The Start of Kris' Struggles

Life or Death

11:57 a.m.

Kris was asleep while Luhan went out for some errands, when his phone started to vibrate.  Groggily, he picked up the phone to look at the caller id. It's was an unknown number, how odd.

    "Hello?" He answered, still half asleep.

    "Yifan!"

    "Zitao?" Kris sat up in bed and rubbing the sleep out of his eye.

    "I need your assistance." Tao sounded panicked.

    "Are you alright? What's wrong?" He gripped his phone tight.

    "Can you met me at the Xiumin's cafe?"

    "That place has been abandoned for 2 years, Z. Why there?" Kris rose an eyebrow.

    "Please!" Tao urged.

    "Alright alright. Let me tell Lu-"

    "Don't tell Luhan! Just don't, I'll explain everything when you get here." Tao instructed.

    "Ok, I'll meet you there." He hung up.

Why would Tao want to met up at Xiumin's cafe? He's been gone for several years but Yixing would've at least told him they shut it down. He got dressed and left Luhan a note saying he would be back in a while.

12:00 p.m.

He drove down to the familiar building, thinking about all of the memories they've had there. Once he exited his car he quickly noticed Tao by the alley, with the same bags under his eyes.

    "Hey Taozi!" Kris called.

    "Fan fan ge ge." Tao smiled.

    "What brings you back to Bejing? I thought you and Jongdae decided to live in a small town." Kris hugged Tao.

    "Well you know, things change." Tao smiled sadly as they pulled away.

    "Yeah, so why'd you call me here?" Kris slipped his hands in his pants pockets.

    "Please don't hate me, Kris. I had no choice." Tao's face turned serious making Kris feel uneasy.

    "W-Why would I hate you, Tao? You're my best friend." Kris stuttered a bit.

    "Say nothing to Luhan or you'll end up like me, Yifan."

Kris felt a blow to the back of his head and he fell unconscious.

4:36 p.m.

For what seemed like hours he began to hear monitors beeping and he felt restrained. He opened his eyes to see a bright light above him.

    "He's awake, surprisingly."

Surprisingly?

    "What's going on?" Kris asked.

    "You'll know in due time."

The strange person walked away, without Kris being able to get a good look at them. He looked at the restrains holding his hands and legs strapped to the chair. He noticed a vile of blood next to the operating table and an empty syringe. He felt himself get nauseous with fear and tried pulling in his restraints, without any luck of getting free. There was a mark on his arm where it looks like an IV was inserted and he can't even imagine what's going to happen or what already happened.

    "Wu Fifan, it's nice to see you awake and well."

    "Well I did get knocked out so I would assume I would be out cold for a while." Kris sneered, not being able to see anyone.

    "Oh you've got jokes. Joy."

    "Who are you and what do you want with me? Where's Tao?" Kris growled.

    "Mr. Huang is currently visiting his husband, he'll be joining us shortly. Now how about we get you out of those nasty restraints."

A women with long blonde hair came out in a lab coat with two body guards behind her. She snapped her fingers, making the two men release Kris from his prison.

    "Can you stand?" She asked.

    "Can I stand? Of course I can!" Kris exclaimed.

He moved to stand only to find out he didn't have an strength to get up. She stared at him as if mocking his inability to stand.

    "Um, I don't think I can." Kris said, in a low voice.

    "It's understandable as your body is still getting rid of the anesthesia." She answered as she snapped her fingers once more.

The bulky men helped Kris get up and supported him to walk.

    "Isn't this embarrassing to you? The Almighty Kris having help to walk." She teased, walking away.

Kris growled at her choice of words. They walked into an elegant room, which was concerning to him.

    "Have a seat."

Like he had a choice, as he was seated at a long table with only two chairs, wow.

    "Now you maybe wondering why you are here." She sat down in the other chair.

    "Like hell I do." Kris spat.

    "Based on your background we chose you to be apart of our research team like your friend, Zitao."

    "Background? What background? I grew up in Canada and played basketball in high school before moving to China to start college." Kris laughed.

   "We know that you were one of the students involved in a chemical accident.."

Kris turned serious as no one but his classmates knew about that.

    "What about it?" Kris glared at her.

    "As amazingly odd science is, we have a report of your DNA which reveals that even though there were no serious damages to your body, your blood possesses an ability no one has ever seen before."

    "Which means....?" Kris was confused where this was going.

    "Your body possesses the ability to have powers, like the ones superman has, to dumb it down for you."

Kris bursted out laughing at word, powers, while she stared at him with a blank expression.

    "Powers, that's hilarious. That's not even humanly possible, it's only in the movies." Kris wiped a stray tear from his eye.

    "I'll take you to see Zitao and his husband."