The Builder

Overwatch

“What are we doing down here?” Sanghyuk asked Hongbin, looking around at the planes and trying not to let his internal struggle show.

After he’d gotten his powers, he been banned from flying. Well, not right after. There had been a test flight that went…..very wrong. It could have been worse, the plane could have been in the air when he flashed back to where he had been an hour prior. It still totaled the plane and his boss had ordered him not to fly until he got his new powers under control. Even when Sanghyuk did get things under control, he just……he couldn’t fly.

The fear…….the fear that he would lose control and flash forewords or back…….that he would die or, even worse, kill someone…….

Sanghyuk hadn’t been in the sky in years.

“You’ve got to see what Wonho is making,” Hongbin grinned, grabbing his friend’s arm and dragging him farther into the underground hanger.

“Wonho,” Sanghyuk frowned slightly, “that’s the mechanical genius, right? Shownu’s friend?”

Sanghyuk liked Shownu. He was a good guy and a strong fighter. They ended up on the front lines together, fighting side by side. At first, the other man hadn’t known exactly what to think of Sanghyuk and his power, but after a few months of fighting together they had become friends. They honestly kind of considered themselves partners on the battle field and the powers that be seemed to get that, almost always partnering the two up when an operation called for it. If Shownu was friends with this Wonho guy, then he had to be a good person.

“Yep,” Hongbin nodded, “now come on, they’re waiting.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk sighed, casting an unreadable look at the planes and jets around him.

“Hey!” Shownu called when he spotting them causing his friends to look up suddenly.

Sanghyuk recognized all of them although he’d only gotten to work with a couple of them. I.M was more in the tech department of Overwatch and Jooheon in the medical department with Hongbin, so unless he needed their skills Sanghyuk didn’t have much to do with either. Minhyuk, Hyungwon, and Kihyun were all in the field like Shownu and Sanghyuk had worked with them several times.

Kihyun had some top notch sniping skills, so when Sanghyuk did work with him it was through Kihyun giving him cover fire. Minhyuk and Hyungwon were more frontline fighters and used mechs. The fly boy really appreciated having any of them with him in a fight. That being said, he liked having Shownu fighting at his side just a little bit more since their skill sets matched a bit better. Minhyuk and Hyungwon worked best together anyway.

“Did you tell him?” Minhyuk asked, grinning brightly.

“Nope,” Hongbin replied, “I thought Wonho should be the one since this is his work.”

“Can someone explain what’s going on?” Sanghyuk asked, looking around for answers before focusing on the huge tarp covering something behind the seven.

“Alright,” Wonho said, stepping forewords, “so, Shownu told me about your problem with planes.”

“Did he now?” Sanghyuk said, shooting Shownu a look. He’d told Shownu all of that in confidence and it irked him a fair bit to know that he’d gone and told someone else. Even Wonsik and his own mother didn’t know anything about his fear of flying. They thought it had been Sanghyuk’s boss who took away his wings permanently.

“Sorry,” Shownu apologized, “I just thought Wonho could help. And he has.”

“I talked Wonsik into letting me see his notes,” Wonho explained, moving to the edge of the tarp and gesturing for the others to follow his lead, “about the experiment that made you what you are. It wasn’t easy getting him to give it up, defiantly an experience I’m gonna skip repeating. But it gave me what I needed.”

“I’m not following,” Sanghyuk frowned, “what did you make?”

“It’s not done yet,” Wonho assured him, “for now it’s just a prototype. We’re gonna have to test it a bunch before I give it my golden seal of approval, but……..”

Wonho moved to pull off the tarp and the others helped, revealing a plane just like the one Sanghyuk had flown before everything changed.

“I….it…..” Sanghyuk tried to talk, eyes wide as he tried to understand.

“Kihyun did some serious digging to find the specs of your old plane,” Wonho said, “your plane….dang. You tricked that thing out. I’m more than a little impressed.”

“But,” Sanghyuk whispered, looking around at everyone with wide eyes, “I….I can’t fly it. I…..if I lost control…….if I slipped for even a second……”

“That’s where Wonsik’s notes come into play,” Wonho grinned, “this plane…..when it’s done, if you flash then so will it.”

“You’ll be able to fly it,” Shownu smiled, moving to pat Sanghyuk’s shoulder comfortingly, “you won’t have to worry.”

“Really?” Sanghyuk asked, tears starting to well up in his eyes at the very idea of flying again.

“Yeah,” Hongbin nodded, moving to throw an arm around Sanghyuk so he could hug his friend, “really.”

“Thank you,” Sanghyuk smiled, tears running down his face, “thank you.”

A/N: this was actually a totally random idea that popped into my head. I liked it, ran with it, and I’m very happy that I did. Actually…….it kind of puts an idea in my head. Not sure if I’ll run with it, but…….we shall see. Oh! Cookies and hugs to anyone who can guess what Overwatch characters I had in mind for the Monsta X guys.