Extra #5 Broken But Mending

Overwatch

Hakyeon wasn’t sure how he felt about Sanghyuk’s arrival at the new Overwatch base. Everyone else seemed perfectly happy to see the time manipulator. The fact that he’d come with new friends, new family members, just seemed to make everyone happier. Hakyeon however……..well. On the one hand, he was thrilled to have another member of his family home safe, especially when that member was someone he loved as much as he loved Sanghyuk. On the other hand……..

He’d left Sanghyuk.

It had been a couple years after the original Overwatch ended and he’s started his late-night crime fighting. Hakyeon had seen how tried Sanghyuk was, how drained the constant worry made him, and the former leader got what was probably his worst idea ever. And to be honest that was kind of saying something. One night, he took some of his stuff, left a note, and just……didn’t come back home in the morning.

He’d left town, gone to chase some leads that turned up nothing. After a couple of months he’d returned, realizing that he’d made a very foolish choice. He honestly didn’t know what he’d expected to find, but a new couple living in their house and Sanghyuk long gone……..he probably should have expected that. Of course Sanghyuk would have left, done with all of Hakyeon’s . If Hakyeon wanted his husband so badly, then maybe he should have stuck around and not been such an .

He didn’t try to find Sanghyuk, deciding that his love would be better off without him messing everything up like always. He knew it was stupid, that he should have chased down his husband and apologized for being a moron, the others didn’t need to tell him when they found out why Sanghyuk hadn’t shown up with him. He hated himself enough, he didn’t need everyone else on his case making it worse.

He felt even worse with Sanghyuk showed up with a mercenary group called Infinite, one of the group proudly claiming to be Sanghyuk’s boyfriend.

“Did you expect him to wait around forever?” Wonho had asked first chance he got, “because then you’re even more of an then I thought.”

“No, I didn’t,” Hakyeon sighed sadly, “but I just…….I don’t know.”

“You need to talk to him,” Taekwoon advised, “if you’re ever going to move on, then you need to talk about what happened.”

“If not for your own sake, then for Sanghyuk’s,” Wonsik nodded in agreement.

So Hakyeon did as told and tried to get Sanghyuk alone so that they could talk. This was much easier said than done. It seemed like Sanghyuk was determined not to be alone with him, or even around him, and he had at least seven people who were happy to help make his wishes come true. The amount of times that L or Sungjong just……popped into existence in order to keep Hakyeon away from his husband was more than a little enraging.

Eventually Hakyeon got desperate and resorted to more drastic methods.

“Oh my god!” Sanghyuk yelled, jumping when he the light to find Hakyeon sitting on his bed, “what the hell are you doing?”

“I just want to talk,” Hakyeon said, “that’s all.”

“And you can’t do that like a normal person because?” Sanghyuk raised an eyebrow, “but then again, you also can’t end a relationship like a normal person, so why should you do anything normally.”

“I deserve that,” Hakyeon said, “and that’s exactly what we need to talk about.”

“Then talk,” Sanghyuk sighed, his whole body sagging with how emotionally drained this topic left him, “just……why? That’s honestly all I want to know. Why did you leave? Why did you leave the way you did? What……what did I do wrong?”

“You didn’t do anything!” Hakyeon insisted, “You were perfect and supportive and wonderful! I’m the problem.” He sighed, “I…..I always the problem. What I was doing……..I let it blind me to everything else. And when I did notice something else, when I realized how I was effecting you, I just……..I don’t know. I decided that I needed to leave, that I couldn’t hurt you but I also couldn’t stop. And by the time I realized that I want you more than anything…….”

“I was gone, right?” Sanghyuk sighed, “Why didn’t you try to find me?”

“After how I’d already ed it up?” Hakyeon replied, “I decided that you would be better off without me.”

“You…..are you kidding me?” Sanghyuk snapped, “oh my god, you….you moron!”

“I know,” Hakyeon sighed.

“I mean, really?” Sanghyuk yelled, “You thought I was better off? I loved you, you ing moron! You were my whole world! Why would I be better off without you? Yeah, what you were doing upset me, but I understood why you were doing it. I was fine so long as you came back to me. If I wasn’t alright, do you think I would have stuck around? That I would have bottled up my feelings until they exploded into some stupid, foolish act.” Like you.

“I know, alright,” Hakyeon said, “I know that I messed up.”

“Why are you here, Hakyeon?” Sanghyuk said after a long moment of silence, “what…..what do you want from this? I’m with Hoya now. I love him, I’m not going to just…….go back to you like nothing ever happened. Like I didn’t fall out of love with you and into love with him.”

“I don’t expect you to come back,” Hakyeon insisted, “I know you’ve moved on. I just……I wanted closure I guess. For both of us.”

The pair fell silent after that, neither sure what to say now. Eventually Hakyeon left Sanghyuk alone, returning to his own room to think. The pair would never return to the close friendship they had shared before they started dating, but their interactions were warmer than they had been during the first couple of days of Overwatch’s reformation. When Hakyeon’s living status was revealed to the world, the pair filed for divorce and a few years later Sanghyuk and Hoya married. Hakyeon was sure that a part of him would always love Sanghyuk, but in time he moved on as well.

A/N: oh, the blasphemy. Breaking up the Chasang couple and the ……whatever ship name could exist for Ken and Hoya. Honestly, the idea for this popped into my head and I just had to do it.