A Fan

Overwatch

Jaehwan sighed as he watched the video playing on his laptop. He still remembered the feelings he had when he first saw it, how proud he had been of his cousin and the wonderful mix of emotions when he’d first seen Flashback.

Flashback just looked so……amazing.

He was so cool and collected, even in the face of being in front of millions of people. Well, more like thousands, but with all the reporters there the image of Flashback on the stage would be seen by millions all over the world. And yet Flashback looked so confident about it. Jaehwan knew that if it was him, he’d have himself in fear.

And then there was the fact that Flashback was so very handsome. Jaehwan didn’t need to scroll down to the comments where young men and women were fawning over him to know that. Flashback was so very attractive and exactly Jaehwan’s type.

Jaehwan was pulled from his thoughts by his phone ringing.

“Hello,” Jaehwan smiled, “Jaehwan’s phone, how may I help you?”

“Hey,” Hongbin replied, “it’s me. What are you up to?”

“Just watching the ceremony,” Jaehwan admitted, “again. I’m so proud of you.”

“I know,” Hongbin laughed, “I’m proud of all of us. We did exactly what we set out to do, bring an end to the crisis.”

“I know,” Jaehwan nodded, “Overwatch has made it safe to go out. To go anywhere.” Jaehwan smiled softly, “I don’t think I’ve told you thank you for that yet.”

“Not many people have,” Hongbin admitted, “most just go on about how we’ve done this great service to the world and what not. I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve heard just a simple ‘thank you.’ I mean, that’s not why I joined or anything. I joined in hopes of saving lives, but…….just a small ‘thank you’ would mean a lot more then this…….this hero worship they’re doing right now.”

“I get that,” Jaehwan nodded.

He remembered the day Hongbin had called him with the news of his enlistment in Overwatch. Jaehwan didn’t understand it at first, but then he started to watch the news footage of what his cousin and the rest of Overwatch was doing. They were all so amazing, so heroic. And that was when Jaehwan started wishing that he wasn’t so young. He wanted to be old enough to join, too. To help them bring peace to the world.

“Still thinking of joining?” Hongbin asked.

“Yeah,” Jaehwan nodded happily, “as soon as I’m old enough, I’m joining Overwatch.”

“Then I hope you’re working hard,” Hongbin told him, “because we only accept the best and brightest.”

“I am,” Jaehwan promised, “I will.” He paused before asking a question he’d been dying to ask for days, “Hey…….can you…..tell me Flashback’s name?”

“Flashback’s name?” Hongbin questioned, “Why would you want to know his name?”

“He’s really cool,” Jaehwan gushed, “next to you, he’s my favorite Overwatch member.”

“His name is Sanghyuk,” Hongbin said after a moment, “but don’t tell anyone, alright?”

“I know,” Jaehwan nodded, “you all have to hide your real names in order to protect your families.” Jaehwan sighed, “But your faces are out there already. It’s not that hard to track anyone down.”

“Who says that those are our real faces?” Hongbin laughed, “We’ve got the best scientists making our tech, who’s to say they didn’t make something to change our faces?”

“But,” Jaehwan frowned, “that was your face in the ceremony.”

“You know that,” Hongbin told him, “but any bad guys out there don’t.” Someone on Hongbin’s end of the phone said something and Hongbin let out a sigh, “I’ve gotta run. I’ll call back another day. Give your parents my love, alright?”

And with that the phone call ended and Jaehwan was left with a bad feeling in his guts. He quickly pulled up images of Fla- Sanghyuk’s face. Looking at them carefully, Sanghyuk’s face looked different sometimes. In one photo taken after a mission, his eyes look bigger and his lips smaller. In photo’s from the ceremony, his eyes and lips were more average size but his nose was a bit on the big side. It crushed Jaehwan to think that he didn’t know Sanghyuk’s real face.

……but when he joined Overwatch…….he’d learn.

With new determination, Jaehwan turned off the computer and got to work studying.

One day, he’d meet his hero. And he’d tell Sanghyuk ‘thank you for everything.’

A/N: I wasn’t sure what to do for this one, then the idea for this popped into my head.