Medic

Overwatch

“Got another appointment for you,” Hongbin’s receptionist said, dropping several files on his desk with a sigh, “or twelve.”

“This is getting out of control,” Hongbin frowned, “how many transfers does that make this week?”

“Lost count,” she admitted, “that man…….if it wasn’t for you, we’d be losing people.”

“Thank goodness for that,” Hongbin sighed.

After Overwatch was disbanded, Hongbin had decided to return to his former work; a regular old doctor. He’d found a practice in Italy that would take him and that was that. He had a job in his field and that was more then he could say for some people he’d worked with. Sanghyuk for example. Or Taekwoon. Both of them had loved their work in the military, but with how things turned out……..well, that became something they could no longer do.

So Hongbin was lucky.

Heck, even if he was finding his work increasingly…….uninteresting………predictable……..unfulfilling…….

He was still lucky.

Alright, so Hongbin missed the good old days when he was still part of Overwatch. Every day seemed to bring something new. A new injury to treat, a new medical tool to try, or a new adventure to make his life interesting. His new life didn’t have any of that and sometimes it got to him. It really, really got to him. But again; at least he was still practicing medicine.

Oh, and there was also the challenge that was his new partner. His old one had recently retired and left his half of the practice to his son. His son was………well, he had graduated from medical school. That counted for something, right? Sure, it might not make up for his horrible bedside manner that had the power to drive patients away, but at least he knew what he was doing. For the most part.

“I need a vacation,” Hongbin sighed, glaring at the mountain of patient files resting on his desk, “a long one.”

Suddenly, Hongbin’s cell phone went off. He didn’t recognize the ringtone, but something told him he should. However the overworked doctor just brushed the feeling off and answered the phone.

“Hello?” Hongbin asked, half expecting it was his receptionist telling him she was coming back with a couple more files.

“I’m looking for Lee Hongbin,” the voice on the phone said and Hongbin froze, “is this him?”

“Y-yes,” Hongbin rushed to make sure no one was around to hear before locking his office door and returning his attention to his phone, “Yes, it’s me. Wonsik, it’s been a while.”

“It has,” Wonsik sighed, clearly relieved that he had the right information, “I was a little worried my database wasn’t up to date and I was talking to someone else. You sound kind of different.”

“Tired,” Hongbin explained, “I’m…..I’m tired.”

“I get that,” Wonsik hummed and Hongbin knew that he wasn’t just saying that. “Do you know why I’m calling?”

“Recall?” Hongbin questioned. That was what that ringtone meant, right?

He knew that a recall meant he’d have to kiss his new life goodbye, but……he missed his Overwatch days so much. He missed making a visible difference in people’s lives. He missed saving lives because now all he did was give yearly medical exams and look at his patients’ test results. He missed his family most of all and a recall meant he was getting them back.

“Yeah,” Wonsik replied, “you’re the first one I called to be honest. The computer generated a random call list and I’m just working from that.”

“What convinced you to finally call?” Hongbin asked, thinking of all the news stories the past year. All the death and rioting and buildings being leveled. Wonsik had to have seen all of that too, so why not then? Why now?

“There was an attack on my lab,” Wonsik admitted, “I took them out, but……”

“But?”

“But they were after my files,” Wonsik sighed, “my files about Overwatch. Specifically, the files pertaining to the locations of all former Overwatch agents.”

“Oh,” Hongbin couldn’t help but shiver at the idea that someone was hunting them, “do you know who?”

“No,” Wonsik replied, “but we can figure that out later, once we’re all together.” Wonsik paused, “you….you’re coming back, right?”

“Once I turn in my resignation notice and pack my stuff,” Hongbin grinned, “I’ll be on the first plane to you.”

“Good.”

“I’ll call you tomorrow, alright?” Hongbin said, “Make sure you’re doing ok with contacting everyone.”

“Sounds good.”

The pair hung up and Hongbin got started on his resignation. He couldn’t wait to see everyone again, but he wondered if he actually would see them again. Ten years was a long time, it was possible that some former Overwatch members had died. It was also possible that some would get Wonsik’s call and decide that they weren’t going to return, that they were happy being normal people. If that was the case, then they might need to do some recruiting to get their numbers back up.

And Hongbin knew the perfect place to start.

A/N: when I first started, I planned for this to be more along the lines of “what Hongbin was doing pre-Overwatch”. I mean, we know what Sanghyuk and Wonsik were doing. We know what Hakyeon and Taekwoon were up to. But not Hongbin. But as I started writing, it turned into this.