The First Time

Overwatch

The first time Kim Jaejoong looked at all of the gathered people who were going to become Overwatch, he felt a lot of things. Excitement, fear, sadness. But mostly, he felt hope. Sure it was exciting as hell to be standing before so many amazing people. Sure he was scared that all of this would end up being for nothing. Sure he was sad that all of this had taken so long to get started. But the hope he felt for the future of the world easily overpowered all of that.

The first time Park Yoochun looked at the new Overwatch members, he felt nothing but pride and hope. It had taken so very long to get this entire plan to work, to secure the fund and equipment to do anything. But now everything was ready. They could finally make a difference in the world, save some lives. Finally, he could see hope for the future that had seemed so dark before.

The first time Kim Junsu looked at the special men and women who had been selected for Overwatch, he felt so many things that he couldn’t put it into words. He felt the same things as his friends and so much more. It took so much more work then he wanted to admit to stand before all of these special people and talk. He wanted to break down in tears, sobbing for those that were dead, that Overwatch couldn’t protect because it had taken so long to be created. But Junsu forced his way through his speech, deciding that he could morn for the dead later.

The first time Cha Hakyeon looked at the other Overwatch members, he felt horribly out classed. The only time he felt better was when he looked eyes with a handsome young man on the other side of the room. That feeling of being outclassed returned moments later when he found out just how special that young man was.

The first time Jung Taekwoon looked at the people around him, he felt confidence. Confidence in the future of those who called earth home. He just knew, deep down in his gut, that it would be this group, these people, who would fix everything. That would bring peace and an end to the war. No more people would die because of the endless war between humans and robots. All because of Overwatch.

The first time Kim Wonsik looked at the Overwatch members around him, he felt rather detached. Actually, that was a total lie. He felt just as out of place as some others in the room did. And he felt that way because of his reason for being there. Everyone else had good reasons to be there. They wanted peace. All he wanted was to be by his ex-boyfriends side. But he promised himself that he would fight just as hard as everyone else. He would fight even harder than them to make up for his less then honorable reason for being there.

The first time Han Sanghyuk stepped into the meeting room, he already felt hope. More hope then he’d ever felt in his whole life. He didn’t need to see the other Overwatch members to know that they could bring the peace that Overwatch existed to bring. He just knew it the second he stepped foot inside the room. And his gut was never wrong.

The first time Lee Hongbin stepped into the meeting room, he felt a bit nervous. He had looked over the files he had been provided for all the other Overwatch members. He knew what they were all capable of. Or what they claimed they were capable of anyway. And there he was a simple doctor who’d only recently graduated from med school. He had no credits to his name, not like some of them did. Thoughts of failure filled his head for several moments before someone patted his shoulder and introduced themselves. Some cute girl named Sana who looked like she was in her teens. She said she was like him, a recent med school grad. The pair instantly bonded over their shared fear of being outclassed and helped each other feel better. By the time the meeting started, neither felt anywhere near as nervous.

The first time Minatozaki Sana entered the meeting room, she felt so outclassed it wasn’t funny. So she did what she always did in situations where she felt nervous, she went to make a friend. She found the person she thought was Lee Hongbin, a med school grad like her, and started talking. It worked like a charm and when it came time for her to introduce herself to everyone she did it was confidence and a bright smile.

The first time Yook Sungjae stepped into the meeting room, he felt her nervousness fade away. Even if he’d been assured that he wasn’t the only robot in Overwatch, he’d scared that he’d be all alone. But once he stepped into the room and saw several other robots he felt so happy he could cry. Back where he’d come from, he was alone. But this…..this was totally different. He quickly made his way over to the closest robot, silently deciding that this was defiantly going to be his home. Overwatch was going to be his family.

The first time Seo Eunkwang looked around at the people waiting for the meeting to start, he felt…..well, he wasn’t sure when exactly he felt. All of this was very new to him. Sure, he’d worked with teams before. He’d even been able to bring a couple members of that team with him; Lee Changsub, Im Hyunsik, and Jeong Ilhoon. But this…..this was something else and he wasn’t sure what to make of any of it. But he’d been assured that if he and his team changed their minds on all of this they could always leave. That, at least, was a great comfort to his uneasy mind.

