Keeping Distance

Overwatch

“Jaehwan,” Hakyeon said, making his way over to where the young man was cleaning his armor.

“Hey, boss,” Jaehwan said, trying to smile brightly, “what’s up?”

“I wanted to talk,” Hakyeon said, “about your feelings for my husband.”

“I’m just a fan of his,” Jaehwan tried to deny Hakyeon’s words, “nothing more.”

“I’m not a fool,” Hakyeon huffed, “I’ve seen how you look at him. I look at him the same way. I know you’re in love with Sanghyuk.”

“I am not!” Jaehwan cried, “You’re just being paranoid.”

“Cut the crap,” Hakyeon hissed, his tone effectively shutting Jaehwan up, “I know what I see and I see that you’re in love with my husband.”

Jaehwan hung his head, not knowing what to say. Hakyeon wasn’t wrong, he did love Sanghyuk. He’d loved Sanghyuk for ages. Even knowing that Sanghyuk was married didn’t stop his feelings. Nothing Jaehwan had tried over the years had silenced his feelings for his favorite Overwatch member. In fact, everything he tried seemed to make his heart more determined to love Sanghyuk until the day he died.

But Jaehwan was not going to be a home wrecker. He refused to do anything about his feelings. And seeing Sanghyuk and Hakyeon being all cute and in love with each other? Well, that just made Jaehwan all the more determined to fight his feelings, to ignore the pain he felt in his chest whenever Sanghyuk kissed Hakyeon or held the other man’s hand. He kept silent and tried to keep some kind of distance between himself and Sanghyuk. He refused to get too close out of fear that his feelings would be revealed.

Clearly, he had failed.

“I’m sorry,” was all Jaehwan could say, wishing that the floor would open up and let him fall into the pits of hell already. Loving a married man was supposed to be a sin, right? You weren’t supposed to covet what someone else had, right? Now was as good a time as any to make him pay for that sin.

“I’m not angry,” Hakyeon sighed.

It was a lie.

He was angry. He didn’t like the idea of Jaehwan loving his husband. Sanghyuk liked Jaehwan. They got along well and shared many interests and hobbies. The pair were always joking around and laughing like old friends. And that…..it made Hakyeon worry.

The years between Overwatch’s disbandment and return had not been good to his marriage. He’d put Sanghyuk through a lot of pain and suffering. Once, they’d even gotten into a fight so bad that Hakyeon had stormed out of their house and failed to return for a week. Hakyeon didn’t remember what they’d even fought over, but he clearly remembered how broken Sanghyuk had looked when he finally returned.

Sanghyuk had cried for hours to the point of making himself sick. He’d begged for Hakyeon to forgive him for everything. He’d promised to never fight with Hakyeon again. He pledged to do anything Hakyeon wanted as long as he didn’t leave like that again. Hakyeon had only been able to utter out a promise to never leave Sanghyuk like that again. Sanghyuk’s red and puffy eyes, his unkempt hair and week old cloths had stolen any other words Hakyeon had.

And this was just one example of the things Hakyeon had put Sanghyuk through!

If he really wanted to get into how he’d damaged his marriage, he’d bring up all the nights he’d come home bleeding and broken. More than once, Sanghyuk had tried to go for the phone with the intension of calling an ambulance. Hakyeon always managed to talk him out of it, but Sanghyuk constantly looked to be teetering on the edge of calling anyway. And that haunted look in Sanghyuk’s eyes, like he thought Hakyeon was going to die right in front of him, was something Hakyeon wished he’d never seen even once. But he’d seen it more times than he could count.

Or he’d mention how he was the reason they didn’t have any children yet. He knew for a fact that Sanghyuk wanted to adopt a kid, he saw the look on Sanghyuk’s face when they’d see parents with their children in the park or grocery store. But they couldn’t have a child because of what Hakyeon was doing, because bringing a child into the mess that was their life was a foolish idea.

So, when Hakyeon saw how much Sanghyuk enjoyed spending time with Jaehwan, he couldn’t help but worry that maybe…….maybe Sanghyuk’s heart could be taken from him and given to another. And that made him so very angry. But anger was only part of what Hakyeon felt. More than anger, he felt…….like Sanghyuk leaving him was exactly what he deserved.

“You’re lying,” Jaehwan’s voice broke Hakyeon free from his thoughts, “I know you’re angry. I mean, I’m in love with your husband. How could you not be angry about that?”

“I don’t deserve him,” Hakyeon sighed sadly, “I’ve put him through so much, too much, since Overwatch disbanded. I’ve hurt him so much. Sure, I didn’t mean to, but the fact is that I did.”

“Everyone messes up,” Jaehwan pointed out.

“Not like I have,” Hakyeon sighed, “look, just…..if Sanghyuk falls for you, if he falls out of love with me……..then that’s just how it is. Nothing I do will change that. So stop…..stop distancing yourself. Stop putting up walls to keep Sanghyuk away from everything that is you.”

“This is not how I expected this conversation to go,” Jaehwan said after a moment, “I….I don’t get you at all. Are you seriously telling me to….to go after your husband?”

“I don’t understand what I’m doing either,” Hakyeon admitted, “I just want Sanghyuk happy and…..I’m not sure that he’s happy with me anymore. You……you make him laugh and smile. Things that…..that I’ve had trouble doing the past few years are so easy for you to achieve. So, no matter how everything ends, I want you to stay in his life, to keep him happy. If that means……if that means as a lover…….I’ll take my leave. So long as Sanghyuk is happy, then so am I.”

“Alright,” was all Jaehwan could say, his brain still failing to understand just what the hell Hakyeon was thinking.

“Alright,” Hakyeon nodded before turning and walking away.

Alone with his equipment once more, Jaehwan sighed.

A part of him, a dark and selfish part, wanted to take advantage of this development to get closer to Sanghyuk. It wanted to steal Sanghyuk from Hakyeon and never give him back. But this was only a small little voice in the back of Jaehwan’s mind. Most of him knew that Sanghyuk loved Hakyeon with all his being and would never stop. That if he’d been there to hear what Hakyeon just said……it would crush Sanghyuk because Hakyeon was his whole world.

Jaehwan sighed again before moving to put his things away. Sanghyuk needed to know what Hakyeon was thinking. Or, that the very least, he needed a general idea what Hakyeon was thinking. Sanghyuk needed to know so that he could reassure Hakyeon that their love was strong and unbreakable. Whatever worries Hakyeon had needed to be addressed and dealt with now, before they really did destroy the couple’s marriage.

Like Hakyeon, Jaehwan just wanted to see Sanghyuk happy and that was exactly what he was with Hakyeon.

A/N: I’m……not really happy with how this ended, specifically Hakyeon’s parts where he’s encouraging Jaehwan to go after Sanghyuk. Part 30 started good I think, but…..then I just hit a point where I had no idea what to say, what words to use, and I think that’s pretty damn clear with what words I did end up using. I hope you guys like it, but if you didn’t……….just let me know what you think, alright? So that crossed out part? That’s what I was thinking originally, but after taking some time away from the story and then reading this part over? I’m….kind of happy with what I did. I like this bit of development for Hakyeon, Jaehwan, and Sanghyuk. I like what it can do for the chasang romance and for Jaehwan’s heart moving on.