14 | The Party

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
I stare at the ring which I don't want to wear for the last four months since the day I broke up with Hara. I still have the ring I was going to give to her that day in my shelf because I can't throw it away just like it's nothing, right?
 
Even though I have broken up with her, I can't deny the fact that she is one of the most special persons in my life; Hara filled my days with her love for almost two years.
 
Despite the truth where both of us were busy with our own schedules, we loved each other. Whenever I asked her about what her wish was, she always told me that she just wanted me to be with her and stayed healthy.
 
I couldn't ask more from her.
 
Was I in rush to propose her? Is that why she rejected my proposal? Am I not good enough for her?
 
Do I still love her?
 
"Just...," I closed my eyes and inhaled Rima's sweet scent, "...let me stay like this for a while."
 
I tightened my hug, burying my face in her hair, not wanting her to be away from me. I didn't know how long we stood in silence until she finally pushed me slightly to have a good look of my face.
 
"I remind of you Hara, don't I?" she touched my cheek softly with her right hand. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to-"
 
For a second I had the urge to stop her from continuing her word by locking our lips together but my senses were still working; I covered with my right hand while my lips pressed my backhand.
 
Our lips were only separated by my hand so, technically speaking, our faces were only inches away.
 
My blood was rushing to my brain in abnormal speed. I pulled my hand away and cupped her cheek while she was freezing on her feet.
 
"Don't be sorry...," I kissed her forehead. "I didn't even think of her until you mentioned her name."
 
That was true. If Rima didn't mention her name, she won't cross my mind at all.
 
"I'll be back tomorrow night then," I stepped back with uncontrollable heartbeat. "See you tomorrow, Rima."
 
"I'm an idiot," I murmur to myself, changing my position to sit on my bed. "Why did I kiss her forehead? Now she must think that I'm an aggressive and weird person."
 
I take a glance of my phone. It's already 4 PM and we're free from our schedules for today.
 
Maybe I need to apologize to her.
 
But why do I need to apologize?
 
I don't feel guilty of kissing her forehead.
 
But why don't I feel guilty?
 
"Aish!" I mess my own hair and stand up, grabbing my phone before storm out from my room and head to Rima's apartment. "I really need stop the voices in my head!"
 
When I'm wearing my shoes, Gikwang just stepped out from his room with a formal white suit. Our eyes meet and he gives me an awkward grin, "Ah... Are you going somewhere, Junhyung?"
 
"That's my line," I raise my eyebrown and look at him from head to toe. "Where are you going with such a formal suit?"
 
"Somewhere?" he laughs and I know he is hiding something. "I need to attend a party for my friend and I'm actually a little bit too late. I'll see you later then."
 
He quickly wears his shoes and rushes out from our apartment without giving me any further explanation. Feeling that something is not right, I want to follow him right away but my brain tells me that maybe I need to change my clothes as well.
 
After changing into my formal suit, I take the elevator and wait for him at the ground floor, hoping that I arrive faster than him. I hide my face by pretending as if I'm reading a news paper.
 
My hunch is really good because a moment later Gikwang appears with Rima is walking next to him. I blink in admiration when both of them walk pass me, don't have a single clue about my presence.
 
Rima is wearing pink dress and pink high heels. Her long black hair is tied with a white ribbon but Gikwang pulls the ribbon from her and puts it in his pocket, "Don't tie your hair."
 
My heart clenches when I see Rima blush because of Gikwang's gesture. She blushes even harder when he pats her head before both of them leave the building, looking for a taxi.
 
Without even thinking twice, I stop another taxi when they have stepped in a car. I ask the driver to follow their taxi and I sit in silence, wondering where they are going together.
 
I get my answer when their taxi stops in front of a big house where many luxurious cars also stop by to drop their passengers. I can even see the congratulation banner along the road.
 
"Congratulations Kim Rima and Eric Hazelwine for the engagement party!"
 
This is Kim family's residence, one of the richest families in South Korea. I remember that Rima watched the news about their engagement days ago and she showed a really surprised expression.
 
What is she doing here... and why is Gikwang with her anyway?
 
 
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
I quickly take two masks for me and Gikwang as soon as we step out from the taxi. After we wear them properly, I step inside my house after two weeks.
 
Nothing changes inside of this house except there are pink decorations here and there, the color I like the least; I wear the pink dress my mother bought for me just because I want to lessen the possibility of my father to know I am here. Even Yujin doesn't know about me coming today.
 
There are roses everywhere and people are making the main hall of my house really crowded. I look around to find the main casts of this party but since the party hasn't started yet, they are nowhere to be found.
 
"Rima," Gikwang whispers and grabs my wrist, making me to spin around and face him. My heart skips a beat when he puts a hairpin on my hair. "Don't take it off."
 
I recognize it's the hairpin he bought to me before but I refused his gift and returned it right away. I could see his smile as he mutters, "So I can differentiate you from the others."
 
He leans and whispers to my ear, "Even though I'm pretty sure I can do it because you look really dazzling today."
 
