Night Work

Overwatch

Sanghyuk sat at the kitchen table, sipping his coffee and trying to stay awake. It was early in the morning and he knew he should be in bed, but he had to keep waiting. He’d been noticing odd things about his husband the past few months and he wanted answers. He needed answers. He just……he wanted to know if his worst fears had come true or not.

The first oddity he’d noticed was Hakyeon’s office being locked. His husband had never locked it before, but Sanghyuk decided to let it slide. Hakyeon had become a much more closed off person since Overwatch disbanded two years prior, he decided that the locked door was just an extension of that. So long as Hakyeon didn’t completely shut him out, he’d ignore the hurt he felt.

The next oddity was finding Hakyeon’s old uniform. The outfit that Hakyeon had wore on missions was supposed to be in a box in their attic right beside the box holding Sanghyuk’s uniform and armor. It was not supposed to be hanging at the back of their closet, hidden away behind all of their other cloths. Sanghyuk let that one slip too. He knew that Hakyeon struggled to live his life without Overwatch, if having his uniform in the closet made him feel better then Sanghyuk was fine with it.

Next came bandages missing from their first aid kit. It happened a couple of times before Sanghyuk finally started looking into what was going on. He found the missing bandages hidden at the bottom of the garbage pail under the sink. They were covered in dried blood and Sanghyuk was at a loss on how to explain them. So he started watching Hakyeon closely, looking for wounds that would explain the used medical supplies. He must not have been as sneaky as he thought he was about it because Hakyeon noticed. He never let Sanghyuk see him injured in anyway and the used bandages stopped appearing.

The final straw came when Sanghyuk woke up in the middle of the night to find Hakyeon missing. The first time it happened, he figured that Hakyeon had just gotten up to use the bathroom or get a glass of water. But then Sanghyuk woke up the next time with the feeling that something was wrong. Hakyeon was missing again and this time Sanghyuk checked the whole house looking for his husband. He found no one else in the house.

After that, Sanghyuk started really taking note of Hakyeon’s behavior and now he was ready to confront him.

“Welcome home,” Sanghyuk called as he heard someone entering the kitchen.

“S-Sanghyuk?” Hakyeon stuttered, quickly flicking on a light, “wh-what are you doing up?” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes at Hakyeon’s attempt to sound stern.

“I know what’s going on, Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk hissed, “but I want to hear it from you.”

“Nothing’s going on,” Hakyeon snapped right on back, “go back to bed.”

“You’re playing vigilante,” Sanghyuk scoffed, “you’re going out each night and catching criminals. You’re the one the news has been talking about the past month or so.”

“Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon sighed weakly, knowing that the game was over and clearly thinking that Sanghyuk was going to tell him to stop.

“Why didn’t you tell me, Yeonnie?” Sanghyuk asked, “I could have helped.”

“No,” Hakyeon scowled, “it’s too dangerous.”

“Taking out some low level thugs is too dangerous?” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes, “do you remember who you’re talking do? I’m Cha-Han Sanghyuk, also known as Flashback.”

“You were known as Flashback,” Hakyeon sighed sadly, “now you’re just Cha-Han Sanghyuk, also known as the local car repair man.”

“And what?” Sanghyuk growled, more than a little displeased to hear Hakyeon say that, “you’re not Cha-Han Hakyeon, also known as the local baker?”

“It’s different,” Hakyeon tried to argue.

“No, it’s not. It’s really not.”

“I’m not just…..I’m not just taking down common thugs,” Hakyeon admitted, “That’s just a cover for what I’m really doing…….what I’m doing……..you need to…….I should have told you………you need to read my research.”

“This is connected to the bomb, isn’t it?” Sanghyuk frowned, knowing that Hakyeon would never really let that horrible incident go, “Hakyeon, what have you found?”

“We always thought it was, like, a mail bomb or something,” Hakyeon replied, moving to sit down beside Sanghyuk who immediately started tracing the scars that ran across Hakyeon’s face, “but from what I’ve found……that bomb…..the person who put it there……oh Sanghyuk, this is so much bigger then you realize.”

“Then tell me,” Sanghyuk said, pressing a kiss to his husband’s forehead, “explain it to me.”

And so Hakyeon told Sanghyuk everything he’d found out over his two years or searching. He told Sanghyuk that the people who sullied Overwatch’s good name were also responsible for the bomb. That these people wanted Overwatch gone so they could do something. Hakyeon admitted that he wasn’t completely sure what they wanted, but it had something to do with a recent attack on a peace march.

“That march,” Sanghyuk frowned, “it was about equality between humans and robots, right?”

“Yeah,” Hakyeon nodded, “but I don’t know exactly what the goal was. All it seemed to do was endear more people to the cause.”

“Then we’re just going to have to keep watching,” Sanghyuk shrugged.

“No, not ‘we’, Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon scowled, “just me. I’m not letting you get caught up in this.”

“News flash, Yeonnie,” Sanghyuk smirked, “so long as we’re married, I’m caught up in whatever you’re caught up in.”

“I don’t want to see you hurt,” Hakyeon said, glaring at the table, “and with your powers…….people would catch on fast to who you are. They’d find us.”

“You’re right,” Sanghyuk nodded, “but I can still help. I can treat your wounds, I can help with your search. Just…….I want to help. I don’t want you to shut me out like you’ve been doing.” Sanghyuk wrapped his arms tightly around Hakyeon, “it hurts when you shut me out.”

“I’m so sorry, baby,” Hakyeon replied, wrapping his arms around Sanghyuk  and hugging just as tight, “I promise I won’t shut you out again. And you can help. Just so long as you don’t follow me out into the night.”

“I promise to wait here for you,” Sanghyuk smiled, “just so long as you promise to be beside me in bed every morning.”

“Promise.

A/N: I have been meaning to get to this one for a while. Like, ever since I wrote ‘Recall’ I have been wanting to write this. So happy it turned out as good as I think it did.