47 | The Promise

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
I tuck my hands inside my pockets and let my eyes to wander around, looking for the girl I really want to meet.
 
"Then tell me something. Is it alright for you if I confess to her?" I asked Junhyung, ignoring the fact that my heart was clenching as the question was out. "If she doesn't return my feeling, I will give up on her. I will respect your decision. Whatever it is."
 
Junhyung kept silence. He didn't even look at me. He closed his eyes as if he was deep in thought, thinking about the answer he would give to me.
 
Maybe I was wrong to ask him like this. Why would I corner him with this question?
 
"It's alright," I forced a smile and patted his shoulder lightly. "You don't need to answer it. Just... ignore it."
 
I turned around and took my iPod so I could change the track. That's when Junhyung suddenly opened out his mouth.
 
"Tell her," he said, gaining my attention right away. "If you really love her, tell her, Gikwang."
 
"What?" I frowned, afraid that my hearing was being deceived. Did he just tell me to confess my feeling to Rima?
 
"If she returns your feeling, then I will give up on her. It's just that simple, right?" Junhyung concludes. "If she doesn't return yours, I'll take the chance."
 
"Whoever she chooses, no hard feeling," he put his hand on my right shoulder. "I... I know my feeling for her is real."
 
The conversation I had with Junhyung is still vivid in my memory. His expression when he told me that his feeling is real flashes in my mind again.
 
Is it really alright for me to confess my feeling?
 
Junhyung is one of my best friends. He is like my real brother and I really think I don't stand any chance against him.
 
"Ah, I'm sorry, I'm late."
 
Rima stops her step in front of me and I blink in admiration, looking at her with black long-sleeved blouse and red skirt. Her hair is tied in a bun with a ribbon.
 
She looks gorgeous.
 
"It's alright," I smile to her, tilting my head. I reach out my hand and take off the ribbon without her permission, "As long as you let your hair down when you're with me."
 
She covers with the back of her hand, blushing obviously. I chuckle; how I miss her shyness whenever she is with me.
 
Yesterday I called her and I was relieved when she picked up my call. I told her that there is a place I want to show to her. She agreed to meet me today even before knowing where we will go.
 
"Come on," I give her a sign to follow me. "It's a little bit far from here but you will not regret about the distance once you see the place."
 
"What place is it?" she asks me, following my steps carefully.
 
I look at her and put my index finger on my lips playfully, "It's a surprise."
 
On our way to the place, we talk about the preparation of BEAST's new album. I try really hard to avoid the topic about Junhyung or the collaboration project since I don't want to sink down the atmosphere.
 
"How's your ankle?" Rima finally starts another topic. "Is it still hurt?"
 
"It's not serious. Don't worry," I assure her with a smile. "I'm more worried about you actually."
 
She gives me a questioning look, a sign that she doesn't understand what I'm talking about. I pat her head gently, "Did Junhyung make you smile that day?"
 
Her expression darkens and I know I have taken a wrong step. She looks away and heaves a sigh, "I... Eric told me that I... No one really loves me."
 
As if she knows that I'm thinking that she will cry, she looks up and forces a smile, "But don't worry. I mean who is he to break my heart anyway?"
 
We stop the conversation and talk about other stuffs. After around fifteen minutes, we finally arrive at our destination.
 
The Ice Gallery.

 
"Huah, it's beautiful...," Rima murmurs in English as she looks at the white tiger ice sculpture. "Ice Gallery..."
 
"It's the world's first indoor ice sculpture gllery and it's open one year-round," I tell her as we walk to the locket to buy tickets. "It will be a little bit cold though."
 
"Ah, I'll pay mine. How much-" Rima is going to take out her wallet but I ruffle her hair after grabbing the tickets from the staff.
 
"It's my treat today," I grin widely. "It's our first date so I will pay for everything today."
 
Without waiting for her respond, I take two jackets from another staff, handing one of them to her because it will be at least five degrees celcius below zero inside.
 
"Ah, Igloo!" Rima chirps with excitement when we walk pass the first ice sculpture. Somehow she looks like an elementary school student in the middle of school trip. "Is that a pagoda?"


 
She rushes to another ice sculpture and quickly takes a picture of the pagoda with her phone. I can't help my smile when I look at her; looks like I made a good decision by taking her to this place.
 
Rima turns around and her face beams when she sess the ice pension. She fastens her pace, forgetting about how cold it is.
 