The first time Lee Changsub looked around at all the people waiting for the meeting to start and felt excited. He was always up for something new, something that would push him to be better than he was. And Overwatch was defiantly going to offer that to him. Plus, it was a chance to make new friends and that was something he was defiantly up for. Saving the world sounded pretty fun, too.

The first time Im Hyunsik looked around the meeting room full of people waiting for the meeting to start, he felt the same thing as his leader and friend. Except it was a bit worse because he wasn’t at all sure that Overwatch could actually achieve its end goal of peace for all. He’d seen the worst that the world could offer and he had the scars to prove it. He just……he couldn’t help but wonder if all of this would turn out to be for nothing. If they could actually stop this war.

The first time Jeong Ilhoon looked around the meeting room full of people, he felt hopeful. He hadn’t felt that in years, not since his parents had been killed in a peaceful pro-robot-human-relation protest when he was a young teen. That had been why he’d jumped at the offer to become part of Overwatch, even if his own leader and friends had been more hesitant. He wanted to make a difference. He needed to do this.

The first time Lee Minhyuk entered the meeting room, he felt safe. He had never felt safe. Even the day he was first made, first came online, he didn’t feel safe. Although that might have something to do with the fact that the factory he’d been made at had been attacked moments after he was born. But now, in this room with all these other humans and robots who wanted peace, he felt safe. He wasn’t scared for his life anymore.

The first time Shin Donggeun looked around at all the special people who were going to become Overwatch, he didn’t feel all that impressed. Maybe it was just because he’d lost all hope ages ago that peace could be achieved, but that was really how he felt. He looked around and couldn’t understand how anyone could think that this random group of ‘special’ people could do anything. Especially something as important as stop the fighting. Then some young robot rushed up to him, smiling big and talking about how awesome all of this was.

The first time Mark Tuan looked around the slowly filling meeting room, he felt excited. He’d been traveling the world for years, finding new places and trying new things, and yet he’d never done anything like this. Just like his teammate, Jackson Wang, he had agreed to join because he wanted to do something new. Something he hadn’t done before. Saving lives wasn’t exactly new, but stopping a war? Now that was something to cross off the bucket list.

The first time Jackson Wang looked around the meeting room, he felt the same excitement as his partner. Just like his long-time friend, he was looking forewords to doing something he hadn’t done before. That this would help a lot of people was just a bonus.

The first time Im Jaebum sat down at the meeting table, he was questioning if this was what he really wanted to do with his life. He’d been promised that he’d be paid for his service, but what would happen if he died? Who would put food on the table for his family? His father had been a mercenary like him, had passed on the job title and the employer list. But his father was dead, his mother wasn’t able to work, and his siblings had to focus on school. If something happened to him…..

The first time Park Jinyoung sat down at the meeting table, he was nervous and wondered if he’d really done the right thing saying yes. He was a robot, he’d be a massive target for anyone they faced; humans who hated his kind and robots who thought he was a traitor for working with humans. In hopes of silencing his fears, he turned to the guy beside him and started talking. Jaebum was nice and just as worried about joining Overwatch. The pair promised that they would watch each other’s backs, the pledge calming their fears a great deal.

The first time Choi Youngjae took a seat at the meeting table, he felt pretty ok. He didn’t feel outclass or nervous. Or maybe he was just lying to himself and he did feel nervous and outclassed. But Youngjae knew that if he started to think about those feelings he’d lose it. He’d run away and hide or something else stupid. He could not do something like that, not when he was in a room full of the best and brightest that could be found in the world.

