01 | The Stranger

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
I play my fingers on the white tunes, producing the harmony that echoes in the room. I close my eyes, feeling unexplained joy overflowing inside of my heart as I play the piano.
 
Moonlight Sonata is indeed my favorite piece of classical music. How can I even thank all the composers and musicians that have let me hear beautiful collections of melodies?
 
"I said no!" I hear my father's sound from outside of the room. From his tone, I know he is feeling really annoyed. "Now move! It's almost midnight and she is not sleeping yet! What is she thinking?!"
 
"She has a gift, Mr Kim," a soft voice replies him; it's Lee Yujin, my private tutor since I was twelve years old. "You can't waste her talent!"
 
"No," my father scoffs with anger as he opens the door. "Rima will never have whatever to do with music. I forbid her!"
 
The door is swung open by him, causing my eyes to meet with my father's directly. My smile vanishes as he gives me a deadly glare. I stand up, ready to hear his lecture.
 
"How many time have I told you that you are not allowed to play any kind of musical instruments unless you are practicing for daily lessons?" he scolds me without hesitation. "It's almost midnight and you have to attend a welcoming party tomorrow!"
 
I decide to keep silence because I know whatever I'm going to say will never change his mind. Yujin gives me an apologetic look but I only give her an awkward smile to assure her that I'm alright.
 
"Rima, you are going to be my successor so please act like one," my father sighs with disappointment. "I'm generous enough by letting a piano and a violin inside of this house because you need to learn basic ethique of an elegant lady."
 
"Since when did music make me doesn't look like your daughter?" I finally speak out. I grit my teeth and dare myself to stare back at him. "If it's not because I still can play music here, I think I would have left this house ever since we arrived here."
 
"You!" he lifts his hand to slap me but he stops his hand all of a sudden in the middle of the air while I don't even blink. He shakes his head, "When will you stop arguing with me, Rima? It's a week already and you keep trying to get on my nerves."
 
"I will stop if you try to at least understand me better," I put a sarcasm smile. "I love music and you know perfectly that I am capable to be-"
 
"You are the only daughter of Kim family!" my father cuts my words harshly. "You can't disgrace our family name with your childish dream!"
 
I clench my fists and grit my teeth, pressing my anger because of his unreasonable words. Unfortunately he doesn't notice it because he continues again, "Rima, I really care about you and I don't want you to live in a dream forever."
 
That's it.
 
"If you really care for me, you will never hate what I love!" I finally let my emotion takes control over me. "Everyone starts with a dream. Everyone believes in their dreams. That's why people can be success."
 
"Dream is only for kids!" he snaps back at me and I can see Yujin flinches a little due to the sudden rising tense between us. "You are twenty years old already, Rima! Stop thinking that a dream can help you live in this cruel world!"
 
I take a deep breath, closing my eyes to control myself before I mumble, "I think I know why mother left you."
 
I know I'm not supposed to say that to my own father but it's the fact. The words must have annoyed him really hard because his expression changes immediately and the next second I know, his hand already slaps my left cheek.
 
"Mr Kim!" Yunji gasps in surprise, rushing to my side with worried look. "Rima, are you alright?"
 
"Don't you dare...," he hisses with anger in his eyes. "I don't want to hear your reason anymore, Rima. You are going to let the world know that you are my daughter tomorrow at the welcoming party."
 
He storms out from the room, leaving me alone with Yujin. I touch my cheek with my hand; it hurts but my heart hurts more than my cheek.
 
"You know that Mr Kim didn't mean to hit you, Rima," Yujin tries to comfort me. "He really loves you. He let you to play piano at the party tomorrow, remember?"
 
"He let me to do that so his colleagues will think that I'm not only a spoiled brat who can do nothing," I speak my thought out loud honestly. I smile to Yujin, "I'm sorry that you even need to stand for me, Unnie."
 
"Don't say thing like that," she holds my hand gently. "I think of you like you are my little sister, Rima. I know you have a talent and your father will realize it sooner or later."
 
"As if he will," I fake a laughter and then glance at the piano. "He hates music and I don't think he will change his mindset. He is too stubborn to do that."
 
"Just like you, right?" Yujin raises her eyebrow, teasing me with the obvious fact. "You need to rest tonight, Rima. The party will be really tiring for you. Come on, I'll walk you back to your room."
 
Without a word, I leave the room with Yujin, heading back to my bedroom. She bids me good night and I enter my room, feeling empty all of a sudden.
 
I throw myself on my bed, staring at the ceiling with uneasy feeling. Even after staying a week here, I still feel unhappy with everything.
 
"What should I do?" I murmur to myself and close my eyes, trying to think of an idea. "It's like a prison for me here..."
 
A rebellious idea crosses my mind when I'm thinking about the possibility to avoid attending the party tomorrow. I sit up and then look around to analyze my whole room, thinking about what I shall take away with me.
 
I grab my luggage, stuffing my clothes inside and then takes my phone, iPod, and a small jewelry box my mother gave to me when I celebrated my seventeenth birthday. I also take my secret money saving which I put in my wardrobe; I'm glad I'm not the type who loves to spend money for fashion.
 
"If a wall is blocking my way, I just need to break it down," I smile to myself and then walk to the door.
 
