51 | The Warning

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
"The One," I repeat the words, frowning as I try to consider the title. "I like the title. It's simple but meaningful."
 
"I agree," Dongwoon chirps in with wide grin. "I like how it sounds."
 
Junhyung puts on a smirk as a sign that he is happy with his skill to decide the title within seconds. Hyunseung pouts with a smile while Yoseob discusses it with Doojoon.
 
"So...," Doojoon turns to look at all of us in sequence, "...are we deal here?"
 
Before any of us can respond, the door is pushed open by the President. He steps in the vocal room with someone following him behind.
 
I swear my heart is going to jump out from its place if it's possible. I don't even bother to look at others' reaction because my eyes are locked on her, wondering if I'm only dreaming or not.
 
Her hair is longer now and she doesn't tie it as a ponytail. I can see the shimmering silver hairpin on her hair. The only change I recognize from her is the fact that she wears high heels instead of flat shoes like how she used to wear.
 
She looks more mature from the last time I saw her.
 
"Well, I believe all of you have known her," the Presiden starts while none of us say a word. "Let me introduce your co-composer for your new single. She goes with 'Stranger' as her pen name though."
 
He gestures the familiar girl to introduce herself, letting her to take a step forward. She bows slightly to us with a confident smile on her face, "I will be working under CUBE Entertainment as the new composer. Please look after me."
 
She doesn't even bother to introduce her name, meaning that she is indeed the one I think... or all of us think.
 
"Rima?" Yoseob is the first one to speak out her name. "You'll be working as our composer? You are the one who created this song for us?"
 
She smiles to Yoseob and tilts her head, "I hope we will get along, BEAST."
 
There it goes. My heart beats really fast again just by looking at her smile.
 
My heart hasn't changed; I still love her.
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
"I will leave you then," the President excuses himself. "You can discuss about the song and I hope to hear good news later."
 
However my focus is not on the President. Even after he left the vocal room, my eyes are still locked on Rima. Even when Doojoon and Yoseob approach her, I stand still since I can't take my eyes off of her.
 
Is this even real? Is this a dream?
 
"Rima, aren't you supposed to be in London? Don't you have course to attend?" Hyunseung asks her with confusion. "Or have you finished your course there in several months?"
 
"Is it true that you're going to be our composer?" Dongwoon asks another question quickly even before she can answer one. "You're really the one who wrote the song?"
 
"One by one," Doojoon cuts in calmly. "How can she answer us when you give her endless questions?"
 
Rima holds her laughter when the others give awkward grins as their apologies.
 
"Welcome back," Gikwang suddenly speaks. A genuine smile forms on his lips as he takes steps closer to Rima. "We miss you."
 
Instead of giving a specific answer to Gikwang, Rima turns to look at me and then nods slightly, "Someone is not happy with my presence, perhaps?"
 
Knowing that her words are pointing to me, I snap out back to my senses and clear my throat awkwardly, "Welcome back. I'm just... I was really surprised to see you."
 
I don't lie. I did hope that the co-composer is her. I just never expected my hope would come true. I never thought she would really be here.
 
There are seconds of silence before Yoseob breaks the silence cheerfully, "Well, we have listened to the song and guess what? We love it!"
 
Rima looks surprised at first but then her lips turn into a curve, "Thank you. Glad to hear that."
 
That sweet smile is real.
 
Rima has returned to my life again.
 
 
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
"The improvisation is good," I comment casually, reading my handwritten notes on the paper, "but I think it's better if you do it on the refrain part along with Yoseob."
 
After my surprising appearance, I could feel the awkward atmosphere but Yoseob and Dongwoon tried to lighten up our conversation with their cheerfulness. Thanks to them we continued to practice the song after they asked numerous questions to me.
 
Doojoon and Hyunseung asked me about why I returned to Seoul without any news. Yoseob asked me why I stopped attending my course at London. Dongwoon asked me how I could end up meeting with the President.
 
Even Gikwang asked me about where I stay at Seoul now.
 
The only persons who didn't ask me any question is Junhyung. It's like he doesn't expect me to be here with them.
 
I promised them that I would answer all their questions after I listed to their recording. I comment their recording with my absolute pitch skill and tell them my critics.
 
After that I calmly explain to them that I moved from London to New York after having the experience The Royal Academy of Music, I felt like I would be better with field experience instead of theoritical experience.
 
Both my mother and Marc finally agreed to let me move to New York with Yoorin. Marc sometimes came to visit us and taught us about composing.
 
Yoorin and I helped each other in developing skills. While I'm better in composing, I found out that Yoorin is really good in writing lyrics. She told me tips and tricks for writing great lyrics and I used the knowledge to compose my first song.
 
It's the one I gave to BEAST for their new single. Unfortunately I'm never good in picking a title so I let it be an untitled one till this moment.
 
"Long short story, my father contacted the President around two months ago since he thought it's better if I have a job," I end my explanation. "And this is where I am now."
 
"So will you work for CUBE permanently?" Doojoon asks another question, looking at me with curiosity.
 
"As long as I'm welcomed here, I will," I answer him honestly. "If someone doesn't want me to be here, I will walk out with no complaint."
 
For a moment, my eyes meet with Junhyung's. I'm actually trying to quip him. It feels just wrong that he doesn't say a word to me when we finally meet again.
 
Perhaps Yoseob, the sensitive one of them, realize the tense between me and Junhyung because he suddenly stands up, clasping his hands together, "We have a title for this song already! The One. Do you like it, Rima?"
 
"The one...," I murmur to myself, breaking the eyes contact I had with Junhyung. "It sounds good..."
 
I write the words on the paper and reads it twice before smile to him, "The One it is then."
 
Perhaps it is indeed a perfect title for this song... since I made this song for the one in my heart.
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
"Are you sure you don't want to have dinner with us?" Doojoon asks Rima once again when I'm wearing my jacket.
 
"I have a meeting with the President," Rima answers. "Perhaps next time. Thank you for the offer anyway."
 
"If you say so," Doojoon nods randomly and walks to the door. "See you later then, Rima."
 
We leave the vocal room and head to the basement to find our van. We will have dinner together after the recording session where Rima told us about her reason being here.
 
I talked none during the question and answer moment. I was speechless since I didn't know what I should say to Rima.
 
It's not that I'm not happy that she returned to Seoul. It's just...
 
I don't know.
 
"Yah, Junhyung," Yoseob hits my shoulder lightly. "Earth to you. What's wrong with you?"
 
We're already finished our dinner at the nearby restaurant and my mind is still not in my body. It's still wandering somewhere.
 
"Nothing," I take a sip of my drink quietly. "I'm just tired."
 
Doojoon exchange looks with Yoseob before he fakes a cough and taps his fingers on the table, "There is something I want to talk about."
 
I have a feeling where this conversation is heading to.
 
"Junhyung, Gikwang, I know you two have a history with Rima and I'm not going to lecture you about your life but...," Doojoon gives us a warning look, "...I really hope we work as professionals."
 
Gikwang gives a nod with a sheepish smile, "Will do."
 
Doojoon turns to me, waiting for my answer. I my lips and sigh, "I know. I already have too many scandals to live with."
 
"Face your own past. After that I'll settle mine with you."
 
Even though I have determined it, her words never leave my memories.