A Day in the Lab

Overwatch

“You need to get outside more,” Sanghyuk said as he entered Wonsik’s lab.

“I get outside plenty,” the scientist replied, not once looking up from the files scattered across his desk and computer screen.

“Uh huh,” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes as he moved to wrap his arms around Wonsik’s shoulders, pressing a kiss to is boyfriend’s cheek, “what was the weather like this week?”

“Sunny?” Wonsik finally turned to look at Sanghyuk, silently hoping that he was right. He really didn’t like when Sanghyuk was right about stuff like this. He used it as a reason to pull Wonsik outside and……well, Wonsik wasn’t too big a fan of the great outdoors. Plus, he was working on something too important to take a break from.

“It’s been snowing,” Sanghyuk smirked, “all week. How did you miss that?” Sanghyuk lightly grabbed Wonsik’s chin and turned his head towards the windows that took up a full wall in the laboratory.

“I’ve just been really focused on my newest experiment,” Wonsik defended himself, “I’m telling you, Hyukkie, I’m going to change the world with this.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk sighed, letting go of Wonsik and pulling over a chair, “I’ll bite. What is this world changing invention that’s kept you in here for….about a month now? Because I’d really like to know what’s been so important that I haven’t been on a date with you in ages.”

“Time travel!” Wonsik grinned, totally missing out on Sanghyuk’s annoyance.

“Time travel?” Sanghyuk raised an eyebrow, suddenly feeling a lot more annoyed then he had been a few hours earlier when Wonsik had failed to show up for another date.

Don’t get him wrong, he was well aware of Wonsik’s habit of getting so caught up in his work he forgot everything else. They’d been friends since childhood after all. It was just…..when Wonsik confessed when they were nineteen….a part of Sanghyuk thought things wouldn’t be this bad. He never thought that he’d have to go through a whole month of missed and canceled at the very last minute dates. He knew that Wonsik’s work was important, that getting so caught up in it was a part of Wonsik, it was just that……sometimes he resented being the second fiddle. It made him feel like he was the least important thing in his lover’s life.

For crying out loud, his little kiss on the cheek was the most psychical contact they’d had in a week give or take a few days.

Sanghyuk’s inner thoughts drew to a close and he found Wonsik hadn’t noticed that he’d zoned out at all. He was far too focused on talking about his work to notice what Sanghyuk was doing. That kind of stung. Now that he thought about it, Wonsik probably hadn’t noticed that he was dressed up all fancy either. Sanghyuk had gone to great lengths to make himself look good and desirable.

And yet the random guys and girls he’d passed on the street had shown more interest than his own boyfriend had.

“Just think about the ramifications!” Wonsik finished his rant with a smile and Sanghyuk forced one of his own.

“Sure sounds world changing,” Sanghyuk said. And he was sure it would be.

“I’m just about to run a test,” Wonsik said, “Do you want to stay and watch?”

“Sure,” Sanghyuk nodded. It was no anniversary dinner, that was for sure, but at least he’d be doing something with Wonsik.

Wonsik moved Sanghyuk out of the way before running about the lab to grab his prototype. Sanghyuk silently watched Wonsik get everything set up, a feeling of unease building in his gut. It was the same feeling he got when he was in the air and something was about to go wrong. But Sanghyuk decided to keep his mouth shut for once. Wonsik looked so excited and he couldn’t ruin that because he had a bad feeling. Wonsik didn’t believe in that stuff anyway. He was a man of science and gut feelings weren’t science. At least according to Wonsik.

“Alright,” Wonsik said, moving past Sanghyuk to get to some terminals on the other side of the lab, “just stay there and I’ll get this test running.”

“Wait,” Sanghyuk frowned, noticing just how close he was to the device, “is it really ok for me to be standing here? What if something goes wrong and it blows up?”

“It’s not going to blow up,” Wonsik waved off Sanghyuk’s concerns, not even looking up from his computer to see the downright fearful look in his boyfriend’s eyes, “everything will be fine.”

“If you say so,” Sanghyuk muttered, wondering if maybe he should move away regardless of what Wonsik thought.

Wonsik started the test and the prototype started up. The pair watched it intently; Wonsik waiting for it to do as he wanted and Sanghyuk watching to see if it was going to blow up. It was so small, it probably wouldn’t kill him. It would most likely just leave him a burned and bloody mess.

He hoped.

Two things happened in the moments the followed Wonsik starting the test.

The device started to create a time rift as Wonsik wanted.

Then it blew up just like Sanghyuk thought it would.

After the lab’s sprinkler system put out the fire and the smoke had cleared, Wonsik found Sanghyuk looking dazed on the other side of the lab, far from where he’d originally been. Sanghyuk was a little burnt and cut, but it wasn’t anything major. Nothing that would leave a lasting scar if properly treated.

“Sanghyuk?” Wonsik cried, tears streaming down his face and he took in the other’s current state of being and realized what could have happened, “oh my god, are you alright? Oh my god. You….oh my god.”

“I’m fine,” Sanghyuk managed to say after a moment, trying to ignore how his voice shook and how his hands trembled just as bad, “I’m ok.”

“I’m so sorry,” Wonsik cried, moving to hug Sanghyuk, “this is all my fault. I should have listened to you.”

“I’m fine,” Sanghyuk insisted.

But second later his body time jumped to where he’d been standing moments ago, proving that he really wasn’t ok.

A/N: wow, this is the first one I wrote that isn’t focused on Hakyeon. I mean, it’s got Sanghyuk still, but compared to the others…..yeah, I think this might be progress hahaha. I’m thinking…..since I’m posting these in the order I wrote them and I wrote them all out of order ‘cuz I’m a fickle like that…..maybe I should have, like, a list in the foreword that’s got everything in chronological order. ‘cuz not everyone likes jumping around like a spastic bunny……..I have no idea if that made any sense. What do you guys think?