Lay's Promise

Life or Death

Lay was crying hysterically in his seat in front of Yeon Ni's desk. She sat in her spot, patiently waiting for Lay to stop crying. He held Xiumin's necklace in his hand, eyes red, signaling that he's been crying for a while now. Yeon Ni grabbed a box of tissues from her drawer and placed them in front of the heartbroken male. Lay looked at her and tried to speak only to be overcome with more tears. He blew his nose and hiccuped, taking deep breaths to try and calm down. Once he finally brought himself under control, he cleared his throat while throwing his used tissue away,

    "Under your instructions, we've cremated Minseok. Do you want to keep his ashes or do you have a request on where his ashes should be laid to rest?" Yeon Ni was solemn.

Lay bit his lip and blinked back any new tears threatening to emerge.

    "I want to keep part of him, the rest I want to be buried in his coffin." Lay's voice cracked.

Yeon Ni studied Lay, he was slumped in his seat, eyes mixed with emotions, pale. He was an exact opposite of what he looked like when he sat that with Xiumin next to him a year ago.

    "I know this must be hard for you and I know how it would feel to lose a loved one."

Lay's body shook with stiffed hiccups as he looked into her eyes. Sincere.

    "I've lost someone close to me years ago and I've recovered. It wasn't an easy path but if you surround yourself with friends and family, you'll pull through."
He nodded and covered his mouth to keep from crying. Rising from his chair he bowed and thanked her for her time. Once he finally left she sighed, drumming her fingers on the desk.

Lay went back home and stared at his house, empty.

    "Minseok, can you hear me?" Lay stared at the snowflake in his hand, "I don't know how long I'll be able to keep this up. I feel like I know their true motive and it's not what you thought it was. I'm trying to be oblivious but it's getting harder and harder each day without you. You died because of them and it's not fair at all!" Lay's eyes began to tear up.

He remembered arguing with Xiumin when they first got involved with PURE. Xiumin was a strong believer that they were doing the right thing and they will rid the world of deadly diseases but Lay wasn't too convinced. He believed that it was too good to be true and there would be consequences. Xiumin didn't believe in it because they were able to come out of the accident alright without any damaging after effects, he thought they were special.

    "You should've listened to me!" Lay screamed, hitting the steering wheel.

The car horn honked making Lay jump in his seat. He began to blink back his tears then rested his head on the wheel, away from the horn.

    "You sh-should've list-ened to me...." Lay heavily sobbed, "Then-n you w-would be here, sitting next to me... instead of over there!" He looked over at the graveyard where his boyfriend was buried.

Lay continued to cry for what seemed like forever until he decided to leave his car. He was feeling really lightheaded and just wanted to lay in bed but his foot caught onto the gas pedal sending him to the ground. His head hit the ground hard, falling into a deep sleep, outside of his car. When he awoke the next morning he noticed the early morning frost on the grass and groaned. The grass surrounding his head was painted red but when he felt his forehead there was no sign of a scar.

    "Right, healing ability." Lay scoffed.

He looked back to see his left foot stuck under the gas pedal and groaned once more. A few of his neighbors, who take morning walks, looked at him weirdly as they passed by. He waved, trying to be normal but having your legs in the car and the rest of your body outside isn't very normal. After a while he got his foot unstuck and he laid in the wet grass for a few minutes before he got up, shut the door to the car, and walked inside. He set the keys down on the table by the door and stood there.

    "I'll bring them down for you, Minseok. I promise."