Not Broken

Overwatch

“Hakyeon!” Sanghyuk yelled, throwing open the door of their room and looking around for his husband.

“Sanghyuk?” Hakyeon asked, exiting the bathroom quickly, “what’s wrong?” he didn’t see any signs of harm on the other, so that ruled out being injured. He hadn’t heard any sounds that would indicate that the base was under attack either.

“Jaehwan told me,” Sanghyuk growled, “he told me what you said to him.”

“Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon said after a long sigh, about to justify himself.

“No!” Sanghyuk yelled, getting right in Hakyeon’s face and pinning him against the nearest wall, “don’t you dare try to justify what you’ve done. How dare you! How dare you just……just sell our marriage short like that. How dare you encourage someone to try stealing me from you like our marriage means nothing.” Sanghyuk pulled away, tears starting to form in his eyes and his voice losing some of the anger in favor of sadness, “do what we have mean so little to you? Our marriage so unimportant that you’d just……just do something like this?”

“No,” Hakyeon rushed to comfort the other, feeling horrible that his lover was crying because of his words and actions, “I love you. I love you so much and I’m so happy to call you my husband.”

“Then why?” Sanghyuk said, shoving Hakyeon’s hands away while trying to wipe the tears cascading down his face, “why would you do something like this, Hakyeon? If you’re so happy, why would you tell Jaehwan to try to steal me away? That you wouldn’t fight to keep me if he tried? If you love me so much, if you’re happy with me, you wouldn’t do that.”

“I’ve hurt you so much,” Hakyeon said, feeling tears starting to run down his own face at the knowledge that he’d hurt his lover, “over the past ten years. All the times I came home hurt, all the times I made you move when you’d only just gotten fully moved in.” Hakyeon bit his lip before continuing, “I’m the reason you don’t have kids yet.”

“Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk started to argue.

“I know you want them,” Hakyeon pressed, “I know you, Sanghyuk. You want kids and you should have had some ages ago. But me…….I’m keeping you from that.”

“Are you stupid?” Sanghyuk asked, his anger returning but not as violent, “do you honestly think you’ve kept me from that? I hate to break it to you Hakyeon, but I don’t let people keep me from what I want. I’m not some……some weak willed . If I really, really wanted kids the way you think I do, then I’d have them.”

“Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon huffed, “stop it. I know that wanting look you get when you see kids. I know what it means.”

“I do want kids,” Sanghyuk explained, “but not now. I’m not ready for them right now. I mean, did I ever mention anything to you about them? No, never.” Sanghyuk sighed, “god damn it, I married a ing moron.”

“I’m keeping you from a normal life,” Hakyeon said, “you could have spent the last ten years being normal. Like Jimin or Jong Kook. Or Hongbin! You could have lived life like everyone else. But because of me you were stuck with one foot in both worlds.” He was trying desperately to prove that he was right and had done the right thing even though he’d done nothing but mess everything up. Hakyeon knew that and so did Sanghyuk.

“I didn’t want a normal life,” Sanghyuk snapped, “and even if I did, it’s not like I could actually have one. Open your ing eyes, Hakyeon. I’m Flashback. I have time powers. I haven’t been normal since I was nineteen. And, again, do you think I’m a weak ? If I want something bad enough, I go for it.”

“You aren’t weak,” Hakyeon said, “I don’t think that. I just……I’m scared.”

“No ,” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes, anger giving out once again. Hakyeon knew if he said anything stupid, it would return just as fierce. Maybe even more so.

“I just want you happy,” Hakyeon finally pulled Sanghyuk into a hug, resting his head against his husband’s shoulder, “and I was scared that I’d hadn’t been making you happy. I just……I saw how you laughed with the others and I couldn’t remember the last time I’d made you laugh like that. I just remember forced smiles and shoulders shaking with silent sobs. Do you know how many times I heard you crying at night when you thought I was already asleep or already out?”

“Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk sighed sadly, hugging the other tighter, “baby, I……I am happy with you. I love you. And, yeah, the last few years…….they have been hard. I have forced a lot of smiled and I have cried a lot. But that’s not on you.”

“Yes it is,” Hakyeon grumbled sadly, “I caused all of that.”

“It’s the fault of the people who us,” Sanghyuk said, “the people who broke Overwatch. Who hurt our family.” Sanghyuk paused, “who broke you.”

“My actions are my own,” Hakyeon said, pulling back so he could look Sanghyuk in the eye, “I could have dealt with what happened better. Everyone else sure did.”

“We all handle things differently,” Sanghyuk replied, “you know that.”

“Doesn’t justify what I put you through,” Hakyeon argued, “for ten years, I put you through a hell of a lot of crap, Sanghyuk.”

“And I knew I could leave any time I wanted to,” Sanghyuk scowled, “and I’m still here, so what does that tell you?” He paused, considering is next words, “do you remember when I went to my mother’s for a couple of months? I said it was because she’d fallen and hurt herself so she needed someone to look after her for a while.”

“Yeah,” Hakyeon nodded, slowly realizing what the other was getting at.

“I’d been doing the whole wait at home while you play masked hero thing for three years,” Sanghyuk said, “I was just……I was so sick of it. Sick of not knowing if you were alive or not, if you were hurt or in once piece. So I went to stay with my mom for a while to, ya know, take a break. And it was……it was kind of nice. Not having to see you put on your uniform and mask and head out pretty much every night. My mom encouraged me to go out and live a little, have some fun. So I did. And that was kind of nice too.”

“Sanghyuk.”

“It got me thinking,” Sanghyuk kept going, ignoring the other, “about living like that. I spent a lot of time thinking about it. About just……just staying there and living like that. But you know what happened? I realized that I would miss you too much. That I would miss our life together too much. That I wasn’t happy without you. I realized that living like that…..I don’t want that. I want to be with you doing……whatever. I’m happy just being with you.”

“Baby,” Hakyeon said, pulling Sanghyuk into a kiss, “baby, I’m so sorry.”

“I know,” Sanghyuk nodded, “it’s not your fault you’re a selfless, self-sacrificing idiot.”

“I love you so much,” Hakyeon whispered, hugging Sanghyuk tightly, “I’m so, so sorry, baby.”

“You aren’t one hundred percent forgiven,” Sanghyuk told the other, pulling away so he could look Hakyeon in the eye, “I’m still really hurt that you did what you did, that you thought I would be happy without you. But we’re going to work on this. We’re going to get over this. We’re going to be stronger for it.”

“Yeah,” Hakyeon nodded, “yeah, we’re going to be ok.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

A/N: I hope this turned out ok. I ended up doing a fair bit of editing on this trying to get it just right (lots of writing one thing, going back and changing it ‘cuz I hated it). I really hope it did turn out alright. And I do really like that they aren’t 100% ok, that they still have more to work on and talk about. ‘cuz I don’t think that the big relationship problems are fixed with just one heart to heart. They take several talks and lots of work. And, I mean, relationships in general need lots of work and communication or they fall apart. Clearly, Sanghyuk and Hakyeon kind of dropped the ball a little on that, so *shrug* now they realize it and can fix it.