The first time Kunpimook Bhuwakul, also called BamBam from time to time because reasons, took his seat at the table, he was so excited that he could explode. Or blow something else up. The explosives expert tended to do stuff like that a lot when he got to excited or nervous. It was a habit that had almost gotten him into trouble many times in the past. But he had much better control now then he had back then. Plus, he knew that blowing something up right now would probably cost him this Overwatch gig and he did not want to miss out on this opportunity.

The first time Kim Yugyeom entered the meeting room, he felt his fear fade away into a wonderful calmness. Honestly, he’d been convinced that all of this Overwatch stuff was fake. A cruel plan to lure a robot like himself into a death trap. He had no idea why he’d still shown up, why he’d decided to take such a risk when he’d always been so focused on self-preservation. But here he was and he wasn’t dead. Everything was exactly what he’d been told it was and suddenly he felt happy. Hopeful that he had found a place he could be safe.

The first time Son Hyunwoo, or Shownu as he preferred to be called, took his seat in the meeting room, he felt the same thing he’d felt when he’d heard about Overwatch; curiosity. He looked around at everyone else in the room and wanted to know about all of them. What did they do, what was their reason for being there, and what kind of people they were. He wondered who out of this random group of people would become his friends, who would become part of his family, and who would just be someone he worked with. He smiled, excited to find out the answers to all his questions.

The first time Shin Hoseok, or Wonho as he was known in professional circles, entered the meeting room, he looked around in hopes of finding someone he might know. He was super nervous and hoped that he could find at least one person he knew. Someone he could talk to, someone who could help calm him down a little bit. Lucky for him, he spotted a kid he’d worked with a few times in the past, Lim Changhyun. The two of them got along pretty well and he could already feel himself calming down a little bit. Unfortunately, on his way over to the other he bumped into a really handsome guy, Han Sanghyuk if he remembered the files correctly. Like the socially awkward person he could sometimes be, he stuttered out an apology and rushed away in the other direction.

The first time Yoo Kihyun entered the meeting room, he felt about as calm as he always did right before taking a shot with his sniper. Which meant he was cool and collected on the outside and ting bricks on the inside. He worried that no one would like him or that he’d mess up horribly one the first mission he was sent out on. So many fears were swirling about in his head that he feared he was going to faint. And wouldn’t that just make for a wonderful first impression? So taking a deep breath he moved to find a seat. He could do this. he totally could do this.

The first time Lim Changhyun, of I.M as his clientele knew him, entered the meeting room, he felt oddly calm. He’d been super worried before about how this meeting would go, if everything was going to fall apart and if he’d be accepted by anyone. But the second he entered the room and looked around, he felt calm. As far as he was concerned, everyone looked a little bit nervous. Everyone feeling the same way he was calmed the tech genius down like you wouldn’t believe. With a small smile, he set out to find someone to talk to and found a member of the med crew called Lee Jooheon.

The first time Lee Jooheon entered the meeting room, he felt pretty out of place. Not because he felt like he was outclassed or anything like that. No, he felt out of place because he was way more comfortable in a hospital or an operating room. Big meetings with lots of people just weren’t his thing, they never had been. That was why he’d ditched the big company CEO world his father had been trying to force on him. Well, that and the fact that he enjoyed saving lives. Just as he was starting to entertain the idea of walking out, some guy calling himself I.M came over and they started talking.

The first time Lee Minhyuk entered the meeting room, he felt awkward. He spent so much time messing around with his teammate, Chae Hyungwon, and his mech that big meetings like this…..well, they left him a bit out of his element. He used to be good at stuff like this, but all the time he spent as part of the South Korea Defense Force had changed that. When he was a part of that, he didn’t get to go to too many meetings. But he was going to be fine. He could get used to big meet ups and large groups again. He was gonna be fine.

The first time Chae Hyungwon took his seat at the table, he felt excited. So excited that he was a little worried he was gonna start bouncing with the emotion. It wasn’t a habit or anything, he didn’t normally vibrate when he got too excited, but he had never been this wound up about anything before. Even when he got his mech or met his best friend for the first time. Glancing over at said partner, he hoped that some of his excitement would pass over to him and make him feel better about this whole thing.

