A Doctor and A Pilot

Overwatch

“,” Sanghyuk cursed, pressing the cloth against his sliced hand, “I’m such an idiot.”

“Well,” another voice said, “I don’t think talking to yourself counts as ‘idiot’ criteria. It’s more ‘crazy person’ criteria.” Sanghyuk turned to find a man around his age entering the room. If he remembered right, the guy was called Hongbin and he was some kind of doctor.

“It’s only crazy if you expect something to talk back,” Sanghyuk countered, “and that’s not what I felt was stupid. I was talking about cutting my hand.”

“Ouch,” Hongbin winced, “that’s a nasty cut. What happened?”

“I was fooling around with some of the armor they gave me,” Sanghyuk said, “I wanted to, like, make it fit a little nicer. I probably should have just asked Wonsik. He’s more of a….building things kind of person.”

“And you aren’t?” Hongbin asked.

“Nah,” Sanghyuk laughed, “I’m more of a fly boy.”

“Oh!” Hongbin’s eyes widened, a clear sign that he’d finally figured out who Sanghyuk was, “you’re that time distortion guy.”

“Yeah,” Sanghyuk nodded slowly, carefully watching Hongbin’s reaction.

Since the whole lab accident that gave him his powers, Sanghyuk had come to discover that not everyone was…….accepting of him. Some people reacted with fear when they found out what he could do. Others disgust. A very seldom few took the news of his powers well. Like his family for example. His mom was cool with it after he’d explained things, but his sister? She thought he was a no good freak. His father had been scared off him and banned Sanghyuk from going anywhere near him. He was more than happy to comply with that since the older man had already ditched Sanghyuk, his sister, and his mother years prior.

Sanghyuk had thought Overwatch would be different. After all, he’d been promised that he and Wonsik wouldn’t be the only freaks. And they weren’t. There was one guy who could turn into, like, dust or something. Sanghyuk didn’t get it and Wonsik didn’t understand it either, but the point was that this guy was like them. And there were robots running around too, but they didn’t count as freaks in Sanghyuk’s book.

Anyway, the point was that even within Overwatch, Sanghyuk was still getting the same reactions of fear and disgust from several members.

“That’s cool,” Hongbin grinned, pulling Sanghyuk from his thoughts.

“Really?” Sanghyuk blinked.

“Yep,” Hongbin nodded, “I mean, going off what I read about you, it seems cool. The files didn’t go into all that much detail, though, so…..”

“You have questions,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, “and I’m the only one with answers.”

“Exactly,” Hongbin nodded, “if that’s alright with you I mean. I don’t want to, like, pressure you into anything. If you don’t want to talk about it, that’s alright.”

“I’m good with answering a few questions,” Sanghyuk assured the doctor, “I like helping people understand my abilities. Helps them not be afraid.”

“Afraid?” Hongbin scoffed, “what’s there to be afraid of? You create temporary time distortions that really only effect you or, like, whatever you’re holding onto. That’s hardly terrifying.”

“You’d be surprised what people find scary,” Sanghyuk shrugged.

“People are stupid.”

“Agreed.”

“So,” Hongbin laughed, “how about this? I fix up your hand, we go get lunch off base, and I’ll pick your brain a little about your power. Sound good?”

“Sounds great,” Sanghyuk nodded.

A/N: and thus, the friendship of Hongbin and Sanghyuk was formed.