We're Back

Overwatch

“I’m Heo Youngji,” the reporter said, “and we’re reporting live from JPMorgan Chase & Co where it is being reported that there is a major robbery in progress.”

“What can you see, Youngji?” one of the news anchors back at the studio asked.

“The police appear to be surrounding the building,” she replied, looking behind her to double check, “from what I’ve overheard, they’re attempting to make contact with the robbers inside. They’re hoping that these people are willing to make a deal for the lives of the hostages inside.”

“Do you--!” the anchor’s question was cut off by a large blast and a temporary loss of contact with the camera man.

When the feed came back up a few minutes of panic later, Youngji was ordering her camera man to leave. He was refusing to do so, to leave her behind, but she was determined and he eventually gave in. Like she said, he had a wife and children to think about. Back at the studio, everyone was freaking out trying to find a way to communicate with the reporter so that the studio head could order her to leave as well. But Youngji had lost or removed any device they could use to contact her and she was determined to get this story. Even if it cost her life.

“It seems that the robbers have lost interest in the money,” Youngji said, wiping blood and dirt from her face as she tried to move closer and get a good angle for the camera, “they look to be more interested in….in killing the police!” The camera watched Youngji’s horrified reaction to the robbers, two crazy looking men, murdering any cop that crossed their path.

“Youngji!” the anchor, Seungyeon, screamed, so very scared of her friend’s life, “Youngji….please…..” the anchor dissolved into sobbing, something many others in the studio were doing.

“Oh my…..oh my god,” Youngji’s eyes suddenly widened and she turned to camera to see what was going on.

Everyone watching the news report froze as a flash of blue zipped around, hitting one of the robbers from different angles. Every couple of seconds, you could clearly see a man at the center of the blue energy.  A massive gorilla focused on beating down the larger of the two crooks. Even though it had been ten years, everyone still knew exactly who these people were.

Flashback and Lab Monkey.

“You shouldn’t be here.”

Youngji started as a hand grabbed her shoulder and turned her around. She quickly recognized the gold and white armor and metal wings and grabbed madly for her camera so that everyone else could see Mercy.

“You--!” Youngji gasped, trying to figure out what to say.

“Come on,” Mercy smiled, holding out a hand, “let’s get you out of here.”

“No!” she cried, “I need the story…the people need to know what’s happening!”

“Well,” Mercy glanced around, taking note of how the fight and rescue effort was going, “I need to get you out of harm’s way.” he flashed her a smile before grabbing her, “so being in the air above the battle should cover both your needs and mine.”

Youngji couldn’t help but cry out as they took to the air, not at all happy to be so high up. Mercy just smiled kindly, taking the camera from her and filming the fight below. The fight itself didn’t last for much longer, Flashback and Lab Monkey were far superior to the goons that they were fighting.

“Time to land,” Mercy said, slowly lowering them to the ground, “fights over and more cops are going to be here soon.”

“You’re….you’re really Mercy, aren’t you?” Youngji asked once Mercy had let her go and handed over the camera, “and….that’s the real Flashback and Lab Monkey.”

“It’s us,” Mercy nodded.

“Why?” Youngji couldn’t help asking, “Why are you back? After all this time……after how things ended…..why are you back?”

“We’re sick of seeing the world burn,” Flashback said, suddenly appearing beside Mercy, “after everything we gave to protect the people, there was no way we were gonna just stand by and watch that happen.”

“Point the camera here,” a new voice joined the group and Youngji was startled to see someone who was dressed very similarly to someone she knew was supposed to be dead.

The man….he was dressed in the same jacket that the leader of Overwatch had always worn. However, unlike N, this man had graying hair and a mask that covered his face from his hairline to his chin leaving nothing exposed that could be used to identify him.

“W-what?” Youngji questioned, “Why? Who are you?”

“I’m just a soldier,” the man replied, “so call me that.”

“He’s our leader,” Flashback said, moving to stand beside the other man and Youngji winced at what he’d called the man.

She still recalled the media coverage for Flashback and N’s wedding. She remembered because she’d been there, hunting down any leads and getting held back by the security that had been hired. She’d still gotten a look at Flashback’s face. He’d looked so happy, so overjoyed to be getting married to the love of his life. She had always thought that the leader and the time manipulator were perfect together.

And then N was killed.

She’d been there for that, too. She’d actually been allowed into the event this time and she…..she really wished that she hadn’t. Youngji had never lost faith in Overwatch. Even with all the news coming out about them, even when it seemed like everyone else wanted them gone, she still had faith. And on that day she saw the members of Overwatch broken beyond words. On that day, she’d watched as Flashback just stood there silently, eyes glued to the ground and mouth frozen shut as silent tears streamed down his face. His friend and partner Shownu had been right beside him, serving as a bodyguard against the stupid reporters who wanted to ask how Flashback was feeling.

Youngji hadn’t tried to get close to the grieving man, had too much empathy to make his life worse with questions. Instead she approached Leo and asked him to convey her condolences to Flashback and the rest of Overwatch. The second in command thanked her, looking more than a little grateful that she wasn’t acting like all the other reporters who just wanted a story and didn’t seem to care that Overwatch was holding a funeral for one of their friends.

She’d left after that, but on her way out she’d caught sight of a hysterical Flashback sobbing into Shownu’s arms, the other man clearly at a loss on how to help his friend.

Even after ten years to grieve for his lost leader and husband, having to call someone else Overwatch’s leader had to be one of the most painful things he had ever done.

“We have a message,” the man, Soldier, said, pulling Youngji back into the present, “for the world.”

“Right,” she nodded, making sure that she would be getting this message from the best angle possible.

“We are Overwatch,” Soldier said once he got the nod to speak, “We are the defenders of Earth, of those who call it home. We will no longer sit back and watch as people like the ones responsible for this attack run wild. We will protect the people as we did years ago. You have my word.” With that said, Soldier turned and left, the others following close behind.

Youngji found herself smiling, Soldiers words filling her with hope she hadn’t felt in years.

All over the world, hundreds of people felt that same hope too.

A/N: this didn’t work out exactly as I’d envisioned it, but I’m still happy with the end result. It’s also nice to see that some people – people not related to Overwatch members – didn’t lose faith in them when things went south. I really think that I needed to show that since I sure made it seem like the whole world hated Overwatch.