The first time Lim Nayeon entered the meeting room, she felt giddy. She’d never done anything like this. She was just a simple hacker, she would have never though in a million years that she would find herself in a place like this. And yet here she was and she was just so excited. Grinning to herself, she looked around at the people she’d read about – both in the files she’d been given and the information she’d found all by herself – and couldn’t wait to get to know all of them.

The first time Yoo Jungyeon stepped into the meeting room, she felt pretty darn confident. Well, she was telling herself that anyway. She knew that she had awesome skills, she knew that she belonged in that room. She was not going to freak out and run and make everyone think she was some kind of socially awkward kid. She was a top of the line robot. She was so top of the line that people thought she was human until she told them otherwise. She was a skilled fighter and bodyguard and no one she’d ever protected had been killed while she was on the job. She totally had this. She’d totally faced way worse situation and not run the other way.

The first time Hirai Momo sat down at the table, she felt her confidence starting to fade. With everyone sitting down she could actually look at everyone and see how impressive some of them looked. Compared to them, she didn’t have much. What could her detective skills really do when against the skills some of these people had? She might have been the best back home, but here she wasn’t anything that special. It made her worried, thinking that all of this might be a massive miscalculation on her part. Maybe she should have stayed at home and kept her job as a homicide detective.

The first time Park Jihyo took her seat at the table, she felt more at home then she’d felt in years. She couldn’t explain why, but she just felt like all of this was right. Like she was meant to be there and same with everyone else. She just knew deep down in her gut that this was all going to work out and these people were going to become her family. If she said something like that back home, her ‘siblings’ would probably just laugh at her, ridicule her for her way of thinking. She was a robot, she didn’t have gut feelings. That was stuff for humans, not for superior beings like them. She’d heard those lines so much it wasn’t funny.

The first time Myoui Mina took her seat at the table, she felt more than a little terrified. Especially since she was sitting between a couple of people who looked like they could easily break her. She didn’t think that they actually would, there was no way Overwatch would employ bullies into their ranks. Right? She just had to hope that they weren’t going to do anything to her poor, nerdy existence. How she wished to she was back in her lab, working on her latest creation.

The first time Kim Dahyun looked around at everyone gathered in the meeting room, she found herself grinning like a mad woman. She loved meeting new people and seeing things a normal person probably wouldn’t see. Overwatch promised both in spades. Grabbing her best friend, Son Chaeyoung, and dragging her farther into the room, they found themselves seats and waited for the meeting to kick off. The historian turned adventurer quickly started up a conversation with the young robotic girl who was sitting beside her, Chou Tyu-yu.

The first time Son Chaeyoung sat down at the table, she felt exhausted. Her partner had kept her up all night talking about this meeting, making up theories about who they would meet and what they would end up doing. It might be for the best though. If she wasn’t so sleepy, she might give into her worries about this being the right direction to take her life. She’d sure been worried about that before, rambling the whole trip here about if they were really going to do this. Fighting back a yawn, she wondered if anyone would notice if she took a quick nap.

The first time Chou Tyu-yu sat down at the table, she was quickly roped into a conversation with the girl sitting to her right. It was just as well, talking got her mind off of her worries and that was always a good thing. The young robot hadn’t exactly joined Overwatch because she wanted to. Her maker had straight up ordered her to join. He felt that she would be safer there, that staying with him would only end in them both being killed. She didn’t exactly disagree with that, she just…..she wished he had come with her. But he was old and weak, not long for this world. Being in Overwatch would make him proud and she wanted so badly to make her father proud, see him smiling happily in his final days.

The first time Park Cho Ah entered the building, she took a deep breath to calm her nerves and put on a small smile. She was a little bit nervous about this whole Overwatch thing. And who wouldn’t be? This was a massive risk with a huge chance of failure. But the thing was, she was hopeful it would work. That was why she had agreed to join, why she had dragged the whole of privet detective agency staff with her. It hadn’t been easy convincing all of them that this was the best way to make a difference, but in the end they all decided to give in to hope.

