Another Friend Gone

Life or Death

Weeks after Kris and Luhan visited Xiumin's grave, things have changed only a bit. Kris was coming home earlier than usual and would spend a lot of time with him which made Luhan very happy, but then they were greeted by an unpleasant surprise. Kris was in the bathroom styling his hair while Luhan was watching television in the living room in his pajamas, eating popcorn. There was frantic knocking at the door, catching Luhan and Kris off guard. Kris ran to the door and opened it to be met with a distraught Tao, who looked like he's been crying. Luhan had gotten up from his spot with his bucket of popcorn still in his hands. Kris closed the door slightly so Luhan couldn't see much.

    "Zitao?" Kris was concerned.

Tao was incoherent as he tried explaining what happened. Kris stepped out into the hall closing the door behind him, leaving Luhan to be curious. Luhan stepped closer and pressed his ear against the door, trying to listen to the conversation.

    "Calm down and tell me what's wrong." Luhan managed to hear, past his chewing of popcorn.

    "Yi-Yifan." Tao choked.

    "What wrong? What happened, Zitao?" Panic laced in Kris's voice.

Luhan stopped eating popcorn and paid closer attention, what about Chen?

    "Jon-Jongdae....H-He's... G-gone." Tao cried.

Kris's eyes widened in shock as he fell against the door.Luhan dropped his bucket of popcorn and stumbled backwards. Kris and Tao heard a thud in the apartment and quickly entered to find Luhan passed out in the floor, popcorn scattered everywhere.

    "Luhan?!" Kris exclaimed.

Chen couldn't be gone, Luhan just talked to him a few days ago and he sounded perfectly fine or so he thought. Xiumin's gone and now Chen... What else is going to happen? When Luhan opened his eyes, Kris was laying beside him in bed. He sat up, looking around the dark room and wondered if it was all a dream. He knew it wasn't when he saw Tao sleeping on the couch when he went to get a drink of water. Luhan stopped when he walked past the refrigerator, and bit his lip. He backed up and took off a picture of all 12 of them together, they were all smiling in front of Xiumin's cafe on its opening day, breaking his heart. He thought after Xiumin's passing they would grow stronger but that was the complete opposite of what he hoped for. Xiumin was probably disappointed in all of them because of their decisions to separate. He still can't forget the expressions on their faces, like they didn't know what to do or what was going to happen. Carefully he put it in his pocket only to remember about the other piece of paper. He pulled it out and frowned as there was only a name but no number, who was Yeon Ni? Footsteps were heard in the hall causing him to put the piece of paper in his mouth. Not a smart thing to do. Kris entered the kitchen and smiled at Luhan. Immediately Luhan noticed the cut mark on Kris's cheek and was conflicted with emotion.

    "I'm glad you're up." Kris looked more relieved than happy.

Luhan nodded and tried to think of a way to get rid of the paper in his mouth. He grabbed a cup and filled it water, bringing it up to his mouth.

    "So... Do you want to go to Jongdae's funeral?" Kris spoke in a low voice.

At that moment Luhan began to choke on the water and paper, but managed to get it to go down. Note to self, never eat paper again.

    "So it wasn't a dream." Luhan's mood went south.

    "Yeah, I'm sorry...." Kris stared at the ground, "I was just wondering because I wouldn't push you go to another funeral after Xiumin's, it might reopen old wounds."

    "Jongdae was my friend too," Luhan gripped his cup tight, "What kind of friend would I be if I didn't go?"

Kris nodded and pursed his lip for a second, like something was on his mind. He seemed to shrug it off because he told Luhan he was going back to bed. Luhan sighed after Kris left, being grateful that he didn't get caught. He put the cup into the sink and saw it fall to pieces.

    "What the..."

Luhan went to reach for the pieces but they began to move with his hand. He pulled his hand back in panic and they stayed in the sink. Did he break his cup and it somehow retained its shape? How he wishes it was an actual dream.