52 | The Inevitable

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
"You are the only one who can have my heart
No matter how far you are
We can't be separated
You are irreplaceable"
 
I tap my pencil on the table, filling the room with the noise. I am hesitating to write comment about Gikwang's part.
 
It's perfect. Too perfect that my heart feels a tug whenever I listen to his voice.
 
"I've tried to erase you
I've tried to forget
But the more I tried, the more I couldn't
Whenever I close my eyes, you are here
Whenever I open my eyes, you are gone
Will you forgive me?
Will you let me love you?
Again, again, again, I will tell you thousand times
My one and only
I love you"
 
Right after Junhyung's rap part, I stop the recording and heave a sigh, leaning my back against the chair. I close my eyes and try to focus with the silence.
 
I'm working in the vocal room of CUBE Entertainment alone even though it's only eight in the morning. The President has granted me permission to use the vocal room so I can work with the song.
 
I have created the melodies. I have written the lyrics. They have tried singing it and they like it. I just need to make sure they will do it perfectly.
 
Yesterday I had discussed with the President about my contract with CUBE Entertainment. He agreed to let me work under his agency with one condition.
 
Since I'm an amateur who doesn't have experience yet, I must be trained under the well-experienced composer first. I'm allowed to compose songs but the trainer of mine will check my progress.
 
I will be under the probation for at least three months. If I manage to do well within the three months, I will be acknowledged as a composer for CUBE Entertainment.
 
He also let me use my pen name, "Stranger". To be honest, it's really generous of him to let me work for his agency when I have caused quite a stir before because of my fake relationship with Junhyung.
 
Everything looks really perfect for my life now.
 
My father let me to choose my dream job. My mother allowed me to return to Seoul despite the fact that she wanted me to live with her. I learned about writing lyrics from my cousin.
 
But still... my heart is not settled yet.
 
"Ah," a familiar voice murmurs. "Sorry. I don't know that-"
 
I turn around to face the person who just opened the door. His face shows his surprised expression when he sees my face, "Rima?"
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
I arrive at the CUBE Entertainment building earlier than others. They will come over in two hours, meaning I must use the time wisely before they come.
 
Our new single will have three new tracks and one instrumental track. We have agreed that "The One" will be our title track and the instrumental version will be one of our tracks.
 
Now I must compose other two songs to complete the single so I can satisfy the fans.
 
I walk to the vocal room for us and open it without hesitation. I am really surprised to see someone is sitting on the chair, giving her back to me.
 
"Ah, sorry. I don't know that-" I apologize to the person but I immediately freeze when she turns around, having her black thick-rimmed glass on.
 
"Rima?" I mumble her name, frowning with disbelief. What is she doing here alone?
 
"It's really early for you to come at this time," she stands up. "I'll leave if you want to use this room then."
 
"No, no, it's alright," I quickly exclaim before she leaves. "I just want to think about the new track. It's alright. Maybe you can help me."
 
Rima looks at me with unsure look but then she takes her seat again and intertwines her fingers, "I just listened to your last recording yesterday."
 
Silence.
 
"I see...," I murmur and then take a seat next to her. "Well... How does it sound? Good?"
 
"Great," she comments casually and takes off her glasses. "Still need practices though."
 
Another silence.
 
"Look-" both of us suddenly speak in unison. We look at each other and open up our mouths together again, "You first-"
 
We stop and then she smiles to me, "It's alright. You go first."
 
"I...," I pause for seconds. "I'm sorry. I welcome you here, just in case you think otherwise. In fact I'm glad that we can work together."
 
"Again," I add the word.
 
Despite the fact that I'm still mad at her for leaving me without further explanation, I must admit that I am actually really happy to meet her again.
 
I just can't express it freely.
 
"Thank you," she mutters with another sweet smile. "I... I was wondering if you're the one who came up with the idea for the title."
 
"Yes, it's me," I answer slowly. How did she know? "Why?"
 
"Just a hunch," she chuckles and then props her chin on her hand, looking at me directly. "It's a really good one actually."
 
My heart skips a beat when I look at her. It's been a while since the last time we're alone, when she looked at me like this.
 
"Tell me something, Junhyung," she starts another topic calmly. "How are you and Hara?"
 
 
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
I feel relieved when Junhyung tells me that he is glad that we can work together again. It doesn't feel right if you work with someone who doesn't like you, right?
 
Curiosity crosses my mind when I look at his face, "Tell me something Junhyung. How are you and Hara?"
 
I never found a news about them together again or something like that. There is a part of me who is waiting for Junhyung to tell me that he is back again with Hara but then there is another part of me who doesn't want to hear that answer.
 
"We're good," he answers without any change of expression. "In case you think I will be back again with her, you're just wrong, Rima."
 
"Everything is possible, isn't it?" I mutter. "It's almost a year. Who knows what happened while I was not here."
 
Junhyung sighs heavily and then says, "Don't you think you still have a promise to me, Rima?"
 
I hold my breath upon his question. Of course I still remember the promise. I never lie and I don't want to lie.
 
"I've settled mine. Will you settle yours?" he asks the question I've been expecting.
 
I take a deep breath and clench my fists in silence. I don't know what I should say to him even though I knew this is inevitable; he would ask me sooner or later after our meeting yesterday.
 
"Follow your heart, Rima."
 
Sora's words cross my mind again. Her message has been lingering in the past months, haunting me to determine where my heart goes.
 
Maybe she is right. Maybe Junhyung is right. Running way doesn't solve anything. It just postpones what I should do.
 
And that's why I returned to Seoul. To finish what I've left behind.
 
"Junhyung," I dare myself to look at him. "What do I mean to you?"