The first time Shin Jimin entered the building, she felt a buzz of excitement fill her. She’d originally been a bit of a skeptic when the idea of joining Overwatch had been proposed. However now that she was here, she could almost feel her doubts fading away into nothing. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that. She was a skeptic by nature, it was why she’d become a privet investigator, so feeling so hopeful left her feeling a bit unbalanced.

The first time Seo Yuna entered the meeting room, she wasn’t at all sure what to make of all of this. That morning she had felt confident, but now all of that confidence just seemed to be swallowed up with dozens of other emotions she couldn’t begin to name. Being there, in that room, made all of this Overwatch stuff seem……real. Not that it wasn’t real before, it was just that now…..now she could see it, touch it, and smell it. Before it had just been an idea. Now it was real and smacking her in the face with just how real it was.

The first time Shin Hyejeong entered the meeting room, she found herself wishing that she hadn’t worn heels that day. She wasn’t exactly the smallest in the group – in fact she was the tallest with or without the help of footwear – and she really wanted to duck behind one of the other girls right now and hide from all the people who looked their way. There weren’t even that many people there yet, not if the size of the table was anything to go by. How on earth was she going to handle more people? She wasn’t socially awkward, she really wasn’t, but this was so far out of her comfort zone you couldn’t really blame her for wanting to hide.

The first time Kwon Min Ah set foot in the meeting room, she had to fight very hard not to scream in glee. She’d been all for joining Overwatch when the idea had been presented, and now she was there. She was in the Overwatch building, waiting for the first Overwatch meeting to start. She was in the best place to be if you wanted to make a difference in the world, wanted to change it for the better. Fighting hard not to let out any childish sounds that would attract attention – something she knew some of her friends wouldn’t want – she locked arms with two of the girls and made her way farther into the room.

The first time Kim Seolhyun took her seat at the table, she did her very best to look like a professional. Like she belonged in that room just like everyone else. She knew she did, she wasn’t feeling outclassed or anything, she just wanted everyone else to know it too. She had noticed the second she entered the room that some people were looking at her and the girls, judging them. Some of those people had nodded, accepting their existence in Overwatch, but others hadn’t. It had irked her a great deal, especially when she knew some of her friends had noticed those same looked. She wanted it known right from the get go that she and her friends belonged there and no one would change that.

The first time Kim Chanmi took her seat at the table, she did her best to mask her nerves. She thought she was doing a pretty good job of it too, especially since none of the other girls seemed the least bit worried about the baby of the group. But secretly she wished that she wasn’t so good at acting, that the others would notice her troubled feelings and assure her that everything was fine. Maybe after the meeting, she would confide her feelings to them. But then again, some of them seemed to be a bit worried already. Maybe she shouldn’t let on that she was scared and make their troubles worse…..

The first time Moon Hyun Ah entered the meeting room, she felt oddly calm. The whole trip to the meeting, she’d been a bundle of nerves. She was giving up a lot to join Overwatch, no one could blame her for questioning that choice. But now that she was here, she wasn’t anywhere near as worried. The aura that the whole place gave off seemed to be enough to calm her and the young woman couldn’t express how good that made her feel. Maybe…..maybe she might even start calling this place home. She sure needed one of those.

The first time Lee Hyunjoo, of Lee Sam as she liked to be referred to, set foot in the building, she felt hope. Hope that she hadn’t felt in ages. If she was being totally honest, she’d kind of given up on the feeling of hope. Living on the streets and working as a paid gun tended to do that to you. Especially being a paid gun. At one point or another, you started to lose things like hope and compassion. It was something she hated about the job, but since it put food on the table…..she’d learned to deal. But Overwatch…..this was different. She was ready for different.

The first time Ryu Sera entered the meeting room, she walked right up to the first person she saw and introduced herself. She had been hoping for a chance like Overwatch to come along for ages. She had been doing good on her own, trying to protect people and robots with every ounce of her strength, but something like Overwatch was going to be so much more helpful. Overwatch had funding and people and the highest grade everything. All she had was her own strength, donations for those she helped, and cheap weapons that she’d gotten from her father. Yeah, Overwatch was going to do so much good and she was happy to be part of it.

