56 | The Trainer

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
"I'll take my leave then," Rima stands up and gathers her paper. I stop staring at her as she walks to the door.
 
"Eh? Why so early?" Yoseob asks, taking off his headphone which he used to listen our recording just now. "I still want to ask about the last refrain part."
 
"I need to meet up with the President," she answers, obviously avoiding eye contact with me. "Perhaps you can ask Junhyung. Excuse me."
 
"She doesn't look really good today," Hyunseung mumbles after Rima closes the door, leaving six of us in the recording room. "Does she work too hard?"
 
I drop my gaze, trying to act as if I know nothing about what happened to her. I pretend that I'm reading the lyrics even though my mind is actually wandering to somewhere else.
 
Ever since the conversation I had with Rima on the rooftop, we barely talk unless it's about work and we're together with the other members. I never try to talk with her in private as well.
 
Since when did I become this coward?
 
"How's the choreography, Gikwang?" Doojoon turns to face me, demanding an answer. "If the dance moves are fixed, we can start the dance practice as soon as possible."
 
"Ah, just a little bit more," I answer, looking up from the lyrics. "Perhaps the day after tomorrow. Hyunseung will help me after we finish this session."
 
"Ah, so many things to finish in such a short time," Hyunseung sighs and leans to the back of the chair. "It's been a while since our comeback. I really need to adapt with the schedule again."
 
"We will be a lot busier," Dongwoon grins widely. "Remember this year we will be the trainers for trainees again."
 
I almost forget about it actually. The seniors will be responsible in sharing knowledge and training session. The distribution will be given to us today.
 
Despite the fact that I believe I can forget about my problem with the busy schedule, I still can't get rid the guilty feeling whenever I see Rima's face. I don't want to hurt her but this is the only way to protect her, isn't it?
 
Even though she is not an idol, she is still the daughter of the influential Kim family. I don't think her father will be proud of her for being famous with scandal.
 
"Focus, focus," Doojoon clasps his hands, gaining our attention altogether. "BEAUTIES are waiting for us to comeback! Hwaiting!"
 
I need to focus now. Things can be worse if I don't act as a professional.
 
There is only one thought in my mind now. How can I maintain to still be good friends with Rima so her feeling will not change towards me?
 
Because maybe one day the chance will appear for us. At least I want to believe it.
 
 
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
"How is the progress, Rima?" the President asks me with a smile, fixing his glasses position. "Looks like everything is all good, isn't it?"
 
"Yes, it is. BEAST is really cooperative," I answer casually, trying my best to act as if nothing happened. "It's a pleasure to work with them."
 
Honestly speaking I still feel uncomfortable after breaking up with Gikwang. Well if I was in a relationship with him before. I don't even understand if we managed to be a couple at first or not.
 
I don't want to understand anymore. Seriously. I mean I never thought about being in a relationship before I fell in love with him. Perhaps I should have forgotten about him since seven months ago.
 
People said heart can't lie. How I hope it's not true now because I will be working under the same agency with him.
 
Isn't it childish if I move out from CUBE just because I don't want to feel heartbreak again when I look at him?
 
"Well, like I said before, you will be trained under the one who has more experiences in composing songs. I always have the program every year and it's good enough," the President starts our conversation. "The problem is I never put a songwriter under training before."
 
I keep silence, waiting for him to finish his explanation. He taps his fingers on the table, "I've considered about it for a while and I think it's the best yet risky decision."
 
I tilt my head, wondering about what he is trying to say. Is it that risky to have me as a trainee?
 
"You will meet your trainer tonight because he has a schedule before. Is it alright for you to wait till night here?" he asks me. "Perhaps you two can discuss about the training you need."
 
"Sure," I agree right away. It's not like it will be my first time to return late. "Where will I meet my trainer?"
 
The President smiles, "Meet him in the meeting room. Now I need to finish some documents. Have a good day, Rima."
 
