Overwatch Will Always Be There

Overwatch

“For years, Overwatch has been the heroes that the world needed,” the tour guide said, leading the large groups of school children through the Overwatch museum, “even when the world them, they were still ready and willing to fight for us.”

“Wow,” a young boy gasped, moving away from the rest of the group, “Flashback’s guns.”

“Look over there,” his friend said, pulling him over to another exhibit, “its Mercy’s prototype arm!”

“You guys know those aren’t their real names, right?” a third child scoffed, trailing after the two young boys as they wandered away from the rest of the group.

“We know,” the second boy scowled at her, “but their codenames are cooler.”

“Whatever,” she scoffed, “all this stuff is lame.”

“What?” the first boy snapped, turning to glare at her, “none of this stuff is lame! It’s Overwatch’s stuff! It’s history!”

“It’s junk,” she rolled her eyes, “that’s why it’s here. Overwatch didn’t want it anymore. I mean, that arm back there? It’s just a prototype for crying out loud!”

“It’s a part of our history.”

The children turned, eyes widening in shock when they found themselves face to face with Hakyeon and Sanghyuk. The couple wasn’t in their uniforms and Sanghyuk was holding their youngest child, the other two peeking out from behind their parent’s legs, signaling that they weren’t there for business but to have a fun day with their family.

“Y-You-r-!” the first boy started to say.

“N and Flashback!” the second yelled, a huge grin taking over his face, “you’re here! You’re really here!”

“It’s us,” Sanghyuk smiled kindly at the children, shifting his hold on the baby girl in his arms.

“This stuff isn’t junk,” Hakyeon told the little girl, trying not to glare at the child, “this stuff…….every piece of it means a lot to us. To our friends. It’s all pieces of Overwatch’s story, its legacy. It is not junk and it never will be.”

“I’m sorry,” the little girl couldn’t do anything but apologize, feeling bad about what she’s said after hearing how much passion Hakyeon had put into his words.

“I know,” Hakyeon smiled slightly, feeling just a little bad about making the kid sad since she hadn’t meant to be rude or mean, “just promise not to do it again, alright?”

“I promise,” the girl said, smiling slightly when Hakyeon moved forewords to ruffle her hair.

“Why don’t you kids rejoin the tour,” Sanghyuk suggested, “I’m sure you’re missing out on something really interesting.”

“Yeah,” the kids nodded before rushing off to rejoin the tour group.

The couple smiled softly, watching the children leave for a moment before returning to their attention to their own children.

“This is the experiment that gave daddy his powers,” Sanghyuk told his children pointing to a burnt hunk of metal sitting in a display case.

“Did it hurt?” his oldest son asked.

“Nope,” Sanghyuk grinned, “there was a big boom and then I had my powers.”

The little girl that Hakyeon had scolded paused, looking back at the happy family. The children laughed happily as the parents shared their memories with them. She smiled slightly before leaving to catch up with her friends, passing a screen playing an old Overwatch advertisement video.

But remember one thing,” the video said, “no matter what, Overwatch will always be there.”

A/N: and that ending is so cheesy it’s kind of painful hahahaha. But now we’re at the end and……wow. This story is finally done. It’s a bitter sweet feeling for sure. Now I need to figure out what my next big, solo writing project is going to be.