Codenames

Overwatch

“Flashback,” Sanghyuk read the letters printed on the paper he’d been given.

“Cool,” Hongbin grinned.

“It’s not,” Sanghyuk laughed, “it’s really not.”

“Better than mine, anyway,” was all Hongbin could say, shrugging helplessly, “I can’t believe that Jaejoong thought that this was a good name idea.”

“Mercy,” Sanghyuk read after grabbing the paper from Hongbin, “wow, that…..that does not fit you. Like at all.”

“What does that mean?” Hongbin scowled, glaring slightly at the fly boy sitting beside him.

“You’re the devil,” Sanghyuk teased, “but don’t worry, I’m a devil, too.”

The pair cracked up at that.

“What are you two laughing about?” Wonsik asked, moving to take the seat on the other side of Sanghyuk.

“Our codenames,” Hongbin explained since Sanghyuk was still trying to control his giggles, “they’re stupid.”

“Yeah,” Wonsik nodded in understanding, “I’m considering asking for something else.”

“Someone tried that already,” Sanghyuk told him, “Jaejoong is dead set on what we were given.” Sanghyuk made a show of imitating Jaejoong, repeating word for word what he’d heard the elder say to the person who’d asked to change his codename, “No changes, no complaining. You got what you go, so learn to live with it or leave. Junsu came up with all these names after all. He spent hours and hours thinking of them. Can’t let all his hard work go to waste, right?”

“Crap,” Wonsik scowled.

“What did you get?” Hongbin asked.

“Lab Monkey,” Wonsik winced.

“Ouch,” Sanghyuk patted Wonsik’s shoulder in an attempt to comfort him, “hate to say it, but I think that’s way worse than mine or Hongbin’s.”

“Thanks,” Wonsik rolled his eyes.

“You know what our fearless leader and his right hand man got?” Hongbin questioned, “Is it as bad as ours?”

“I don’t know,” Wonsik told him, “and why would I know?”

“They check what’s going on in your lab every couple of days,” Hongbin replied, “it figures that they might have mentioned something to you about their codenames.”

“Out of everyone here,” Sanghyuk nodded in agreement, “you’d probably know.”

“Well they didn’t say anything,” Wonsik just shrugged, “maybe they didn’t even get codenames.”

“Bull,” Sanghyuk huffed, “Junsu went on for a couple of hours about how important hiding our identities is. There’s no way Hakyeon and Taekwoon are gonna get out of ty codenames.”

“Then ask them yourself,” Wonsik told his friend and ex-boyfriend.

“Ask who what?” the three startled slightly as Hakyeon and Taekwoon sat down on the other side of the table.

“We were wondering if your codenames were as bad as ours are,” Hongbin explained.

“And trust me,” Sanghyuk grinned, “they’ll have to be pretty bad to beat what we’ve got.”

“Oh that?” Hakyeon shrugged, “I didn’t think the codenames were that bad.”

“They aren’t,” Taekwoon nodded in agreement.

“You’re joking, right?” Hongbin scoffed, “I got stuck with Mercy, Sanghyuk was given the name Flashback, and Wonsik? He’s now Lab Monkey.”

“Oh,” Hakyeon blinked, “those…..wow. Those are bad.”

“What did you get?” Sanghyuk pressed, “Clearly, it’s good. So spill.”

“I’m N,” Hakyeon said, “and Taekwoon is Leo.”

“Well,” Hongbin said after a moment, “those are stupid, but…..not really bad. Just dumb.”

“I’d take stupid over what I got,” Wonsik huffed, “any day of the week.”

“Ditto,” Sanghyuk sighed before turning to his lunch.

A/N: after watching episodes 9 to 11 of ‘Red vs Blue’ season 14, reading the title of this one just makes me smile hahaha. Shout out to any RvB fans who know what I’m talking about!