Goodbye

Overwatch

“So,” Wonsik said, taking the empty seat across from Sanghyuk

“What’s up?” Sanghyuk asked, glancing around to make sure no one was paying attention. If what he thought was about to happen was right……well, he didn’t want people to watch and start gossiping about it.

“You’re dating Hakyeon?” Wonsik asked after taking a moment to think about how he should word his question.

“Yes.”

“Oh.”

Wonsik looked down at the table, unsure of how he should feel, let alone respond.

Sanghyuk wasn’t far off in saying that Wonsik wanted to restart their relationship. He did. He loved Sanghyuk just like he had the day he confessed. Why wouldn’t he? Sanghyuk was still the same wonderful, kind, brilliant man that he was back then. The only difference between the Sanghyuk sitting before him and the one he confessed to was that the one before him had a time distortion ability.

Wonsik wanted a chance to prove that he still loved Sanghyuk with all his heart. He wanted to experience a relationship with Sanghyuk. He was ashamed to admit that he hadn’t really done that when they dated, he was far too caught up in his work to really enjoy being with Sanghyuk. Every date and kiss and touch had been over shadowed by Wonsik planning his next experiment or test.

But then….he hadn’t really changed much had he? He still got caught up in his work to the point that everything – everything – else took a backseat. He knew that if he got a second chance with Sanghyuk, it would probably end the same; countless missed dates, forgotten anniversaries, and a lot of suffering from Sanghyuk. Wonsik knew that the self that he currently was…...…

He couldn’t put Sanghyuk through that again.

He loved him too much to repeat the actions that hurt Sanghyuk the first time.

He wanted the best for Sanghyuk and he knew that Hakyeon was exactly that; the best.

But Wonsik was just a little bit selfish. He’d loved Sanghyuk first. He’d had Sanghyuk’s love first. He’d been Sanghyuk’s first everything. Sure, it wasn’t like Wonsik felt that this made him….entitled or something to Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk was a human and he belonged to no one. It was just…….he’d known Sanghyuk since they were children. He’d been by Sanghyuk’s side as they had discovered who they were as people and found what they wanted to do with their lives.

So much of his life contained the words “me and Sanghyuk” or “Sanghyuk and I.” How could anyone expect him to just……..let go and move on from that? How could anyone blame him for not being ready for Sanghyuk to move on? Who could blame him for hating Hakyeon a little bit for coming in out of nowhere and finding a way to Sanghyuk’s heart?

“I’m happy for you,” Wonsik finally said, silently praying that it sounded like he meant it one hundred percent.

“Thank you,” Sanghyuk smiled, a knowing look in his eyes that told Wonsik that Sanghyuk knew every thought going through his head.

“Hey,” Hakyeon called as he started making his way over, “Wonsik, how are you? Are you joining us for lunch?”

“I’m alright,” Wonsik nodded slightly in greeting, “and I’m afraid not. I’ve got some tests I need to run. I just stopped by to ask Sanghyuk a question. Have a good meal.” And with that Wonsik left as quickly as he could.

“Did I do something to upset him?” Hakyeon asked as he sat down, pressing a kiss to Sanghyuk’s cheek after getting settled.

“No,” Sanghyuk sighed, “he wanted to clarify that we were together. I told him that we were and he said that he was happy for me.”

“Ah,” Hakyeon nodded in understanding, “is he?”

“He will be in time,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly.

“You two have a lot of history,” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “are you……are you sure you don’t feel anything for him still?”

“Positive,” Sanghyuk nodded, pressing a kiss to Hakyeon’s lips, “the only one I have feelings for right now is sitting beside me.”

Wonsik peeked through the cafeteria doors just in time to witness that kiss. Smiling sadly to himself he headed back to his lab, whispering ‘goodbye, Hyukkie’ as he walked away. It would take time to completely move on, just as Sanghyuk had said, but he would.

Sanghyuk was happy and Wonsik was happy for him.

It was just…..right now his heart felt like it was dying.

A/N: I really think I butchered Wonsik’s thoughts about how it was hard to move on from Sanghyuk. But over all I liked this one a lot and its one of those “I need to write this” pieces. Like, the second I decided “Wonsik and Sanghyuk used to date” I knew that this little goodbye needed to happen and I’m so happy that it worked out pretty much exactly as I wanted it to.