Let Him Go

Overwatch

Honestly, Wonho found it pretty silly how quickly he’d developed a crush on Sanghyuk. He suspected that his feelings for the fly boy had started way back on day one when he’d knocked into him. Before he’d run off like the socially awkward loser he was, he’d caught sight of Sanghyuk’s smile and instantly felt his heart pounding loudly. The other man’s smile was just…..it was adorable. It lit up his face and made his eyes sparkle.

When Sanghyuk introduced himself, Wonho felt pretty darn intimidated. Not only was Sanghyuk a highly skilled pilot, but he also had time powers. And Wonho was just a normal human who could build things. He wasn’t anything special, there was no way Sanghyuk could ever look at him. It left Wonho feeling completely dejected and he wasn’t exactly subtle about it. It gave I.M a great deal of joy, the younger enjoying teasing the elder about his crush far too much for Wonho’s like.

It was a joke that several of their other friends liked to take part in, too. It wasn’t like there was that many other things they could tease Wonho over. Well, that was a lie. Wonho knew he’d given them lots of other things to about, his crush on Sanghyuk was simply their favorite. And it seemed to get even funnier to them when Shownu ended up partnered to Sanghyuk. Or maybe that was because Wonho had obviously been jealous of his friend when he heard about the team up.

The teasing got worse when Wonho started working on a plane for Sanghyuk. Shownu had told him about how Sanghyuk had given up flying because of his powers and it became his mission in life to correct this problem. He’d seen Sanghyuk looking at the planes resting in the Overwatch hanger, he saw that longing look on the other man’s face. He’d rushed off to start work on the aircraft, even going to Wonsik and begging him for all his research that had lead to Sanghyuk’s time powers.

Wonsik wasn’t exactly his favorite person in the world. Not because they had gotten into a fight or anything. No, Wonho disliked Wonsik because he was to blame for Sanghyuk’s powers, for his inability to fly. Add in what a boyfriend Wonsik had been and why on earth wouldn’t Wonho hate him. Wonsik had exactly what Wonho wanted; a loving, wonderful boyfriend named Han Sanghyuk. And he messed it all up! Shownu disliked Wonsik for the same reasons, but came at it from a ‘you hurt my brother’ perspective. Honestly, if it wasn’t for all that, they could have probably been friends

Anyway, it was worth begging Wonsik for his notes and dealing with all the teasing from his friends. When Sanghyuk saw the first prototype………it made everything worth it. The grounded fly boy had cried and whispered ‘thank you’ over and over again, smiling so wide and so happily that it felt like Wonho’s heart had stopped and speed up to light speed all at the same time. If he wasn’t already hopelessly in love with Sanghyuk, that moment would have done it. He still felt he wasn’t good enough for the other man, but it made him happy to know that what he had done made Sanghyuk happy.

He had given Sanghyuk his wings back.

Sanghyuk – and Hongbin – started to hang out with the group more and more after that. Wonho really liked that he was Sanghyuk’s friend. When the other man called him such, it sent a wave of pleasure through his body and made him smile proudly. But it also made him want more. Wonho had always told himself that he wasn’t good enough for Sanghyuk, but being so close to him all the time made him think differently. It made him wonder if maybe, just maybe, he was good enough.

And then Wonho realized something that crushed his heart.

The group of nine had been in the lounge on the fifth floor of the base, celebrating a successful mission, when Hakyeon and Taekwoon had passed by on their way to their rooms. Wonho almost hadn’t caught it, but the fact of the matter was that he had. He saw the way Sanghyuk looked at Hakyeon. It was the same way he looked at Sanghyuk. It took all of half a second for Wonho to realize that Sanghyuk had feelings for Hakyeon.

It took more strength then Wonho had known he had to excuse himself and make it to his room before breaking down. He hadn’t been the only one who noticed apparently because Shownu showed up an hour or so later with beer and the pair got faced. As they drank, Shownu admitted to having a suspicion about Sanghyuk’s feelings for weeks. He apologized for not mentioning anything to Wonho, but the builder assured him that it was fine.

“I get why,” Wonho had sighed after taking a long drink from his beer, “of course Sanghyuk would like Hakyeon. They’re both amazing people. Strong and talented and amazing.”

“You’re amazing, too,” Shownu had said, “you’re strong and talented, too.”

“Not like them,” was the reply, “not enough to be good enough for Sanghyuk.”

It was a couple of weeks later when Wonho found out about Hakyeon’s feelings. It took Shownu, Kihyun, and I.M to keep him from going to Hakyeon’s office and knocking him upside the head with the first thing he could grab. Wonho just couldn’t understand how Hakyeon couldn’t like Sanghyuk in return. No, instead he liked Wonsik. Stupid. ing. Wonsik. How could Hakyeon pick Wonsik over Sanghyuk? Was he blind? Or just that stupid?

Even worse, Sanghyuk had realized Hakyeon’s feelings and Wonho couldn’t stand to see his crush looking so hurt. It broke him to see Sanghyuk’s smile looking a little forced when he spotted Hakyeon, his eyes looking a bit dull when he watched the leader and his ex talking. He wanted nothing more than to pull Sanghyuk away, drag him off to someplace where he wouldn’t have to see Hakyeon flirting with Wonsik.

When he found out about Hakyeon’s date with Wonsik, his friends had locked him in his room to keep him from doing something he’d later regret. He’d scoffed at that, assured them that he really wouldn’t regret smacking Hakyeon around a little bit. The next day, Wonho had gone to great lengths to stay by Sanghyuk’s side, acting as a buffer against Hakyeon’s attempts to talk to the fly boy. Sanghyuk had appreciated it, whispering his thanks when the pair had been headed to the training room to meet up with Shownu. Wonho had just smiled and told him that is was no big deal.

For weeks after that, Wonho had bent over backwards to cheer Sanghyuk up. Sometimes that meant doing everything he could to make Sanghyuk laugh, other times it meant working to keep distance between Sanghyuk and Hakyeon. Sanghyuk was grateful for it, though he admitted that he probably shouldn’t be doing that second thing. Running from Hakyeon like that was childish and he was a bad person for making Wonho be part of that. He shouldn’t be shying away from Hakyeon, the leader hadn’t done anything wrong after all. But Sanghyuk’s heart hurt and if it helped.…..

There was one unfortunate side effect of this.

Well, it was unfortunate depended on who you asked.

You see, because of the distance between Hakyeon and Sanghyuk, Hakyeon realized his feelings. He came to the understanding that whatever he felt for Wonsik was nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to what he felt for Sanghyuk. So Hakyeon asked Sanghyuk out. And Sanghyuk said yes.

It broke Wonho’s heart, but strangely not as much as he thought it would. Maybe it was a sign that he was getting over his crush. Or maybe that just showed how much he loved Sanghyuk. He loved the other so much that so long as Sanghyuk was happy, so was he. If dating Hakyeon made Sanghyuk happy, Wonho would smile and watch them be happy together.

So long as Sanghyuk was happy, Wonho would let him go.

A/N: I’m kind of mixed on this. Overall, I like it. But at the same time, the little voice in the back of my mind is like “this is crap. You should change it” and it’s kind of hard to shut that voice up.