I stop abruptly and let go of my luggage. I take a piece of paper and then write down a letter for my father. I'm not a disrespectful daughter after all... or maybe I just don't want him to cause a chaos by thinking that I am abducted by someone.
 
"My dream is not something decided by someone else.
 
If you're right, if a dream is only for a kid, I will return to this house without any complaint. I will do whatever you tell me to as your successor.
 
But until that day, give both of us time. For you to realize about my dream. For me to realize how cruel life is.
 
I'm sure you don't want the world to know that the only daughter of Kim family is running away from her family, do you?
 
You can do whatever you want to hide this fact. I don't want to bother about it.
 
Take care.
 
 
Your daughter,
Kim Rima"
 
"Now...," I fold the paper and put it on my bed, "...it's time to leave."
 
 
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
I just returned from recording an episode of my upcoming drama when I see Junhyung walks out from his room. He wears his black coat and black hat, having his Mac in his hand.
 
"Yah, Junhyung," I call him when he is wearing his shoes. "Where are you going? It's almost midnight, you know."
 
"Inspiration," he answers shortly. "I need to finish at least a song in this week for our new album and I can't even think of a fresh idea."
 
Ah, right. For the new album of BEAST, Junhyung has been appointed to compose the songs by himself. Even though we also help him, Junhyung is still the one who will be the main composer of our new album.
 
"I have finished the refrain part though. Let's hope I will finish the whole song tonight," he mumbles. He then turns to warn me, "Don't stay up too late. You need to take a good rest. See you, Gikwang."
 
"I know, I know," I wave to him as he opens the door. "See you, Junhyung. I hope you will find your inspiration."
 
He flashes me a smile before leaving the apartment. I step inside and let myself to have a quick shower before finally checking my Twitter. I can't help myself to smile when I read mentions from my fans; they are always encouraged me.
 
Not feeling sleepy yet, I decide to read some news across the net, hoping that there is an interesting news for me to read.
 
"Kim Joon is back to Seoul!
 
Kim Joon, the famous businessman who owns The Kim Organization, has returned to Seoul. Starting as a real-estate developer at New York five years ago, Kim Joon managed to enhance his business to worldwide which makes him well-know as a successful businessman nowadays.
 
Tomorrow night a welcoming party will be held for him and his only daughter who has never been revealed on public. Rumors have said that his daughter will be the successor to his business and people are really curious about his daughter."
 
Kim Joon. I've heard about his name before since he is one of the most influential persons in South Korea. I wonder how his daughter looks like though since public never saw her before.
 
I shrug the thought and continue to read some other news before I finally yawn and decide to sleep.
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
I plug the earphones to my ear, trying to listen to the sample of music I received from Shinsadong Tiger this morning.
 
I am sitting at a corner of a cafe near my apartment, having a cup of coffee to accompany me through the night. I know I shouldn't work this hard but I really need an inspiration right now.
 
My concentration is interrupted by a girl with black thick-rimmed glasses who drags a luggage along with her. She enters the cafe with confused expression, looking around as if she is looking for someone.
 
When she finally approaches a waiter, she accidentally drops her wallet which she put inside of the pocket of her gray coat.
 
Without even thinking twice, I take off the earphone and stand up from my seat and then takes the wallet. The girl is bowing down to the waiter who gives her a polite smile so I wait for her until she finishes talking with the waiter. When she turns around, I am already standing in front of her.
 
"You dropped this," I hand over the wallet to her. "Be careful next time."
 
"Ah!" she looks surprised. She takes the wallet and then gives me a gratitude bow, "Thank you. Thank you."
 
I nod slightly and return to my seat, ready to continue my work.
 
My eyes widen in shock when I realize that there is nothing on the table.
 
Nothing.
 
My Mac disappeared.
 
"What...," I can't even find a word to say because the shock is striking me. I only stand on my feet, blinking with confusion. Don't tell me I just lost my notebook!
 
"I'm sorry...," the girl murmurs vividly as I turn to look at her with disbelief look. "Is there a problem?"
 
"Yes, I just-" I stop immediately when I realize I raise my voice against her. I hold my breath and answer her, "Someone just stole my notebook."
 
I sigh and then sit on the chair again. I bury my face in my hands, feeling completely frustrated. My works are all inside there and I don't even remember a single thing about the rhythm now.
 
"Aish, how can I finish a song now?" I groan, rubbing my temple. "I don't even remember the refrain part."
 
"A song?" the girl tilts her head and then sits in front of me. "Are you a composer?"
 
I frown, looking at the girl in front of me. I guess my disguise equipments work really good if she doesn't recognize me as the main rapper of BEAST... but I don't even wear sunglasses tonight.
 
Do I sound too cocky?
 
"Kind of," I reply weakly, still feeling down with the fact I just lost my precious files. "I have a sample of the song I need to finish inside."
 
She puffs her cheeks and puts on a serious expression on her face. She looks up and asks me, "Do you still remember the notes or maybe how the song sounds like?"
 
"Not really," I answer her, feeling curious about this stranger now. Why does she even ask? "I think I remember how to sing the first verse though."
 
"I...," a smile forms on her lips and she states with confident, "I think I can help you."