Xiumin's Promise

Life or Death

Shortly after the move, Xiumin was admitted to the PURE's hospital, it was odd to Lay. His condition wasn't getting better as he wasn't in control of his power anymore causing his health to deteriorate with it. Lay would constantly wake up with frostbite all over his body that he would have to go to the hospital immediately and not know how to explain the situation. He would also find the apartment, on many occasions, frozen over and Xiumin would be sitting in the middle, crying. Now Lay was watching Xiumin lay in bed all day, wasting his life away. The medical examiners would be constantly be working on an antidote for Xiumin's condition and it would work for a while but his body's cells have begun to mutate that they've been rejecting the treatment. Lay's not sure how that works but he knows it's bad. What was worse is that since Xiumin is weakening, his power have been glitching out and freezing anything in sight so Lay has to enter the room with full winter gear in order to be safe.

    "I'm fine, Kyungsoo.... Xiumin? Um...." Lay looked at his boyfriend and saw him resting peacefully, "He's been better......Yeah, they've tried their best but there's no way they can save him.... No it's not cancer.... It's.. complicated. You're more than welcome to visit again but I warn you to bring a winter coat because the damn AC is broken.... Yeah just like in the cafe."

Xiumin began to stir, making Lay smile.

    "I'll talk to you soon, and tell Jongin to stop telling everyone its cancer. Bye." Lay hung up and found his phone was halfway frozen, "I'd appreciate it if you didn't freeze my phone every time I use it." Lay smiled.

Xiumin opened an eye while chuckling.

    "You know I can't control that," Xiumin sat up his bed as best he could, "Were you talking to Kyungsoo?"

Lay got up from his chair and ran his hand through Xiumin's frost covered hair, kissing his forehead.

    "Yeah, they're all worried for you." Lay spoke in a calming voice, "I like the snowflakes in your hair."

Xiumin blushed a pale blue color and chuckled.

    "I'm gonna miss you so much, Minseok." Lay's voice cracked.

Xiumin looked up at Lay in time to feel a tear drop fall on his cheek, freezing instantly.

    "Yixing, things happen for a reason. I'm glad I get to be part of an organization that's going to help the world, I'm not sure how but I know things will change." Xiumin smiled.

    "You're so lame," Lay wiped his tears away while laughing, "but I've always loved that about you." Lay's warm lips met cold Xiumin's cold ones, and there was still that spark.

    "That's gross."

Lay straightened up to see Kris leaning against the door and Luhan hitting his rude boyfriend.

    "I forgot you guys were coming, had I remembered I would've locked that door and put a chair in front of it." Lay hissed.

    "Hey, we're visitors. Don't be rude." Kris the sass, making Luhan roll his eyes.

    "Um.. I brought some cinnamon rolls, they're not like how Minseok used to make but they're pretty close." Luhan blushed in embarrassment, frosting still visible on his cheek.

    "You're so sweet, Lulu." Minseok beamed.

Lay made his way to the door while Luhan took his original position.

    "How long does he have?" Kris whispered.

    "A couple of hours is what I heard." Lay buried his face into Kris' shoulder.

Kris watched Luhan and Xiumin talk like nothing, like they were back at the cafe and nothing was wrong at all.

    "Have you been writing more?" Luhan asked, picking apart his cinnamon roll.

    "Songs, no." Xiumin stuffed a piece of the cinnamon roll in his mouth, "I have been writing letters though."

    "That's cool." Luhan's cheek puffed out with the food in his mouth.

    "How broken do you think Luhan will be?" Lay asked, wondering about himself as well.

    "Not as broken as you," Kris replied, making Lay tense, "But if you ever want support, Luhan and I will greet you with open arms." Lay smiled and punched Kris's arm.

Eventually all the cinnamon rolls were gone and Xiumin's eyes could barely stand being open any longer.

    "Minseok, I wish you would pull through." Luhan started to fearing the worst.

    "There's no way he could." Kris answered, Lay sadly nodded in agreement.

    "It's just not fair, you have your whole life ahead of you!" Luhan began to tear up.

Xiumin looked over at Kris making Lay nudge him forward to stand on the other side of the latter. Kris would rather be at a distance because he couldn't bear the sight of Xiumin looking so defeated. Xiumin held onto Luhan's hand as the latter cried.

    "Kris..." Xiumin's voice was starting to fail him.

Oh boy. Kris leaned closer to hear Xiumin better with his soft voice.

    "Promise me you'll watch over Yixing.. and that you won't get Luhan involved with anything bad, because.... he's my little brother and.... I would hate to see him up there...... before his time..." Xiumin exhaled his last breath with the closing of his eyes.

Kris's eyes widened when he heard the heart monitor flatline and stared at Xiumin, feeling Luhan's eyes look up to him.

    "I promise." Kris mouthed.

Lay covered his mouth and silently cried to himself in the corner of the room, as the moment he was dreading finally arrived.

    "Minseok!" Luhan cried hysterically.

Kris moved over to Luhan, rubbing his back a bit before carrying him out of the room. What will hurt the most for Kris is seeing that smile on Xiumin's face once he passed. He was happy in that moment and he will never be happy again. Lay walked over to Xiumin and collapsed in the chair.

    "Goodbye Minnie, I hope you always watch over me. Now how am I going to live without you? I thought I was ready, but... I'm not," Lay stared at his boyfriend's lifeless body as the doctors came to take him away, leaving him alone in the room, just like in the cruel world. "I'm not ready at all..."