. Other members’ beginnings started when they witnessed the original Overwatch members doing what they did best.

This last beginning was not reserved for just Overwatch members.

This was also part of BTS and Pristin’s origins.

“Keep going,” Namjoon yelled, pushing Nayoung with one hand and tightening his grip on Kyla with the other, “don’t stop for anything.”

“Crap,” Seokjin hissed, trailing behind them slightly because he was holding both Jimin and Jong Kook.

The group of orphaned children had been out looking for food when they heard the start of a fight breaking out a few streets over. They hadn’t reacted much at first, far too desensitized to stuff like that, but as the sounds of fighting got closer and louder the children started to leave the area. Unfortunately, they hadn’t started moving quickly enough and were now trying to find their way out of the battle field.

“Ah!” Nayoung cried, tripping over a pipe lying on the ground. She put her arms out to catch her and quickly regretted the act when she felt pain shoot up her arms.

“Can you still run?” Namjoon questioned, helping her to her feet, “do you need me to carry you?”

“I-I don’t know,” Nayoung whimpered, trying to fight back tears as she looked down at her sore and bloody hands.

“I’ll carry you,” Seokjin said, passing the crying Jong Kook to Namjoon, “come on.”

Before Nayoung could move, someone appeared in front of the children, drawing panicked screams from all of them.

Namjoon quickly pushed everyone behind him, regretting taking three of the youngest with him that morning. He hated how he’d given into Kyla, Jong Kook and Jimin’s pleas so easily. he should have told them to stay with the others and stuck to that. But he hadn’t and now they were going to die for his mistake.

“You kids shouldn’t be here,” the man who had appeared frowned slightly, “what are you doing outside? There have been warnings all week for people to stay indoors.”

“I-I,” Namjoon tried to say something, anything, but he couldn’t seem to string words together.

“Are you hurt?” the man asked, noticing Nayoung’s bloody hands and skinned knees, “, you are.” He tapped something in his ear, “Mercy? I’ve got a couple kids here in need of some assistance.”

Namjoon couldn’t hear the response, but the name Mercy rang a bell with his memory. It was only then that he took a real, hard look at the man and realized that he was wearing an Overwatch uniform.

And he knew exactly who’s uniform it was.

“You’re Kihyun,” he breathed, eyes wide with excitement and hope, “you’re Overwatch.”

“I am,” Kihyun smiled kindly at the group of children, “why don’t we get you kids someplace safe, alright?”

Kihyun offered his hand and Namjoon took it without hesitation.

Later, after Overwathch’s medical team had patched the kids up, Namjoon was put before N. The leader was kind and caring with him, drawing out answers to his questions with more compassion then Namjoon thought possible. N didn’t make him feel ashamed of his orphan or homeless status. N didn’t make him feel like a charity case when he offered to set Namjoon and his friends up someplace nice and safe. No, N made him feel special, like he mattered. Like N really cared about him.

A few days later, Namjoon and his friends were in a nice foster home. They were safe, never to go hungry or cold again. It was then that they all promised to becomes heroes like Overwatch’s members.

A/N: the idea for this just popped into my head when I was trying to think of something to do for this chapter and I liked it so much I had to do it. I hope you all like it, too!