The first time Lee Hyemin looked around the room, she was more than a little thankful that she was on the late side. Few people were looking at her and that was exactly what she wanted. In a room full of special people, she was still one of the most special people out there. After all, how many of these people could turn things to ice? None. So she took once last look around to make sure she wasn’t the center of attention before heading off to look for some of the other people that she had read were ‘freaks’ like her.

The first time Park Eunji entered the room, she didn’t feel all that impressed. She knew that everyone in the room was supposed to be important and special, but to her they just looked like normal people. She could pass any of them on the street and never know that they were something important. Maybe that was the point, but she’d been expecting something……more. She’d been expecting to see people who looked deadly and intimidating. Honestly, it did kind of calm her nerves, so maybe it was for the best. She’d take normal looking people over scary monsters any day.

The first time Son Sungah entered the room, she couldn’t help the small smile that lit up her face. This was exactly what she’d pictured in her head when she’d been approached about joining Overwatch. Well, not exactly. For starters, she’d pictured the people with powers – like the time guy she’d read about – to be a lot more obvious. But the human and robot interaction going on? That was a lot more in line with what she’d pictured. Maybe not all the robots and humans were talking, but some were and that gave her a nice, warm feeling in her gut. The robotic woman quickly approached the closest human and started talking.

The first time Park Kyungri sat down at the table, she put on her determined face and did her best to make it look like she was meant to be there. She wasn’t much compared to some of the other people at the table – at least she thought so – and she was worried that it showed. That after the meeting was over someone was going to come up to her and tell her to get out. That she didn’t belong there with everyone else. But she was going to prove them wrong, she was determined to show everyone that she did belong in Overwatch. Even if her resume wasn’t as impressive as some other people, she was still a computer expert worthy of the ‘expert’ title.

The first time Pyo Hyemi took her seat at the table, she found herself smiling. Even though she had been mostly hopeful about this whole Overwatch thing, she’d still had whispers of doubt in the back of her mind. She’d seen some stuff over the years, things that would make anyone lose all hope and question if Overwatch would work. It had honestly been through pure willpower that she’d kept her hope alive over the years. But now…..now she felt that little voice of doubt fading to nothing and her hope shining through without any effort at all. It made her smile.

The first time Park Minha took her seat, she put on her best blank expression in hopes of hiding her nerves. She was pretty good at it, too. Masking her feelings was a required skill in the spy game after all and she was a very good spy. If she wasn’t, why would she be on the Overwatch roster? She felt pretty bad for the people who couldn’t hide their fear, though. It was so obvious and they probably knew it which just made them more nervous. She’d love to help them feel better, tell them that it was alright to be afraid, but just as the idea struck her to do just that the meeting began.

A/N: so this is a little bit different from some of the other chapters. At least I think it is. Honestly, the idea for this popped into my head and I was like “yes. Yes this must happen.” I really think it’s a good way to show where everyone was coming from and show off who is part of the main Overwatch team. Or was part of it back in the day anyway haha. I wasn’t exactly happy with adding Hakyeon to this since I’d already covered his thoughts on this matter, but I couldn’t just leave him out either. It wouldn’t fit with what I was going for. Thus I tried to keep his part shorter. Haha its funny seeing how many people felt just as out of place as he did, though. Poor guy thought he was all alone in feeling like that but holy crap was that far from the truth haha.

Also, this was a bit of a monster to write since the cast is pretty big. And I didn’t even have everyone in this!! Haha what did I get myself into, right? More than once I was like “too much……can’t write……must stop…..before….death….” but I got it done in the end. Very proud of myself haha

Oh! If you guys have any, like, shipping request, feel free to suggest ‘em in the comments. I already have some ideas for what I want to do, but *shrug* suggestions are always welcome!