"Rima," I call her but she doesn't hear me. She is admiring the beautiful ice pension from outside, cupping her cheeks with both of her hands.
 
I walk to her in silence, standing right behind her. I wrap her waist with my arms, resting my chin on her right shoulder.
 
She flinches a little because of my sudden gesture. I smile and close my eyes, "Are you happy?"
 
"E-Eh?" she stammers cutely and I chuckle at her reaction. I open my eyes and let her go before planting a kiss on her forehead.
 
"I'll make you smile everyday if you let me," I whisper to her. My heart is beating really fast but I dare myself to look at her directly. "Will you let me to cherish you, Rima?"
 
Since I don't want the moment to pass yet because of my confession, I take her hand and lead her to see another ice sculpture, "At least let me cherish you today."
 
There is no one I can think about other than Rima now.
 
Maybe I fall too hard already that I can't help myself to get up from being in love with her.
 
"Gikwang," she calls my name and my heart skips a beat. We have been walking around for almost an hour and we are standing next to the Ice Cafe.
 
"Hmm?" I tighten my embrace because her hand is really cold. "What is it, Rima?"
 
All of a sudden she hugs me. I blink in confusion, "R-Rima? What's wrong?"
 
"Let me stay like this...," she clutches on my shirt, resting her head on my chest. "Just for a moment..."
 
Why do I feel deja vu? This had happened before...
 
"Rima," I hold her shoulders firmly so I can look at her face directly. "Don't tell me you're going somewhere again."
 
She said that before she left us to Seattle. The different is she was crying that night. I didn't know that she would leave without telling us anything but now I have the feeling that she will leave again.
 
"Where will I go?" she shakes her head with a weak smile. "I just... I guess I just miss you too much."
 
She takes a step backward and then turn around, giving her back to me.
 
"Gikwang," she mumbles and then turns her head to look at me. "Thank you for today."
 
Her smile makes my heart to stop beating for a second. She is really beautiful for a reason I can't explain.
 
Though there is a hint of sadness in her smile.
 
"Ah," Rima takes out her phone and stares at the screen. "I must return now. Yujin Unnie has called me."
 
"Rima, I-" I stop abruptly. My bad feeling keeps lingering; why do I have a feeling that she will go far away?
 
"Yes?" Rima tilts her head, waiting for me to continue my words.
 
"Let's go somewhere again together," I give my pinky finger to her. "I promise I will show you another beautiful place."
 
Rima stares at my finger for seconds before she links hers with mine.
 
"Promise."
 
 
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
I immediately stop walking when I hear the melodies of piano from the music room. I used to be the only one who played the piano in this house.
 
I open the door slightly to find Yoorin is playing the piano while my mother is standing right next to her, listening to the melody.
 
"Rima!" my mother notices my presence. Yoorin stops playing and turns to look at me, giving me her usual confident smile. "Where did you go?"
 
"Somewhere," I answer her and step inside. There is no way I can tell them that I just went out with Gikwang, right? "That's a good play, cousin."
 
"Thank you," Yoorin replies and crosses her hands together. "You're going to take the offer, right? I will take it if I were you."
 
I hold my breath upon her question. I clear my throat, "I think so..."
 
"I still can't believe your father finally allowed you to study music," my mother approaches me and hugs me. "I'm sorry about Eric. He never agrees with our marriage but I promise Marc will be a great tutor for you in composing."
 
"Marc is one of the best lecturers in The Royal Academy of Music," my mother tells me proudly. "I have so many things to talk to you, Rima!"
 
I nod randomly and fake a smile, "Sure. We can talk everyday now..."
 
"I can't wait to return to London next week!" my mother exclaims and holds my hand. "You must look the Big Ben by yourself!"
 
My mother keeps talking about the beautiful view of London until Yujin comes and tells us that the dinner is ready.
 
"Rima," Yoorin mentions my name when my mother has left first. "What about your relationship with Yong Junhyung?"
 
"What about it?" I retort and scoff. "It's not a real one."
 
"He likes you for real," Yoorin states when I open the door. "You know it more than anyone else."
 
"And I know that in the end, once again, I'm just stranger for him," I tell her, clenching my fists tight.
 
I close my eyes, trying to control myself because emotion is ripping me inside, "He'll be fine without me."
 
"If you say so," Yoorin shrugs and walks pass me, leaving the room without another word.
 
I look at my pinky finger, the one I used to link with Gikwang's.
 
"I'm sorry, Gikwang...," I place my hand near to my lips.
 
I'm sorry for the vain promise.