I unconsciously do my habit, hiding my blush with the back of my hand covering my mouth. Gikwang chuckles and offers me his hand to take, "The party is going to start, my lady."
 
After hesitating for seconds since I don't want to look suspicious yet my heart is already beating out of control, I take his hand and walk with him to the side of the hall.
 
I can see Yoorin walks down from the staircase with her arm is linked to the man who I believe is Eric Hazelwine. They are the only two persons who don't wear the different masks from the guests.
 
My father walks behind them and he gives his short speech after Yujin gathers the attention with clapping her hands, "Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I am really honored to see so many guests here to celebrate the engagement between my only daughter and Eric."
 
I hold my breath, feeling impatient because I can't believe my father decided this big decision of his own. Yoorin is not helping me at all either.
 
"I want my daughter, my only successor to continue my work. I'm glad she agrees to be engaged with such charming and successful young man," he continues his speech, sweeping the audiences with his eyes. "The world out there is not as easy for such a little girl like Rima but I'm sure Eric can accompany her."
 
"You're really mad, aren't you?" Gikwang asks me when Eric starts his speech. I ignore Eric and look at Gikwang furiously. As if he knows that I am speechless because of the rage, he pats my head gently, "Remember that I'm here with you, okay?"
 
How many times will he make me blush?
 
I still can't believe he really accompanies me to attend this party. At first I only thought of attending the party and talked in person with my father.
 
After what happened between me and Junhyung, I even forgot about Gikwang's offer until he came to my room this morning, asking about what he should wear for the party; he's serious.
 
So here I am at 'my' engagement party with Lee Gikwang, the main dancer of BEAST, who happens to be my crush at this moment.
 
Did I just say that he is my crush?
 
"Come on," Gikwang pulls me to the center of the hall as the music starts. "We need to dance along for now. Try to slip and talk to your father later."
 
The ballroom dance starts and I swear my heart is going to explode when Gikwang puts one of his hands on my waist while he puts my left hand on his shoulder.
 
Even though I can do ballroom dance pretty well, I am in a complete nervous state because of our close gap. I try really hard not to look at his eyes until I must exchange my dance partner.
 
My eyes are locked on my father who just excuses himself to the kitchen. I was thinking about walking away and follow him when it's the turn to exchange dance partners for the fourth times but my next partner holds my hand and forces me to dance with him.
 
"I'm sorry, I need to-" I immediately stop struggling and explaining to him that I need to do something else when I recognize his cologne.
 
This is the cologne Junhyung wears. He wore it yesterday and, when he hugged me, I could inhale the scent deeply that I recognize it right away.
 
"Junhyung?" I whisper with disbelief.
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
It's a good thing that this party is a masquerade party. I quickly wear the masks for the guests which have been prepared at the front door. At least no one can recognize me as the main rapper of BEAST now.
 
I stare at the house with amazement. This house is really luxurious that I can understand why the engagement party doesn't need to be held at a party hall.
 
While I try to find Gikwang and Rima, the party has started and I can see a young man with blonde hair girl steps down together. After that Mr Kim gives his short speech before I finally find Rima and Gikwang are standing side by side, holding hands; I immediately recognize them from their clothes.
 
I clench my fists, fighting back the jealousy feeling inside of me.
 
When the party starts, a woman asks me to be her partner dance and I agree just because I know I must find one way or another to stay without being suspicious.
 
My eyes never leave Rima until, for my surprise, she becomes my next dance partner. However when it's my turn to dance with her, she steps away but I quickly take her hand and position ourselves to continue the dance.
 
"I'm sorry, I need to-" She tries to let go of me by pulling her hand away but stops all of a sudden.
 
My heart skips a beat when my name leaves her lips, "Junhyung?"
 
I unconsciously tighten my wrap around her waist, pulling her even closer to me. I can see her blushed cheeks but she tries to fake a cough to hide her nervousness.
 
"What are you doing here?" she asks me, trying to lower down her voice to avoid distracting attention from others. "Why are you here?"
 
"Those are my questions," I retort calmly, trying to control my own heartbeat because I can't stop staring at her. "What is Gikwang doing here with you?"
 
Instead of giving me an answer, she stomps on my feet, causing me to yelp in pain. I let go of her and she walks away, heading out from the hall quickly.
 
I sigh and follow her outside. I find myself standing in a beautiful house backyard; there is a small pond and a swing for two people with rose as the decorations.
 
"Did you follow us?" Rima asks me, still giving me her back. Somehow I know she is blushing so I step closer to her yet she doesn't turn to look at me.
 
"Do you want to be alone with Gikwang?" I blurt out the question and I mentally slap myself because it's not the question I want to ask actually.
 
"Is it that bad if I want to be with him?" she murmurs and finally turns to look at me with sad eyes. "Am I not allowed to like him?"
 
I just open my mouth to open but a voice behind me stops me all of a sudden.
 
"Rima? Is it you?"