Interview

Overwatch

“Um,” Youngji said, “can I just….before we begin, I’d just like to say that I never lost faith in Overwatch.”

“And we’d like to thank you for that,” Taekwoon smiled slightly, “it means a lot to hear that.”

She smiled and started to say something when the camera man cut her off.

“Were ready to start,” he said, “in three. Two. One. And go.”

“Hello,” Youngji said, smiling kindly into the camera, “This is Heo Youngji with a special interview with Overwatch’s new leader, Soldier, and their second in command, Leo.”

“Hello,” Taekwoon nodded to the camera and Hakyeon echoed his movements but kept silent.

“Before we begin with the really hard questions,” she said, “I have to ask. Why now? Why have you chosen to return now? Why not five years ago? Why not in another ten years?”

“Over the past several years,” Hakyeon said, voice distorted slightly with his mask, “we have watched the world become an increasingly dangerous place. Truthfully we wanted to step in ages ago, but we felt like the public wouldn’t accept our aid. That they would refuse to let us help.”

“But now the need to help is too strong to reject,” Taekwoon took over, “we can no longer stand by and watch people suffer. Watch the news report attacks and deaths that we could prevent if we were there defending the people.”

“You bring up the people rejecting you,” Youngji said, clearly hesitant to talk about the subject, “What do you have to say about the reason they turned their backs on you?”

“Over the last ten years,” Taekwoon said, not trusting Hakyeon to be level headed about this topic, “I, as well as other members of our family, have been looking into what happened. the things we were accused of doing.”

“And what have you found?” she questioned, curiosity making her drop her profession reporter act just a little.

“There were members of our family who turned against us,” Taekwoon explained, “who joined up with an enemy who wanted us out of the way.”

“Who were they?” Youngji pressed, “Who were they working for?”

“Not telling you gives us the advantage in our fight against our enemies,” Hakyeon said before Taekwoon could answer, “if the mole don’t know for sure that we know, they’ll slip up and expose themselves to everyone. If our enemy isn’t sure we know exactly who or where they are, they might slip up as well when they try to find out how much we know.”

It was a bluff. They didn’t actually know who had them or who their enemy was. But if the enemy thought they did………

“I understand,” Youngji nodded, clearly unhappy about not getting names even if she did get why, “but you realize that by not giving names it takes away some of the credibility of your story.”

“We know,” Hakyeon nodded, “but that is the truth and we hope that the public can trust our word.”

“After how Overwatch ended the first time,” Youngji asked, “how can you expect the people to trust you?”

“We don’t,” Hakyeon replied, “not right away. We have to earn their trust, just like when Overwatch was first created. The people didn’t trust us to protect them then, and they don’t trust us to protect them now. By doing our job of protecting them, we gained their trust and we will do the same again.”

“As the first move to gaining their trust,” Taekwoon said, reaching up and removing the device he was using to hide his real face, “No Overwatch members are going to hide their faces anymore.” Taekwoon looking right into to the camera, giving everyone a good look at his face, “I am Jung Taekwoon, the second in command of Overwatch.”

“You,” Youngji tried to say something, anything, but her shock over what was going on robbed her of all words.

“I will not be revealing my name nor face right now,” Hakyeon said, “and all other Overwatch members will be giving out their own names in time.”

“Why?” Youngji finally asked.

“We want the people’s trust,” Hakyeon told her, “and doing this…..it shows that we have nothing to hide.”

“Right,” she nodded, still a little shocked by the reveal. Trying to compose herself once more, she looked down at her notes, trying to find another question to ask the pair.

A/N:I was looking over my ‘to write’ list and this one popped right out at me. I think it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.