"Have a good day," I stand up and bow to him. I turn around, heading to the door to leave his office room.
 
"Rima," he suddenly calls out my name. I turn around to face him once again. "Is there anything you want to tell me about your relationship with BEAST?"
 
I freeze for a second at my stand. I tighten my grip at the handle before faking a smile, "No, there is nothing."
 
If Gikwang gave up on me already, why do I need to fight for us anymore?
 
If... 'us' ever existed.
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
"These are the files of the trainees," one of the staffs hand over the files to us. "We have prepared the meeting rooms for all of you to meet them. I know it's late already so you can wrap up things in your own way."
 
"Thank you," I murmur as I take the blue folder from Dongwoon. I'm quite surprised when I see the position of the trainee.
 
Songwriter.
 
I thought I would train a rapper again this time but I think the President wants to give me a new experience.
 
My eyes widen in shock when I see the name of the trainee. Out of all people, why should it be her? Why would I be her trainer?
 
"Ah, a lead vocalist who can play piano," Dongwoon nods randomly as he reads his trainee's profile. He turns to me, "What is yours?"
 
I quickly close the file, hiding the profile from Dongwoon. He looks surprised with my sudden reaction. Why do I have a feeling that it will be kind of awkward if they know I will be her trainer?
 
"Let's split up now. It's late already," I stand up, hoping that they will not notice that I'm hiding something. "I'll leave first. See you guys later."
 
I storm out from the room and go to the meeting room which has been prepared for me and my trainee. I hesitate for seconds when my hand has touched the handle.
 
"All or nothing, Junhyung," I murmur to myself and finally push open the door to see someone is already waiting for me inside.
 
When she turns around to see who her trainer is, her eyes also widen in surprise. Looks like she has no idea that I will be her trainer. I close the door and smile awkwardly, "Rima, what a coincidence."
 
"You... You will be my trainer?" she doesn't hide her doubtful tone even for the slightest. She even raises her eyebrow; her arrogance surfaces. I only nod at her, taking a seat across from her. "Wow. I never expected it."
 
Still avoiding her gaze, I rub the back of my neck. I spread the paper and take a pen, ready to write whatever I need to note for our training session later.
 
"You don't feel comfortable with me as your trainee," she blurts out the statement. I finally look up and see her rubbing her temple with a sarcasm smile. "It's alright if you want to change your trainee. I'll talk to the President."
 
"Can you stop jumping into your own conclusions?" I heave a sigh. This side of her never changes, I guess. "I'm a professional, Rima. I'll treat you as my trainee if I'm assigned as your trainer."
 
We stare at each other for seconds before she breaks our eye contact and take out her own note book to write down what we will discuss, "Let's start."
 
How can I tell her that it's not that I feel uncomfortable when I'm with her? I don't think Gikwang will be happy if he finds out that I'm Rima's trainer even though I'm not the one who asked for it.
 
Not to mention that I sense something strange between her and Gikwang lately. One day they looked really good and happy-go-lucky and the next day they had the gloomy atmosphere.
 
"Well, I guess that's all," she puts down her pen and looks at me. "Thank you. I'll see you in three days then."
 
I flash a smile to her before walking to the door. I was going to open the door when she suddenly tells me a surprising statement, "Gikwang and I are not together."
 
"What?" I turn around, frowning with confusion. I thought she told me that things were going alright between them.
 
"Like I said. We're just friends. Ah, no, it's professional relationship," she walks to my stand and reaches out her hand to open the door. "He said things would never work out between us."
 
I hold the door so she can't open it. She looks up at me, tilting her head as I ask her with curiosity, "Why do you even bother to tell me?"
 
"Because-" she stops and sighs. "I think you need to know. That's all."
 
She opens the door and leaves without another word, leaving me dumbfounded. I stand there for seconds, wondering about what actually happened between them.
 
Should I feel at ease now that they're not together and I become her trainer?