Dealing With Damage

Overwatch

A/N: oh, you guys are not gonna like me in a few seconds.

“Hongbin?” Sanghyuk asked, knocking on his friend’s door, “are you in there?”

“Go away,” Hongbin yelled back and Sanghyuk winced at how upset the other sounded.

“No,” Sanghyuk replied, wondering if he should play around with the door knob and see if he could break it so he could enter Hongbin’s room, “you need someone.”

“I don’t need anyone!” Hongbin screamed and Sanghyuk almost jumped back as he heard something shatter against the other side of the door, “All I need is my arm back!”

“You know that can’t happen,” Sanghyuk sighed sadly, recalling all too well the sight of Hongbin’s arm when he’d found the medic a week and a half ago.

“Just go away,” Hongbin said after a moment, clearly on the edge of crying.

“No.”

Sanghyuk wasn’t let into Hongbin’s room, he was just left standing there at the door while Hongbin sobbed and clutched what was left of his left arm. Eventually, the crying got to be too much for Sanghyuk and he set about trying to bust the lock. It took a couple of tries, but finally Sanghyuk managed to do it and rushed into the room.

“I told you to go away,” Hongbin sobbed, hugging the stump that was once his arm as if he was trying to hide it from Sanghyuk.

“I know,” Sanghyuk nodded, shutting the door and moving to sit beside Hongbin, “and you know I said I wasn’t going to leave you alone.”

Hongbin didn’t respond with words. Instead, he just started crying harder, moving to hug Sanghyuk as best he could and soaking his friend’s shirt with his tears.

“I can’t stand this….this…..all of this,” Hongbin whimpered, “why did this happen? How could this have happened? I can’t…..I can’t…….I can’t be the doctor I was. Not anymore. Not with one arm. I…..I’ll have to leave. I’ll have to give up everything I love.”

“You aren’t going anywhere,” Sanghyuk assured the other.

“No!” Hongbin snapped, “I can’t be a doctor with only one arm! Hakyeon would be crazy to keep me around, to send me out into the field. I have no place here anymore.”

“That isn’t true,” Sanghyuk assured Hongbin, “we….we’re figuring something out so that you don’t have to leave.”

“It’s pointless,” Hongbin whispered, shoulders sagging as the last of his fighting spirit left him, “it’s over. It’s done. I……I’ll pack my things when I get clearance to leave.”

“Hongbin,” Sanghyuk tried, but Hongbin quickly shut him down and Sanghyuk remained silent.

He didn’t know what to say to his friend. Hongbin was a fighter, but now…..now that fight was gone and all that remained was a very broken man. Sanghyuk didn’t know how to fix broken people. That much should be clear after what happened after his breakup with Wonsik. And Hakyeon…….he had problems that Sanghyuk was at a loss to fix, too.

Hongbin’s problems……the feelings of losing an arm…….the thoughts of that meaning you’ve lost everything……

Sanghyuk couldn’t fix any of that, he didn’t even know where to start. So he just stayed silent, hugged Hongbin tightly, and silently prayed that Wonsik managed to make that robotic arm he was working on for Hongbin.

A/N: the idea of giving Hongbin a robotic arm was a 100% random thought that just popped into my head and I ran with it ‘cuz it seemed interesting. ……I’m not a good person apparently.